Astoria incident

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Astoria incident

Post by jam tomorrow »

Statement in Hampshire News saying the management have dealt with the players involved in this incident and punished them however Pompey Supporters Club and I believe a lot of others want this information made public.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Astoria incident

Post by Mr Dee »

Why, If no charges are being brought ?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr Dee wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:59 pm Why, If no charges are being brought ?
I agree. Also no guarantee that the Pompey lot started it (although would like to think they were clever enough not to get involved either way(.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:19 pm
I agree. Also no guarantee that the Pompey lot started it (although would like to think they were clever enough not to get involved either way(.
Apparently they were either denied entry or asked to leave Astoria. Outside Curtis pushed over a lone student who cracked his head open on the road. All allegedly of course and this information came from a bystander and a Facebook post by Astoria that got deleted about 10 minutes later
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

From the Hampshire Chronicle:

Cowley did speak to those involved and feels that they have learned a lot from the action of that night.
He believes that as a consequence of the incident, the reputations of those involved have been damaged.

“I do. I think a lot of them woke up disappointed with what happened and how it unfolded,” added Cowley.
“Certainly through the conversations I have had with them, there was a lot of remorse and somewhere along the line, once the necessary conversations have been had and the necessary sanctions have been put in place, we have to take learning and we have to move forward and we will do that.

“Unfortunately, on Sunday night, some of our players behaved in an unacceptable way and as a consequence, I believe there is now a misrepresentation of them and that is a shame.”

Blah, blah, blah......whitewash.

Two sendings off in six weeks under the Cowleys and a plethora of bookings.
No wonder the players wanted them to stay
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

Dinksy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:25 pm Blah, blah, blah......whitewash.

Almost getting the impression you not that keen 😉

I think, give them a fair crack and see where it goes, but hey that's just me based on the reputation and the stuff I have heard from Lincs fans etc. Personally I'm looking forward to next season.
Living in exile thinking Blue
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

FatBlueAde wrote:
Dinksy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:25 pm Blah, blah, blah......whitewash.

Almost getting the impression you not that keen 😉

I think, give them a fair crack and see where it goes, but hey that's just me based on the reputation and the stuff I have heard from Lincs fans etc. Personally I'm looking forward to next season.
Sceptical, FBA. There have been a lot of changes - manager, CEO, youth team development coach and now we await signs of the Cowley 'revolution' in the new shape of the first team. Who knows, the cards may all fall perfectly. Come August, I'll be supporting the club whoever is in charge.
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

Dinksy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:07 am Sceptical, FBA. There have been a lot of changes - manager, CEO, youth team development coach and now we await signs of the Cowley 'revolution' in the new shape of the first team. Who knows, the cards may all fall perfectly. Come August, I'll be supporting the club whoever is in charge.
I saw a dozen or so Lincoln games during their L2 promotion season and I'd say wait and see what the brothers come up with. The football was good to watch and they scored plenty of goals. Defensively they were tight and had some Bambi on ice at CB named Raggett, not too sure where he ended up...

That summer saw Cowley have a big change round in players and they hit the ground running.

There's no guarantee he can repeat that at Pompey but he's in the manager's chair and I think it'll be interesting to see what he can do for the club. In Cowley-speak he's no doubt got a clean whiteboard and a blue sky scenario to work with.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Mr Dee wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:35 pm
Apparently they were either denied entry or asked to leave Astoria. Outside Curtis pushed over a lone student who cracked his head open on the road. All allegedly of course and this information came from a bystander and a Facebook post by Astoria that got deleted about 10 minutes later
Surely the club was shut ?
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

portchesterblue wrote:
Al fresco drinking & dining allowed when incident happened.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by New Forester »

What has all this got to do with us?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

You would like to think that footballers would have learnt by now, yeah, sure, go out and have a few shandies and a laugh but if there is any sign of trouble, steer clear, they see so many incidents over the years involving players. Whether they started it or someone else, surely the players know there are people who are going to have a toot at them, why put yourself in that position.

Probably a good chance they were pissed as they were on the shots apparently on Eastern Rod not long after the game.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:52 pm Statement in Hampshire News saying the management have dealt with the players involved in this incident and punished them however Pompey Supporters Club and I believe a lot of others want this information made public.
Supporters may want the information in the public domain, but I don't see (A) what business it is of theirs, or (B) what they will do with that knowledge.

(A) In any disciplinary action, in any company, where you have imposed sanctions on an employee, details of those sanctions are not made "common knowledge"
(B) Do those supporters want to start booing the players concerned, if they have deemed the punishment not severe enough? Will they start messaging the players through social media?

It strikes me that supporters wanting to know is rather like rubber-necking at an accident on the motorway. They're just being nosey at the misfortune of others.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

pompeygunner wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:29 am
portchesterblue wrote:
Al fresco drinking & dining allowed when incident happened.
Al fresco at the astoria, surely that would just be on the street then, they have no gardens do they??
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

They have an outside area behind the building