Brighton do it again

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 66 times

Brighton do it again

Post by eltorrro »

Having purchased Caicedo for £4m in 2021 they have received an offer from Liverpool for £100m!!
Admittedly there is a 20% resell clause but boy, is that a great return or what?
This is how they work and progress..buy low, sell high. Good luck to them :thumb
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Brighton do it again

Post by RubiconCSL »

Apparently, it's a new record £111M!
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

On Talksport earlier, they were suggesting Brighton are about to have tax problems, because of the ludicrous profits they've made. I'm sure they'll be some creative accounting to make that disappear though.

A lot of credit to them though - its some stellar work.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

eltorrro wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:38 am Having purchased Caicedo for £4m in 2021 they have received an offer from Liverpool for £100m!!
Admittedly there is a 20% resell clause but boy, is that a great return or what?
This is how they work and progress..buy low, sell high. Good luck to them :thumb
The Ecuadorian club received £4m up front and now will bank a further £21.4 profit form the 20% resale fee.

Brighton have spent £4m up front, qualified for the Europa League, banked prize money for their excellent league placing last year in the Premier League and have only made a profit of £91.6m (before taxes and agents fees) on their initial £4m investment.

Brighton also spent £6.9m for 90% of Alexis McCallister and then sold those rights to Liverpool for £35m. Or a profit of £28.1m

So those two players combined have delivered a profit of £119.7m this off-season for Brighton after paying out slightly less than £11m for two South American talents.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Weybridge wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:11 am On Talksport earlier, they were suggesting Brighton are about to have tax problems, because of the ludicrous profits they've made. I'm sure they'll be some creative accounting to make that disappear though.

Selling the players may create a tax liability but Brighton will have the money from the sales so have the money to pay the tax bill. So, not sure how the talking head thinks this is a tax problem - more a question of Brighton will have a large tax bill unless they reinvest into their playing staff considerably.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:35 am
Weybridge wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:11 am On Talksport earlier, they were suggesting Brighton are about to have tax problems, because of the ludicrous profits they've made. I'm sure they'll be some creative accounting to make that disappear though.

Selling the players may create a tax liability but Brighton will have the money from the sales so have the money to pay the tax bill. So, not sure how the talking head thinks this is a tax problem - more a question of Brighton will have a large tax bill unless they reinvest into their playing staff considerably.
Absolutely, I wasn’t suggesting it was anything that would threaten their status, just creating a liability that most clubs never have to pay!
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

They do have considerable debt apparently
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:02 pm They do have considerable debt apparently
probably not so much anymore!
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by NSRailings »

I like De Zerbi's attitude:

"I have already forgotten about Moises," De Zerbi told a news conference. "I'm really proud of the players we have in the squad.... I would like players who are proud to play in Brighton."
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 180 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I bet they already have his replacement lined up.