Steve Evans Rant

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Steve Evans Rant

Post by Blue Walter »

I note that Steve Evans is still ranting about Mondays game in the Stevenage local press. I wonder what people thought about being any creditable substance in his rant.

I didn't see their penalty shout as I was too far away but their supporters behind the goal thought it was 'nailed on' as did their team and Mr Evans. They certainly seemed rather animated in unison directly after the incident, so I don't know how 'nailed on' it was. Evans view was that his team pinned our team back for the entire second half, which I would agree with. Their fast attacking moves did have us worried but, it has to be said, not too any dead cert goal incidents. We were not in the game as an attacking force in the second half but we were so much better than Stevenage in the first half, a point that Evans agrees with.. So I think Evans does have a point about the second half. He seems to think they created enough chances to win several games, whereas we could point to Kamara missing three gilt edged one on one chances. I think we can all agree about the referee being poor but was his 'disgustingly rubbish' comment fair? I think he let a lot go and I think Stevenage benefitted more from the refs inadequate handling of the game with some very heavy tackles coming in unpunished. Although Evans did agree with the sendings off and thought the ref got them decisions right.

In fairness to Evans he was rather complimentary about our club and it's supporters. I think he got it wrong when he said that we have got millions to spend on players and that we could outspend 90% of League One. So, in fairness, I think Evans got some of his rant right and some wrong.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Steve Evans Rant

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I would love to know what Stevenage's budget / spend is since Evans brought it up in comparison to Pompey's

they signed Louis Thompson from Pompey and Nathan Thompson, Dan Butler and Ben Thompson from Peterborough. All admittedly as free transfers but their wages I would suggest won't be low. Harvey White also joined them on a fee from Spurs and again I don't expect that transfer fee or his wages was for buttons.

whenever I hear Managers complain that their little team on a little budget played so much better than the bigger team that they just lost too .....I just think that they are saying this to their Board and seeking to manage expectations internally a bit. Perhaps the Board at Stevenage believe that they should be competing for at least a playoff position and he is worried that Stevenage are going to be closer to 10th than 6th when the season is over.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Answering my own question .....

accordingly to capology Pompey have the fifth highest playing budget in L1 this season (£5.3m) - and Stevenage are operating at about 42% less and sixth lowest in the division (£3m)

Interesting though that Stevenage's playing budget is apparently virtually the same as Peterborough.

https://www.capology.com/uk/league-one/payrolls/
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I watched the match on IFollow. I was obviously seeing a different game to the one Evans observed. The penalty shout, yes the ball hit Shaughnessy`s arm which he was trying to get out of the way, we`ve seen them given but a good decision by the Referee. How many chances did they create in the second half, only a couple Kamara had two of his `one on ones` in the second half. Pack was lucky not to get a second yellow, but Stevenage`s Piergianni constantly fouled Pompey`s attackers but did not get a yellow until well into the second half. These things balance out each others indiscretions. Taking the balanced view Mr Evans what you are saying is sour grapes. Your Team was beaten by a better side on the day!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:16 pm I watched the match on IFollow. I was obviously seeing a different game to the one Evans observed. The penalty shout, yes the ball hit Shaughnessy`s arm which he was trying to get out of the way, we`ve seen them given but a good decision by the Referee. How many chances did they create in the second half, only a couple Kamara had two of his `one on ones` in the second half. Pack was lucky not to get a second yellow, but Stevenage`s Piergianni constantly fouled Pompey`s attackers but did not get a yellow until well into the second half. These things balance out each others indiscretions. Taking the balanced view Mr Evans what you are saying is sour grapes. Your Team was beaten by a better side on the day!
Agree completely.