Pivotal two weeks

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Pivotal two weeks

Post by Dinksy »

Five games between now and February.
Transfer window still open.
Possibly the most important fortnight of our season.
Here are my predictions:

Fleetwood - W
Good time to play them post Barton
Wimbledon - W
Lost four our their last five and heading for L2
Hull - L
Revenge mission for the Tigers
Lincoln - D
In good form
Charlton - D
In poor form but......we just just can't seem to beat them!

So eight points from those five games based on our current squad and form.
With such a poor bench, we need players like Jacobs to raise their game.
Better, we need to move out the chaff and sign some quality. As it is, we have no cover for Brown at all.
Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Re: Pivotal two weeks

Post by Keeprblue »

Looks about right to me, but I wouldn't bet an a loss at hull (hopefully).
hope Curtis will be fit.
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Long way to go but we're in a good place at the moment. I hope we have had our Covid incidents now, it's vital we don't lose Marquis or Big Mac. If I was Kenny I'd be locking them in a hotel!
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

once we get to February we will have played Lincoln, Hull, Fleetwood and Charlton home and away. If we are in the top 2-3 as we enter Feb we will be in great shape,

Need to stay healthy - on and off the field, get 2-3 players in before the window for depth and cover and then we have every chance to get promoted this season. Only Peterborough and Donny look like a danger at this point.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

...and so we get to the crux of the season. Eight days see us play Hull (H), Lincoln (H) and Charlton (A); the top two and our bogey team. 5-6 points would be very acceptable.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:24 am ...and so we get to the crux of the season. Eight days see us play Hull (H), Lincoln (H) and Charlton (A); the top two and our bogey team. 5-6 points would be very acceptable.
totally agree.

take it one game at a time now, there should be little need for motivation as the opposition and the importance of the game will do that for the players. The team is in tremendous form, is fit (touch wood), is scoring goals, keeping clean sheets and can dig in when needed. Confidence is high. Pompey couldn't have positioned themselves better if they had tried going into these three games.

The two wins vs Fleetwood and Wimbledon has set up the month of January beautifully. Four pts from those three games would still give them 10pts from 15 for the month during the hardest stretch of games in the season.

I think it actually helps Pompey that Hull, Lincoln and Charlton will want to attack Pompey allowing their counter attacking game to be dangerous. Fleetwood and Wimbledon were more content to sit in and keep their shape. Should be an interesting and exciting eight days.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:01 am
Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:24 am ...and so we get to the crux of the season. Eight days see us play Hull (H), Lincoln (H) and Charlton (A); the top two and our bogey team. 5-6 points would be very acceptable.
totally agree.

take it one game at a time now, there should be little need for motivation as the opposition and the importance of the game will do that for the players. The team is in tremendous form, is fit (touch wood), is scoring goals, keeping clean sheets and can dig in when needed. Confidence is high. Pompey couldn't have positioned themselves better if they had tried going into these three games.

The two wins vs Fleetwood and Wimbledon has set up the month of January beautifully. Four pts from those three games would still give them 10pts from 15 for the month during the hardest stretch of games in the season.

I think it actually helps Pompey that Hull, Lincoln and Charlton will want to attack Pompey allowing their counter attacking game to be dangerous. Fleetwood and Wimbledon were more content to sit in and keep their shape. Should be an interesting and exciting eight days.
But even after these three games, we will still only be just over half way through the season: played 24 out of 46 games.

Plenty of time to end up in the play-offs ..... again! PUP
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Milton End wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:35 am
totally agree.

But even after these three games, we will still only be just over half way through the season: played 24 out of 46 games.

that's the spirit! :-) Although we will be only half way through we will have finished playing: Fleetwood, Hull, Lincoln and Charlton. We have to play Peterborough and Donny away but Sunderland and Ipswich are at home.

If you are looking for some positives take a look at the run in from end of March. Not counting any chickens but you could not really ask for a better last eight games.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:46 am
Milton End wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:35 am
totally agree.

that's the spirit! :-) Although we will be only half way through we will have finished playing: Fleetwood, Hull, Lincoln and Charlton. We have to play Peterborough and Donny away but Sunderland and Ipswich are at home.

If you are looking for some positives take a look at the run in from end of March. Not counting any chickens but you could not really ask for a better last eight games.
Better? Accy twice in that time......hmmm........
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Accy is twice in last ten not last eight......and with respect its Accy. it is not Sunderland, Hull, Donny, Lincoln or Peterborough away now is it? Accy at home on the last day of the season is basically as hard a game as there is in the last eight.

Accy won't have anything to play for by then anyway
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Hope I am not tempting fate here but I think we will easily beat Lincoln, so any points against Charlton or Hull will be a bonus. We could beat them both but if I was a betting man I would beta against that.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Dinksy wrote:Five games between now and February.
Transfer window still open.
Possibly the most important fortnight of our season.
Here are my predictions:

Fleetwood - W
Good time to play them post Barton
Wimbledon - W
Lost four our their last five and heading for L2
Hull - L
Revenge mission for the Tigers
Lincoln - D
In good form
Charlton - D
In poor form but......we just just can't seem to beat them!

So eight points from those five games based on our current squad and form.
With such a poor bench, we need players like Jacobs to raise their game.
Better, we need to move out the chaff and sign some quality. As it is, we have no cover for Brown at all.
Thought I was being a tad pessimistic a couple of weeks ago with these predictions but the reality is only six points our of a possible 12. Can we finally beat Charlton today and make it a more respectable nine from 15?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think we need a win today. I think we lack that little bit of extra quality that takes us from a play off side to an automatic promotion side.

Maybe the lad from Swansea can make the difference?
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Kenny took his time to get people in, aware that these signings could his last. Let's hope they are the catalyst to lift us out of this division to a level our history and pedigree deserve.