Alfie May

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Alfie May

Post by eltorrro »

Can somebody in the know remind me why we got rid of Alfie May? :?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Alfie May

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

We've never had Alfie May.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

You might be thinking of Adam May? Central midfield who ended up at Cambridge I think?
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

Oh, yes so it was! Senior moment :roll:
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I wonder if Pompey ever thought of making a move for him when he became available at Cambridge. He, apparently, had a valuation of £25000 which looks like a bargain price. I had hoped we would have gone for him and Twine, who went to Reading, during the summer transfer window. Maybe we did but they didn't want to come here but that would have been exciting if they did.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:30 pm I wonder if Pompey ever thought of making a move for him when he became available at Cambridge. He, apparently, had a valuation of £25000 which looks like a bargain price. I had hoped we would have gone for him and Twine, who went to Reading, during the summer transfer window. Maybe we did but they didn't want to come here but that would have been exciting if they did.
Why?
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:30 pm I wonder if Pompey ever thought of making a move for him when he became available at Cambridge. He, apparently, had a valuation of £25000 which looks like a bargain price. I had hoped we would have gone for him and Twine, who went to Reading, during the summer transfer window. Maybe we did but they didn't want to come here but that would have been exciting if they did.
Alfie May has never played for Cambridge, and Scott Twine hasn't played for Reading.

Alfie May was sold by Cheltenham, towards the end of his contract. Before that most of his career was pretty unimpressive in non-league, but he's come good now.

Scott Twine went from MK Don's to Burnley for big money. He was at Swindon before that.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Sorry Chaps, that was my attempt at sarcastic humour which seems to have failed miserably. This was in reference to eltorro's post where he got the names mixed up with Alfie and Adam.

Once Charlton had shown interest in Alfie May no one in League One would have had a chance as, apparently, Charlton is his team. It would make a tasty strike partnership with him and Bishop though. Lewis Wing was referred to as Twine in the media in the lead up to our game with Reading on several occasions recently.

I apologise to eltorrro for my sledgehammer attempt at taking the mickey. I found your error particularly funny as it is exactly the sort of thing I do myself. I have mixed up the May's myself when I have seen the name May on the score sheet.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:05 am Sorry Chaps, that was my attempt at sarcastic humour which seems to have failed miserably. This was in reference to eltorro's post where he got the names mixed up with Alfie and Adam.

Once Charlton had shown interest in Alfie May no one in League One would have had a chance as, apparently, Charlton is his team. It would make a tasty strike partnership with him and Bishop though. Lewis Wing was referred to as Twine in the media in the lead up to our game with Reading on several occasions recently.

I apologise to eltorrro for my sledgehammer attempt at taking the mickey. I found your error particularly funny as it is exactly the sort of thing I do myself. I have mixed up the May's myself when I have seen the name May on the score sheet.
He said last night on TV he's a Liverpool fan - I'm not sure we are really in the business of spending £250k on a player with no real potential for resale.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:49 am
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:05 am Sorry Chaps, that was my attempt at sarcastic humour which seems to have failed miserably. This was in reference to eltorro's post where he got the names mixed up with Alfie and Adam.

He said last night on TV he's a Liverpool fan - I'm not sure we are really in the business of spending £250k on a player with no real potential for resale.
I was commenting on an article on the lead up to the game with us where he was saying that once Charlton showed interest in him he wasn't going anywhere else. I think he lives in Charlton 'territory' which was a telling factor too I would imagine.

I would think his price tag is value for money if you consider his goals tally in the past and so far for Charlton. I don't really get this fixation with 'resale value' in every deal. I understand the mechanics of how things work and the benefit of being able to sell a player on who becomes too good for us to keep, thus earning us profit. That's the business way of looking at it in financial terms but football is also a sport where sometimes a player is bought for a specific reason, namely to get promotion or avoid relegation.

I wouldn't think Mousinho would have considered May anyway because he likes to play with one striker so either Bishop or May would have been a bench warmer. Although I do think they would have been brilliant together.
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

No apologies necessary Walter...I didn't even realise you were taking the mickey until you raised it!! :smt005

ps. Agree about the tasty partnership, reckon they would both score hatful's!!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

eltorrro wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:18 am No apologies necessary Walter...I didn't even realise you were taking the mickey until you raised it!! :smt005

ps. Agree about the tasty partnership, reckon they would both score hatful's!!
Thank you, that shows what a poor attempt is was doesn't it. Perhaps I should stick to 'straight' posting really. The the thing is I am known for my sarcasm, which I find highly amusing when done by someone who is good at it. Like him or loathe him Jeremy Clarkson is top exponent at the art, although I have a friend who could give him a good run for his money.

Yes I agree May and Bishop would be brilliant, I would go as far as saying almost guaranteeing promotion. Although I do think any half decent striker paired with Bishop would flourish. I really rate Bishop, who I would rather have than May, because of his all round game. He does miss chances that he is expected to score but he brings so much more to the team. Also it has to be remembered that he was brought to the club by the much maligned Cowley's.