Vaccine Passports.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Thats Rich
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Vaccine Passports.

Post by Thats Rich »

Am against it for pubs but maybe it has a place for big crowded events and for traveling abroad we must take into account the destination country's requirements.

The reason I am against it for pubs is it must be applicable for ALL on the premises. For example:-

Ok so I need a vaccine passport to go into a pub where behind the bar are two lovely young ladies serving.

These two ladies are too young to have had the vaccine yet so do they have to provide a negative test result so they can work. This test will have to be repeated every week so there goes their wages.
Why always me!
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Thats Rich wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:59 pm This test will have to be repeated every week so there goes their wages.
What do you mean by this? My wife currently gets tested twice a week because she works with special needs kids (lol she's married to me so course she does) but she doesn't have to pay for them.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Thats Rich
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Thats Rich »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:10 pm
Thats Rich wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:59 pm This test will have to be repeated every week so there goes their wages.
What do you mean by this? My wife currently gets tested twice a week because she works with special needs kids (lol she's married to me so course she does) but she doesn't have to pay for them.
If I have to show a vaccine passport then everyone else should also. If staff have not had the vaccine they should produce accurate test results. Ideally just open up in a secure way so none of this has to occur would be a better way forward IMHO.

In regard to testing I mean that this should be a PCR test which is very accurate and not a lateral flow test that can give false positives/negatives. I assume your wife is PCR tested and not lateral flow due to the nature and specific job that she does.

The thing that really bugs me is that the hospitality industry has spent loads of money making their cafe/pub/restaurant covid safe for next to no return as yet.

We will find out what the clown wants at 5pm anyway. :(
Why always me!
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Thats Rich wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:01 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:10 pm
If I have to show a vaccine passport then everyone else should also. If staff have not had the vaccine they should produce accurate test results. Ideally just open up in a secure way so none of this has to occur would be a better way forward IMHO.

In regard to testing I mean that this should be a PCR test which is very accurate and not a lateral flow test that can give false positives/negatives. I assume your wife is PCR tested and not lateral flow due to the nature and specific job that she does.

The thing that really bugs me is that the hospitality industry has spent loads of money making their cafe/pub/restaurant covid safe for next to no return as yet.

We will find out what the clown wants at 5pm anyway. :(
My wife does lateral flow tests. My understanding is that they aren’t as accurate but are accurate enough to make a difference. As always it’s a balancing act and a pragmatic attitude to risk needs to be taken. I guess as with everything subjective I don’t think you will get a 100% consensus on best way forwards. I suppose the only shining light is that these tests are less accurate but err more on the side of a false negative rather than false positive so chances of being made to self isolate when you don’t have the virus is mitigated. The tests reduce the risk of someone going to work while positive but don’t eliminate it.

Still not sure how getting tested affects wages though. Unless you are on about needing to isolate with a positive test in which case I agree and without the support being there people are going to come in even though they are positive. My wife had this issue when she was contracting and had to self isolate but wasn’t eligible for support so I’m not without sympathy for that side of things.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr Dee wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 pm I will read what's been said later. I can't stand to look or listen to the "man"
I get what you mean. He just flat out lied \ gas lighted the country stating that he left TFL in financial good shape when he left his role as London Mayor. The reality is he left it with 9.1 billion of debt.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:56 pm
Mr Dee wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:57 pm I will read what's been said later. I can't stand to look or listen to the "man"
I get what you mean. He just flat out lied \ gas lighted the country stating that he left TFL in financial good shape when he left his role as London Mayor. The reality is he left it with 9.1 billion of debt.
Hardly surprising, he lies constantly not that I think his successor is any better.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

It appears that the LibDems have finally remembered what their name means.
Just a shame they don't have a bit more clout.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:12 pm
Mr Dee wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:46 am
Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:52 pm
portchesterblue wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:45 pm People need some reassurance that letting you onto their pub, restaurant or wherever that you are not a risk to them and yhe other people. If you have had the vaccine whats the issue with proving it,? If you haven't why not??
Has it been proven having the vaccine actually stops you from catch and transmitting covid? I've not looked into it for a while but last time it seemed the science suggested that it essentially stopped you from dying if you did catch it. Not that it stopped you from catching it in the first place.
Yes, whitty said in a press briefing that it doesn't stop you catching/transmitting the virus but will reduce symptoms if you do.
I've asked in a few forums and on reddit etc now about the passports and so far I've not actually heard any rationale as to why they are required or the benefits. I've seen lots about how they might work and when and where you might need them but not the WHY.

I'm sure there is some rationale behind it but if there is it seems to be lost in the divisiveness and arguments around freedoms etc. I think the same can be said for the new news about making weekly tests available for everyone. Again what is the rationale for this if the majority of people at risk have been vaccinated already?

I know you and me have had widely different options on the handling of the pandemic. I've been very much on the side of "err on the side of caution" throughout the pandemic and have had no ideological issues with the lockdowns but even with that in mind I'm struggling to understand the rationale behind these passports \ weekly tests.
This is what I struggle with. It seems to be to give people reassurance that they are safe...

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pas ... t-12266689
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:45 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:12 pm
portchesterblue wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:45 pm People need some reassurance that letting you onto their pub, restaurant or wherever that you are not a risk to them and yhe other people. If you have had the vaccine whats the issue with proving it,? If you haven't why not??
Has it been proven having the vaccine actually stops you from catch and transmitting covid? I've not looked into it for a while but last time it seemed the science suggested that it essentially stopped you from dying if you did catch it. Not that it stopped you from catching it in the first place.
Yes, whitty said in a press briefing that it doesn't stop you catching/transmitting the virus but will reduce symptoms if you do.
I've asked in a few forums and on reddit etc now about the passports and so far I've not actually heard any rationale as to why they are required or the benefits. I've seen lots about how they might work and when and where you might need them but not the WHY.

I'm sure there is some rationale behind it but if there is it seems to be lost in the divisiveness and arguments around freedoms etc. I think the same can be said for the new news about making weekly tests available for everyone. Again what is the rationale for this if the majority of people at risk have been vaccinated already?

I know you and me have had widely different options on the handling of the pandemic. I've been very much on the side of "err on the side of caution" throughout the pandemic and have had no ideological issues with the lockdowns but even with that in mind I'm struggling to understand the rationale behind these passports \ weekly tests.
This is what I struggle with. It seems to be to give people reassurance that they are safe...

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pas ... t-12266689
Thank you 👍
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

They cynical me says that it's a bit of a scam for someone to make a lot of money out of these passports. It just so happens that Blair has been advising the government during the pandemic and on this passport issue and his foundation has been developing a passport system.
There is some evidence that it does reduce transmission.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00450-z
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... at-we-know
https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/newsevents/news ... ansmission

Reduce, not prevent.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Even Beijing Biden has ruled them out
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-56657194