General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, lakespfc, Chris_in_LA, Admin, General Mods

#903255
So you do realise that we are in a lockdown don't you, you realise that the club has no income this season?? You realise that paying off all the staff costs a fortune.

But hey let's just sack the manager and ceo everything the fans aren't happy, great way to build up the club
By Jack_Tinn
#903265
portchesterblue wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:14 pm
So you do realise that we are in a lockdown don't you, you realise that the club has no income this season?? You realise that paying off all the staff costs a fortune.

But hey let's just sack the manager and ceo everything the fans aren't happy, great way to build up the club
is that you Mark Catlin? Seriously though you have a valid point but equally it is KJ's job to get the team to play well and this season, albeit it with the added difficulties you highlight, is just like the previous seasons under KJ. Good players on paper, looking lost and confused at times, not enough attacking intent but occasional patches of hope when things click for a few weeks sprinkled in just to keep the wolf completely from the door.
#903270
streetrifle wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:31 pm
To; Locky McLockface: Its still entirely possible for us to go up this season via automatics or play offs under a new manager. The stakes are high for the owners with the riches of the Championship in view. Do they really want another year in League One, because I'm not sure the fans would swallow that. I agree that it would require contracts for Gallen, Wigley and Co to be paid up but that is an expense that is allied to progress and ambition in football at times. The 'new manager' syndrome in football often provides great stimulus and the right choice of new manager would provide a great boost to the fans and players alike.
Yes. You're quite right. We could. With the benefit of hindsight, I agree that they should have gone earlier in the season, but it didn't happen.

But what you're suggesting they do costs money. They do not have any money coming in to do that with.
By PakefieldBlue
#903284
Locky_McLockface wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:14 pm
streetrifle wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:31 pm
To; Locky McLockface: Its still entirely possible for us to go up this season via automatics or play offs under a new manager. The stakes are high for the owners with the riches of the Championship in view. Do they really want another year in League One, because I'm not sure the fans would swallow that. I agree that it would require contracts for Gallen, Wigley and Co to be paid up but that is an expense that is allied to progress and ambition in football at times. The 'new manager' syndrome in football often provides great stimulus and the right choice of new manager would provide a great boost to the fans and players alike.
Yes. You're quite right. We could. With the benefit of hindsight, I agree that they should have gone earlier in the season, but it didn't happen.

But what you're suggesting they do costs money. They do not have any money coming in to do that with.
As a resident of Suffolk, I have a number of friends who are Ipswich fans. The buzz that Cook has already brought to the club and his public announcements that they can still get auto-promotion, has already created a momentum which I suspect makes them "the team most likely to sneak promotion at the death". Their owner is in the same position as ours (and not very popular with the fans, so didn't feel the need to appease them) but has decided to swallow the costs, and roll the dice.

It'll be interesting to compare the two different approaches of the Pompey and Ipswich owners at the end of the season.
User avatar
By jam tomorrow
#903299
Although I appreciate we are in difficult times and we have to be certain a change in management is needed. I honestly believe Jacket has had long enough to have put a decent team together. We have given him the benefit of the doubt this season but enough is enough. We have not progressed at all under his regime. In fact it has become more frustrating the longer he continues. We need to find a younger ambitious manager who can achieve the success we deserve.
By streetrifle
#903301
That's a fantastic post 'Jam Tomorrow'. Sums it up precisely and if the owners can't come to the same conclusion then they are either burying their heads in the sand or they have no interest in taking this club forward. Either way they are out of touch with the fans. Its up to them and Mr Catlin to face the facts and do the right thing for the club and the fans. If they don't then its up to them to face the consequences in the summer of fans not renewing their season tickets and a further significant drop in income next season.
At the very least we fans deserve a statement of intent either way from Mr Eisner.
User avatar
By Sam_Brown
#903302
Do you feel they should announce Kenny will no longer be manager come end of the season now? As opposed to waiting until the end of the season? I can't agree with that.
User avatar
By Selsey Bill
#903307
Sam_Brown wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:33 pm
Do you feel they should announce Kenny will no longer be manager come end of the season now? As opposed to waiting until the end of the season? I can't agree with that.
Not sure they can, or will, do that? We could still get promoted for starters, and then ...
User avatar
By GreenBlue
#903311
Streetrifle, you absolutely have the right to your views and opinions but on this one you are wrong. At least statistically in this room. The majority of posters who responded didn't back your view on the owners.

Perhaps a more accurate title to this topic could be "A few" or "Some" fans out of touch with the owners".

I also found it interesting the use of "we deserve..." or "...what wr deserve'" as if it is a right.

Having said all that, it is good to see fans so passionate about our club.
#903334
PakefieldBlue wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:41 am

As a resident of Suffolk, I have a number of friends who are Ipswich fans. The buzz that Cook has already brought to the club and his public announcements that they can still get auto-promotion, has already created a momentum which I suspect makes them "the team most likely to sneak promotion at the death".
The Cook feel-good factor worked a treat today I see :wink:
By PakefieldBlue
#903351
No Shot Sherlock wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:24 pm
PakefieldBlue wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:41 am

As a resident of Suffolk, I have a number of friends who are Ipswich fans. The buzz that Cook has already brought to the club and his public announcements that they can still get auto-promotion, has already created a momentum which I suspect makes them "the team most likely to sneak promotion at the death".
The Cook feel-good factor worked a treat today I see :wink:
:thumb Indeed!!
#903412
past memories wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:38 pm
In the words of Fred Dineage, Howe.
I'll have a pint of what he's drinking.

Eddie Howe (I assume you meant Eddie Howe) is being talked about as a future England manager. He won't step down to League 1. His next managerial job will be in the Prem.
User avatar
By Selsey Bill
#903414
jam tomorrow wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:00 pm
Although I appreciate we are in difficult times and we have to be certain a change in management is needed. I honestly believe Jacket has had long enough to have put a decent team together. We have given him the benefit of the doubt this season but enough is enough. We have not progressed at all under his regime. In fact it has become more frustrating the longer he continues. We need to find a younger ambitious manager who can achieve the success we deserve.
Jackett should have been sacked last summer following his inept handling of the play offs. I'm still struggling to come to terms with his decision to drop Naylor for Morris but, let's face it, he has continued to make inexplicable decisions like that throughout his time with us. I think it is maybe time for Catlin to move on too, and it wouldn't surprise me if he walked. He certainly doesn't need the money, and I've noticed recently that he is beginning to lose credibility with a significant number of our fans.
User avatar
By Ghengis Jones
#903416
Locky_McLockface wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:21 pm
past memories wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:38 pm
In the words of Fred Dineage, Howe.
I'll have a pint of what he's drinking.

Eddie Howe (I assume you meant Eddie Howe) is being talked about as a future England manager. He won't step down to League 1. His next managerial job will be in the Prem.
Money's on Palace (Crystal, not Buckingham).
The Word Association Thread, ill start

Girls

George Best.....

One of my favourite quotes 🙂 Mine too...I fou[…]

An unpopular question but...

So do we think it is Hull & Peterbor[…]

Burton

Burton were just too big and strong for us and we […]