Owners are out of touch with fans

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Owners are out of touch with fans

Post by streetrifle »

Surely at most other clubs Jackett would have gone by now to still give us a chance of making it to promotion, at the very least by the play offs. Instead they have stood by and watched the team subside and finally collapse under Jackett. Last night's debacle has confirmed what we all knew early in the new year. Jackett has lost the plot and in the old football chant 'doesn't know what he's doing'.
The owners and the Catlin are completely out of touch with the fans, who are not stupid. A new manager could come in now and at least it would give him a chance to look at and assess the squad and its needs, even if its hard to make the leap into promotion contention still.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Owners are out of touch with fans

Post by New Forester »

I suspect that we are more stupid than the owners. The first thing we need is our football club to be run responsibly and to continue to give us league football. Judging how much to invest in a club isn’t easy. The owners made clear from the start that it was going to be a brick by brick approach. Things have not gone as well as hoped this season for a variety of reasons. The thing that we have lacked these past few weeks is the luck needed to win more matches when not playing well. I totally get keeping Jacket until his contract runs out. We need to start next season with a new manager with the funds needed to have a serious chance of winning the league. I don’t want us to limp up through the play offs.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Agree with NF.

Will add that fans can be fickle and that after the poor start to the season when everyone was calling for Kenny’s head that it didn’t take long for some fans to start getting behind him when we had that good run round Christmas. If the owners sacked managers everytime a team hit a poor run of form then most clubs would go through about 3 a year 🤗.

That being said I fully expect and hope Kenny is no longer managing us next season. He’s had a good crack of the whip and had some good times but we need some new ideas and a change moving forwards. Especially as iirc a few players will probably be off at the end of the season making it a good time for someone to come in a rebuild.

Ironically the thing I’m most worried about is the Salford game. Winning that would at least give us something to cheer about this season and who doesn’t want to be the first team to retain the trophy? Playing as we are at the moment I’d be worried about losing that game against an underdog team who will probably put in a shift to prove themselves against the team from the league above. If we play with the energy we have of late we won’t match them.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

It's very easy to spend other people's money, isn't it.

I don't believe for one moment that the Eisners are out of touch with the fans - both Michael and Eric are on Twitter, and will read the comments that are made.

What we, as fans, have to remember is that our club is not in financial trouble. The club is having to spend out on wages for all the employees on the sporting side of the company - the players, management, physios, etc., etc. The club has been cut off from the its primary source of income. Therefore, the club has been paying those people from its cash reserves, and when they ran out, it has been propped up by the owners. Swindon Town have publicly proclaimed that they are on the verge of collapse. We are not.

If Kenny Jackett goes, then Joe Gallen goes too, as does Bobby Bacic, probably Jake Wrigley, probably Phil Boardman. Don't know about John Keeley, as I think he was here before Kenny. In any event, that's a lot of people whose contracts need to be paid, plus you then have the recruitment costs for all those replacements. Of course the owners don't want to do that, especially as the contracts end in, what, 2 or 3 months?

I've said it before on this forum, the managers believed they were going in the autumn, but managed to stay because of the run of results they masterminded. I do not believe that they will be retained if we are not promoted.

But they will not go before the season's end.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:01 pm It's very easy to spend other people's money, isn't it.

I don't believe for one moment that the Eisners are out of touch with the fans - both Michael and Eric are on Twitter, and will read the comments that are made.

What we, as fans, have to remember is that our club is not in financial trouble. The club is having to spend out on wages for all the employees on the sporting side of the company - the players, management, physios, etc., etc. The club has been cut off from the its primary source of income. Therefore, the club has been paying those people from its cash reserves, and when they ran out, it has been propped up by the owners. Swindon Town have publicly proclaimed that they are on the verge of collapse. We are not.

If Kenny Jackett goes, then Joe Gallen goes too, as does Bobby Bacic, probably Jake Wrigley, probably Phil Boardman. Don't know about John Keeley, as I think he was here before Kenny. In any event, that's a lot of people whose contracts need to be paid, plus you then have the recruitment costs for all those replacements. Of course the owners don't want to do that, especially as the contracts end in, what, 2 or 3 months?

I've said it before on this forum, the managers believed they were going in the autumn, but managed to stay because of the run of results they masterminded. I do not believe that they will be retained if we are not promoted.

But they will not go before the season's end.
My thoughts exactly. But written far better than I could have.

With the current situation we are lucky to have the owners we do.

Many supporters seem to expect a champagne lifestyle to come from a lemonade wallet.

In fact I'd say many fans are out of touch with the owners. Not the other way round.
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

To New Forester: I can't agree with your comment that our recent demise is down to us not having had the luck you need to win matches when you're not playing well. I think most fans would agree that the recent slide is down to a bit more than that.

