With promotion being unlikely should we keep the Cowley's??

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Re: With promotion being unlikely should we keep the Cowley's??

Post by Milton End »

Dinksy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:07 pm It's a no from me.
I agree there are mitigating circumstances as mentioned above and I've no doubt the Cowley's would have done better if they had a full squad at their disposal. However, I have not seen anything in their armoury to counter bad situations which will inevitably come their way. We will quickly get used to the same sound bites..... The formations, the substitutions, the rubbish they have talked about Marquis ('best number nine I've ever worked with)...it's all quite worrying. After the first four games we have seen the magic unravel and they are in danger of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Very Pompey, but I've had enough of all that. To still be languishing in League One four years after being taken over by a billionaire is not acceptable.
I would put more faith in a Daniel Stendel-type who knows the division, can get the best from modest talent and has a decent track record.
But hey, I'm open to being swayed. Exactly what are the arguments for them staying?
i'm with Dinksy on this. We still have a choice.

The actual Cowley record is not that good at PFC for a variety of reasons as outlined above.

I would like to know who else is available and might be tempted to manage our great club.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Post by Keeprblue »

yes, I think they should stay for the next season and see from there.
As for the squad, it's all down to fitness, The fitter you are the less likely to get injured.IMO
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

So far, these are the specific arguments that people have come up with FOR the Cowleys:

"They have shown they have the right attitude know how to utilise players and do not abandon players the likes of Downing and Bolton for example. They are happy to work with Marquis,Curtis, Williams etc, and know what system to use dependant on who they play." - Jam

Fair enough, Jam, they have utilised the whole squad.....but probably because they had no choice. The question should be more HOW have they used them?

"......they are willing to try a different route.....we need someone who will help us out perform our resources, and I think the Cowleys are the best chance of that" - P. Penguin

There are a lot of managers out there who have to manage within a tight budget, John Coleman at Accrington has already been mentioned.

"They say they like to play fast attacking football, which floats my boat......" - Blue Walter

Probably the most compelling argument for me by their reputation but what we have seen is an unconvincing ad hoc approach since the injuries and suspensions have piled up. Are they one-trick ponies? I haven't seen much on offer in their toolbox.
And talking of suspensions, the disciplinary record has not been a pretty sight since the Cowleys took over. Seventeen yellows and two reds does not suggest that the control is as solid as it needs to be to get out of this league.

Still, like I say, I'm open to persuasion...
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Not our job to persuade you :rofl .

What's really important here is whatever our feelings on the Cowley's we get fully behind the team and management for the remaining fixtures. There will be enough time in the off season to debate these things. Last thing I want is to see the team being distracted by off the field goings on at this critical point of the season.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'm not sold on them - ultimately they look like failing their trial, but it looks like we're going to give them the job anyway. So why wouldn't we give them or someone else a long term contract when we sacked Jackett?
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

No get rid, get mourinho in
Let all the players go and give mourinho 200m to buy a new squad
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Mickemo »

Yes we should.

They can only work with the hand they were dealt...which was an unfit squad with zero confidence, look at the last 10 results under Jackett and that shocking final performance against Salford.

We need to give these guys a 2 year deal and back them (sensibly) in the transfer market. They have proven they know how to recruit up at Huddersfield so im optimistic with the Cowleys at the helm.
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

The Cowleys came into the club and really performed miracles in getting a bunch of disparate players who only knew how to lose to win four on the trot. The new manager bounce faded, the players reverted to type and we've struggled in recent games.

I'm no fan of the Cowleys, I think Danny is too fond of his own voice and I really don't like the 'injuries' our players keep coming down with so that some touchline coaching can take place (we demonised Ainsworth for the exact same thing). But...I do like the style of play they try to impose on their teams and when they are flying it's reminiscent of Alan Ball with that great Pompey team of the mid-80s. OK, I'm using Lincoln as an example here but I did see quite a bit of them over a two-year period.

It's only my opinion but I don't think we can judge them on what we've seen with our bunch of plodders, a few of whom have never seemed to be able to master the basics of the game.

I'd hope the club gives them a 2/3 year deal with the premise that during that time promotion needs to be secured and that they'll be given the backing to bring in their type of player. There are no guarantees in the game and Pompey might once have been a big club, but we are what we are right now, a run-of-the-mill L1 club, and I think the Cowley brothers are the right people to be here at this time.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I'm undecided. I think I'll wait till the end of the season to make my mind up. Initially I was delighted with the first few games but shocking performances in games against Swindon, MK Dons and the 1st half at Accrington set alarm bells ringing for me.
I don't think the players have helped though, Whatmough getting sent off was plain stupid and some of the reckless tackles and unnecessary penalties given away make me wonder how hot they are on discipline.

Some of our players control and passing is truly awful and I don't think you can blame the Cowleys for that.

Jury's out for me.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:35 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:24 am It is rather obvious that the playing staff needs a total overhaul,
I completely disagree.

This squad was top of the division at Christmas, and had a run of 6 or 7 games without conceding a goal.

They showed that they are a decent squad when we won 4 on the bounce when the Cowleys came in.

With injuries and suspensions, we're playing below par at the moment, granted, and I think even some of those currently playing are doing so whilst carrying injuries (John Marquis being the most obvious, but it wouldn't surprise me if Tom Naylor is another). However, this squad does not need an overhaul, just a tweak here and there.
I think thats what Jackett did for the last two years and it didn't work so now we need to be a bit more radical and start again
Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Post by Keeprblue »

Yes from me also.
Be good to see how the squad react to them.
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Yes from me as well. Some of this thread reads like a parallel universe. Phrases like they would have failed. Really, we're 6th. Win Sunday we're in the play offs which is exactly what they were brought in to do.
This team is unbalanced, plus they are @ times fragile mentally. Yet since The Cowleys came in we've come from behind to gain points a fair few times. Something under Kenny we managed just once this season.
We win Sunday, they deserve a extended stay. To be able build a squad in their image. Could it be in the Championship? Who knows, but we win sunday I wouldn't bet against it. Such a lottery.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I think the Cowleys are a breath of fresh air. Their enthusiasm is infectious and I think the Players like playing for them. Come what may I believe Pompey should give them a decent contract and some money to build a side to compete in the Championship.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Purbrook Chimes wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:18 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:35 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:24 am It is rather obvious that the playing staff needs a total overhaul,
I completely disagree.

This squad was top of the division at Christmas, and had a run of 6 or 7 games without conceding a goal.

They showed that they are a decent squad when we won 4 on the bounce when the Cowleys came in.

With injuries and suspensions, we're playing below par at the moment, granted, and I think even some of those currently playing are doing so whilst carrying injuries (John Marquis being the most obvious, but it wouldn't surprise me if Tom Naylor is another). However, this squad does not need an overhaul, just a tweak here and there.
I think thats what Jackett did for the last two years and it didn't work so now we need to be a bit more radical and start again
When I posed that question originally I did not think we would be in the position we are now. I thought that Charlton would be the team going through but against my expectations we are in the driving seat. I still don't think think we are good enough to win the Playoffs though, but hopefully I am wrong. When I said the squad needs a radical overhaul it is because the squad is constructed for the way Mr Jackett preferred to play. Hopefully the next manager will want to play a more exciting brand of football which means the present squad needs to be mentally and physically overhauled. If we are in the Championship next season we will need more Championship class players than we do now to be able to compete. If we are in League 1 we will need to balance the squad better than it is now because it will be a very strong league next season. I think fitness will be key in the way the Cowleys like to play but I don't think the squad is presently at the grade they would like it to be.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 am I think fitness will be key in the way the Cowleys like to play but I don't think the squad is presently at the grade they would like it to be.
I think (hope) that this is something that the Cowleys are assessing when they decide which players to retain and which to let go. It is not just about how good a player is, but also knowing (or not) if they are willing to put the work in to reach the level of fitness required. This season we have seen that we have plenty of players willing to run hard in the game, but do not have the base fitness to maintain this over a run of games, let alone a full season.