An unpopular question but...

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

An unpopular question but...

Post by GreenBlue »

If we mske the playoffs, which teams will be our toughest opponents?

I'd say Sunderland, Blackpool and Charlton in that order.

I wouldn't overly fancy our chances however I know the playoffs can be a lottery... but we have to be in it to win it. PUP.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: An unpopular question but...

Post by Pompey Penguin »

GreenBlue wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:03 pm ... but we have to be in it to win it. PUP.
This. At the moment, I would be happy to just be in the play-offs. We can worry about opponents when we get there, but I don't think that there will be a lot of difference between them.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

If we are still conceding awful goals like the first one on Saturday, then (in no particular order):
Sunderland
Blackpool
Lincoln
Charlton
Ipswich and
Oxford
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

So do we think it is Hull & Peterborough automatically promoted?
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:06 am So do we think it is Hull & Peterborough automatically promoted?
I still fancy Sunderland, but two out of those three looks pretty sure.

Probably yet another season where the team that finishes third is going to be well ahead of the teams scrambling around for the remaining play-off places. They will then be feeling hard done by if they don't win the play-offs.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:15 am
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:06 am So do we think it is Hull & Peterborough automatically promoted?

Probably yet another season where the team that finishes third is going to be well ahead of the teams scrambling around for the remaining play-off places. They will then be feeling hard done by if they don't win the play-offs.
Which is why I've always thought that the team finishing 3rd should go straight into the play-off final and then the teams in 4th&5th play to win the other place in the final.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

The trouble with playoffs is the first leg is always so cagey. Every team approaches it with the mentality of 'doesn't matter if we don't win, just do not lose', which is why it ends up such a lottery.

There's still so much going on in the last 6-7 games anyway. So many teams need to play each other. Peterborough's keeper is out for the season, which is a big blow for them.

Sunderland will go straight up I think. Blackpool are going like a train. Hull have some challenging games, with only 5 fixtures left. I can see them being pulled into the playoffs.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Post by Keeprblue »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:42 am

Which is why I've always thought that the team finishing 3rd should go straight into the play-off final and then the teams in 4th&5th play to win the other place in the final.
I like that idea.
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Keeprblue wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:47 am

I like that idea.
Would have been an excellent idea in 1993....
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:56 pm

I like that idea.
Strangely enough that was that exact year I formed that opinion!! I still can't get past that offside goal from Ian Ormendroyd.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

PakefieldBlue wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:59 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:56 pm

I like that idea.
Strangely enough that was that exact year I formed that opinion!! I still can't get past that offside goal from Ian Ormendroyd.
From where I was sitting, I had no view at all to judge. I formed my judgement from the reaction of those spectators closer to the action......
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

!993 & 2020 Play-offs have gone, we can`t get them back, so why go there?
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:48 pm !993 & 2020 Play-offs have gone, we can`t get them back, so why go there?
Getting a bus from Manchester City Centre to Old Trafford and getting in for 4 shillings has gone, so why go there either? :wink: :D
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote=Locky_McLockface post_id=904812 time=1618400932 user_id=4]
[quote=BlueinPLtwenty post_id=904776 time=1618325309 user_id=76]
!993 & 2020 Play-offs have gone, we can`t get them back, so why go there?
[/quote]

Getting a bus from Manchester City Centre to Old Trafford and getting in for 4 shillings has gone, so why go there either? :wink: :D
[/quote]

George Best is not with us any more, the topic was about George Best :smt002. The quote you listed was about a bitter reminisce not a pleasant one!
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Here are some other places we shouldn't go...

1985 - Four-nil up against Fulham at half-time. Drew 4-4 and missed out on promotion on goal difference to Man City
1991 - Alan Knight tipping John Barnes' free kick on to the post only for Whelan to poke in the rebound.
1992 - 5-2 up against Oxford with 15 minutes to go. Let three in and missed out on automatic promotion on goal difference to Harry Redknapp's West Ham.

Such gut-wrenching let downs make Pitman's pass to off-side Soloman-Otobar in the critical Peterboro game two years ago, par for the course.
No-one knows a "bitter reminisce " better than a Pompey fan