Lack of Atmosphere

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Lack of Atmosphere

Post by Blue Walter »

In reference to Jurgen Kopp's complaint and annoyance with the Liverpool crowd's lack of vocal support recently. Most noticeable in last nights game against West Ham in their 5-1 win, I wonder how top Premiership clubs supporters view games. Are they fed a diet of unfettered success that it now becomes what they expect? We were always told that the Kop was the pinnacle of support, an iconic example of what other clubs support should aspire to. Recently I went to the 'Theatre of Dreams' for the Manchester derby and I just couldn't believe how quiet it was. The lack of passion was palpable. I kept thinking that if this was Pompey against Saints you wouldn't hear yourself think. I was in the corporate section and it was more like going to the theatre. The City supporters did make a bit of noise with the away section holding 4000 in a crowd of just over 73000. It is no exaggeration that Fratton Park generates far more noise and atmosphere. I noticed the same thing when I went to the Emerates Stadium where the crowd only got behind them once Arsenal were winning. I have been to several other Premier League games that did manifest more atmosphere and noise but I still think it is muted somewhat to Fratton Park.

I think top clubs have grown so used to ruling the roost that their support expect to win things. It is so easy to be a supporter of a top Premiership team but, in my opinion, the real supporters follow clubs like Stockport County, Rochdale, Oldham or even Bolton. Unless you are born in the areas that the club is installed. Down here it is a bit easier in as much of geographical boundaries as to whether you support Pompey or Saints, unless like one or two people I know who are Saints supporters living in Pompey territory because Pompey were cack.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Lack of Atmosphere

Post by NSRailings »

Is it partly due to the stadiums as well? The soulless bowls replacing what used to be equivalent of the Fratton End in some of the grounds.

Maybe it's because tickets are so expensive there's an entitlement of 'entertain me' rather than supporting a team from some fans. I could understand that actually. I know someone who paid well over £100 to get into Anfield on the black market. Wages are obscene and at that level the relationship between suporter and club gets further and further apart I think.

I see the talk about a breakaway league has returned :roll:
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

NSRailings wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:35 pm Is it partly due to the stadiums as well? The soulless bowls replacing what used to be equivalent of the Fratton End in some of the grounds.

Maybe it's because tickets are so expensive there's an entitlement of 'entertain me' rather than supporting a team from some fans. I could understand that actually. I know someone who paid well over £100 to get into Anfield on the black market. Wages are obscene and at that level the relationship between suporter and club gets further and further apart I think.

I see the talk about a breakaway league has returned :roll:
Possibly the grounds but I don't think you can call Anfield soulless. There is still a Kop & Stretford End but I will agree that places like Reading and, dare I say, St Mary's are soulless bowls. Nowhere near the atmosphere and noise generated at the Dell, a place that could rival Fratton Park on it's day.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

I watched us at Sunderland a couple of years ago. Our “were are in the library” chant was fully justified. Lack of atmosphere isn’t exclusive to the Premiership.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I took my youngest Grandson to his first game at Fratton Park a couple of years ago, it was the 3-3 match against Coventry. He was gobsmacked with the atmosphere and instantly dismissed any sort of allegiance to Plymouth Argyle, saying there was no comparison to Home Park. Now that was on a bad day! Particularly after the Blackpool match, so many `Football` people have stated that they love Fratton Park because the crowd always stay behind the Team whatever. My ticket for the Exeter game has just arrived, my first live match of the season and I can`t wait!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Personally I think it's people who make the atmosphere not the stadium. In the same way it's the people in the house who make it a home.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:47 am Personally I think it's people who make the atmosphere not the stadium. In the same way it's the people in the house who make it a home.
I agree.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:47 am Personally I think it's people who make the atmosphere not the stadium. In the same way it's the people in the house who make it a home.
Goes almost without saying
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Taken from a Leicester blog:

"So many factors play into the lack of atmosphere: the cost of tickets, the lack of safe standing, the identikit bowl stadium, even the style of play and opposition. Most of these aren’t unique to Leicester. The first two are easier to solve but personally, I think the latter two might be more of an issue. The physical construction of the stadium is one of the biggest problems.

Every time you go to a compact ground where the stands feel like they’re on top of the pitch you realise how much better they are for atmosphere. We are unfortunate in the fact our ground was built at a time when stadium designers apparently had zero idea what they were doing. In a shallow, bowl ground like ours the noise just disappears into the ether."

https://www.thefosseway.net/tfw-debate- ... king-power

So safe standing might help to bring things back.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

It'd be interesting to see a new stadium designed purely on maximising the atmosphere - how would it be constructed? I seem to remember that this was taken into account at the new Spurs stadium - anyone know if that's true and if so, has it made a difference to the atmosphere there?
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Lack of atmos is due to the FACT that 1/2 the people in the stadium are busy recording life on their phones instead of living it.
Div III. Call it what it is.