To; Locky McLockface: Its still entirely possible for us to go up this season via automatics or play offs under a new manager. The stakes are high for the owners with the riches of the Championship in view. Do they really want another year in League One, because I'm not sure the fans would swallow that. I agree that it would require contracts for Gallen, Wigley and Co to be paid up but that is an expense that is allied to progress and ambition in football at times. The 'new manager' syndrome in football often provides great stimulus and the right choice of new manager would provide a great boost to the fans and players alike.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:31 pm Do they really want another year in League One, because I'm not sure the fans would swallow that.
With all due respect I think fans have short memories and forget the days when we were panicking about whether or not we would still be in business let alone competing for promotion. I am forever grateful for the time, effort and money the supporters trust put in to ensure the survival of the club and would hate to see that hard work undone by a return to the mentality of knee jerk reactions and making unsound financial decisions that just don't make sense.

I don't disagree with your other points by the way. The "new manager syndrome" is a very valid point. On it's own and not taking into account the bigger financial picture I'd be all for it.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:31 pm To New Forester: I can't agree with your comment that our recent demise is down to us not having had the luck you need to win matches when you're not playing well. I think most fans would agree that the recent slide is down to a bit more than that.

To; Locky McLockface: Its still entirely possible for us to go up this season via automatics or play offs under a new manager. The stakes are high for the owners with the riches of the Championship in view. Do they really want another year in League One, because I'm not sure the fans would swallow that. I agree that it would require contracts for Gallen, Wigley and Co to be paid up but that is an expense that is allied to progress and ambition in football at times. The 'new manager' syndrome in football often provides great stimulus and the right choice of new manager would provide a great boost to the fans and players alike.
As I keep saying, I don't believe the owners want us to be promoted. Beaten play-off finalists would be the dream scenario. Maximise the income, minimise the implications - and I don't blame them!
Rocketman
Martin Kuhl
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rocketman »

Lots of sensible posts on this topic. I don't agree that the owners have lost touch, and I do agree that we are very fortunate to have them. They are doing exactly what they said. However, Jackett has clearly lost his way, lost the support of the fans, and looks like he's lost the trust of the players. Given that KJ's et al's contract is almost up, why not just put them on gardening leave which won't cost anything extra, bring in someone like Guy W for the remainder of the season (shouldn't cost much), at least that would instil some passion and energy into the team (totally lacking yesterday)
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Locky_McLockface wrote:It's very easy to spend other people's money, isn't it.
Funny, I was thinking just that listening to Mr Popular (soon-to-be-amended) Rishi Sunak's budget speech today.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Dinksy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:24 pm
Funny, I was thinking just that listening to Mr Popular (soon-to-be-amended) Rishi Sunak's budget speech today.
Literally boasting about saddling us with over £400bn MORE debt.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr Dee wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:30 pm
Literally boating about saddling us with over £400bn MORE debt.
I feel you're all at sea with that post lol.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:35 pm
Mr Dee wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:30 pm
Literally boating about saddling us with over £400bn MORE debt.
I feel you're all at sea with that post lol.
Edited 😁
Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Post by Keeprblue »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:38 am Surely at most other clubs Jackett would have gone by now to still give us a chance of making it to promotion, at the very least by the play offs. Instead they have stood by and watched the team subside and finally collapse under Jackett. Last night's debacle has confirmed what we all knew early in the new year. Jackett has lost the plot and in the old football chant 'doesn't know what he's doing'.
The owners and the Catlin are completely out of touch with the fans, who are not stupid. A new manager could come in now and at least it would give him a chance to look at and assess the squad and its needs, even if its hard to make the leap into promotion contention still.
I agree about the owners, and jacket should have gone ages ago.
But are we good enough to get into the championship?
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 5 times

Post by meakinsl »

Keeprblue wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:57 pm
streetrifle wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:38 am Surely at most other clubs Jackett would have gone by now to still give us a chance of making it to promotion, at the very least by the play offs. Instead they have stood by and watched the team subside and finally collapse under Jackett. Last night's debacle has confirmed what we all knew early in the new year. Jackett has lost the plot and in the old football chant 'doesn't know what he's doing'.
I agree about the owners, and jacket should have gone ages ago.
But are we good enough to get into the championship?
Pre-Christmas we looked good for at least a play-off final, maybe a stretch for auto, be nice just to be out of the division and whilst we are not ready for championship if we got there would give everyone a boost and being 1 spot above relegation places at end of season would be a result. We are lucky to be financially stable but Jackett for me has really run his course, if they are not going to extend him then why as others have said don't we just pay him to end of season and bring someone else in for a potential short term boost - could backfire of course but KJ can hardly claim to know the players the best at the moment with the strange selections that would be fine if they paid off.