Bazunu

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Bazunu

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Gavin Bazunu is reportedly very close to a transfer from Man City for £11m, possibly rising to £15m, to ............

........Southampton
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 157 times

Re: Bazunu

Post by Pompey55 »

If that’s true bl**dy good job we gave him a full season of experience at the expense of one of our own in Bass
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:18 am If that’s true bl**dy good job we gave him a full season of experience at the expense of one of our own in Bass

Absolutely agree. As good as he is, and even allowing for the fact he is better than Bass, I still think Bass should have been given a fair crack.
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bluesbro' »

Agent Bazunu. :lol:
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:18 am If that’s true bl**dy good job we gave him a full season of experience at the expense of one of our own in Bass
Not convinced Cowley wants Bass. See we have been linked with WBA GK Josh Griffiths (on loan again) this morning. He was at Lincoln City last season.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Seems Cowley views being on loan at Lincoln a prerequisite for us getting a player :D
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

But seriously Bass is a good keeper at this level and wasting a loan position on a keeper again does not make sense
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:11 pm
Not convinced Cowley wants Bass. See we have been linked with WBA GK Josh Griffiths (on loan again) this morning. He was at Lincoln City last season.
Griffith hardly seems to be another Bazunu last year he was brilliant at Lincoln keeping 2 clean sheets in 33 games :D
He’s not premiership quality only championship I really can’t understand why we would want him as if he comes it’s pretty certain Bass will want away thus we then need to sign another keeper to have some cover, Cowley really needs to come clean regarding Bass
I thought the master plan was to produce our own players but this fly’s in the face of that. If I was a parent with a promising footballing son I would look at this and say stuff Pompey they don’t look after players who come through the ranks preferring to be a nursery for other clubs at their expense
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

In fairness to Griffiths, he was superb the season before at Cheltenham when they won the League Two title (23 clean sheets in 50 games). Not sure you can necessarily lay all of Lincoln's defensive ills last season at his door.

If we could sign him permanently I'd be really happy with that. As a loan, yes he probably isn't another Bazunu - we're not going to get another one of those. Is he better than what we have? Quite possibly.

While I know we're going to naturally look kindly on Bass because he's one of our own (and we all want to see our own players coming through the system), reading what the Bradford fans thought of him during his loan spell, it was mixed at best.

https://bantamtalk.com/index.php?thread ... pers.6110/

Not saying I wouldn't be happy with Bass in goal next season as I think he's generally done OK when he's played for us, but I do think it's reasonable that the club is looking at what options are available.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

The point I was making was that as a loan it does not make sense and the chances of signing him are nil as he’s just signed a new 4 year contract.
And if he comes on loan with the same guarantees of being number 1 a Bazunu we will need to sign another keeper as I can’t see Bass staying in those circumstances
And he is no Bazunu he has never played above under 20 level internationally
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:34 am The point I was making was that as a loan it does not make sense and the chances of signing him are nil as he’s just signed a new 4 year contract.
And if he comes on loan with the same guarantees of being number 1 a Bazunu we will need to sign another keeper as I can’t see Bass staying in those circumstances
And he is no Bazunu he has never played above under 20 level internationally
I don't disagree with any of that particularly and fair point on the 4 year contract, I hadn't seen that. The point I was making was that he might be a better keeper than Bass and that the club is doing the right thing to explore all the options in that position. We'll need to sign a second choice keeper anyway, whether we have Bass, Griffiths or someone else as first choice.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Down in League 1 you have to use all the tools at your disposal and that includes loans. I don’t think we had any more loans than most clubs in League 1. I do accept the argument about your own players not being developed but I also think you have to play your best team as well. Plus Bass wasn’t exactly setting the world alight while on loan. In the flip side had we had Bass playing for us and he was amazing chances are we lose him to a Championship club and potentially be in the same situation.

If it wasn’t a keeper I don’t think the discussion would be so heated. You only have one playing at a time so it highlights the argument more. Worth remembering that our top scorer was a loan player as well but I don’t think I’ve seen many posts arguing against Hirst playing for us.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

I do wonder if people forget that for the best part of half a season in 2019/20 that Bass kept MacGillivray out of the team until injured so in my view he proved himself capable at this level.
He was initially being send out on loan to build his fitness after the injury not because he wasn’t capable.
And in that season we reached the playoffs unlike last year
Last edited by Pompey55 on Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Its too important a position to rely on just one body. Pretty common to have two keepers vying for the first team slot anyway. I can think of plenty of keepers in our history who have been in shocking form, with nobody able to step up and replace them.

A bad (or injured) keeper is like having no keeper at all.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:20 am I do wonder if people forget that for the best part of half a season in 2019/20 that Bass kept MacGillivray out of the team until injured so in my view he proved himself capable at this level.
He was initially being send out on loan to build his fitness after the injury not because he wasn’t capable.
And in that season we reached the playoffs unlike last year
I don’t disagree with any of that.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix