Chesterfield

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Chesterfield

Post by jam tomorrow »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:24 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:05 am I personally don't have too many issues with Hume I think he could have been good enough if given enough of a chance I'm just not sure he has managed to settle down south, and it's just not worked out for him. Never really let us down when called upon.
From what I have seen of Hume I think he hasn't done that much wrong and probably has deserved a longer run in the side. He seems to be almost ostracised with his treatment from the club and they have made no secret of wanting him off the books. That seems a bit of a harsh scenario by the club but by not knowing the full story it is difficult to make a bona-fide judgement. We don't hear too much of the player complaining about the situation or anything discerning about the player from the club. So I would assume there are other issues that is causing problems for Hume regarding his Pompey career. What is odd, though, Hume is a player capable of playing League One football and has been available for some time but, it appears, no club has been that keen to take him.
I too wonder if there are underlying issues with Hume we are not privileged enough to know which has left him out in the cold?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:40 pm Personally I think it is impossible to compare past & modern day footballers. I think the only accurate comparisons can only really made generational. Would today's players cope with heavy grounds and the more robust defenders of yesteryear? Today's players are far fitter than they were so would the stars of the past cope with fitter and stronger players of today?

I do believe that football was more entertaining than it is today where the coaches were restricted to training players in the art of playing football. On the coaches schedule today are items such as how to win a free kick and feigning injury. Tactics are more of a leveller today than ever before where a team can negate their opponents higher skill factor. Most teams in the old days had a 'golden ******' that every one knew and was a star turn, obviously also a hatchet man was waiting for them.

I had the privilege to see players such as Best, Law Charlton, Greaves, Gilzean, Bell, Dickenson and an endless so on. I did see Mathews and Peter Harris but unfortunately they were well past their best when I saw them. Mathew's was 48 at the time and Harris couldn't have been far behind, although I did meet him at a strip do on Hayling Island.
Was it a pre-arranged meet?? :D
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Betelgeuse wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:50 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:40 pm Personally I think it is impossible to compare past & modern day footballers. I think the only accurate comparisons can only really made generational. Would today's players cope with heavy grounds and the more robust defenders of yesteryear? Today's players are far fitter than they were so would the stars of the past cope with fitter and stronger players of today?

I do believe that football was more entertaining than it is today where the coaches were restricted to training players in the art of playing football. On the coaches schedule today are items such as how to win a free kick and feigning injury. Tactics are more of a leveller today than ever before where a team can negate their opponents higher skill factor. Most teams in the old days had a 'golden ******' that every one knew and was a star turn, obviously also a hatchet man was waiting for them.

I had the privilege to see players such as Best, Law Charlton, Greaves, Gilzean, Bell, Dickenson and an endless so on. I did see Mathews and Peter Harris but unfortunately they were well past their best when I saw them. Mathew's was 48 at the time and Harris couldn't have been far behind, although I did meet him at a strip do on Hayling Island.
Yes, I suppose it was actually. I think he owned the club with a partner and was a venue for such sordid events as strip do's. Where I worked at the time the social club used to have two such events a year. One would be the social club house on site and one somewhere else, on this occasion Hayling. I only went to make note of the depravity that my colleagues would sink to and I looked away when the lady bumps came out.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:06 pm

Yes, I suppose it was actually. I think he owned the club with a partner and was a venue for such sordid events as strip do's. Where I worked at the time the social club used to have two such events a year. One would be the social club house on site and one somewhere else, on this occasion Hayling. I only went to make note of the depravity that my colleagues would sink to and I looked away when the lady bumps came out.
Course you did Walter... :lol:
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:09 am
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:06 pm

Course you did Walter... :lol:
:rofl