So... Nearing the end of January. How are we doing?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

So... Nearing the end of January. How are we doing?

Post by GreenBlue »

Okay, some teams below us have games in hand and are in better form than we are currently, but we are surely still in with a realistic chance of promotion.

At time of posting, we sit on 59 points from 29 matches. That is s pretty impressive return despite some disappointing results in the last few weeks.

The average number of points required to finish 2nd in our division is 87: That'd mean we'd need 28 points from our remaining 17 matches.

So, assuming we will need 87, we'd need to average 1.65 points per match to do so. During the last 10 matches, which has included our worst run of form so far this season, we have averaged 1.7 points per match and in the last 5, despite the 2 losses, we have averaged 1.8. So even if we fail to find the form from earlier in the season, and continue on our current form, we are still going to be pushing 90 points at the end of the campaign.

My fear though is that it will require 90+ this season to finish 2nd. 10 wins, 2 draws an 5 defeats would see us achieve that, or 9 wins, 5 draws and 3 defeats so it is well achievable.

I cannot see any team outside of the current top 8 making the playoffs and cannot see any side out of the current top 4 winning the league. We are still in with a chance of winning the division but, given the option, I would happily sacrifice that chance for a guaranteed 2nd place.

Play up Pompey!
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: So... Nearing the end of January. How are we doing?

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

And last year Sheffield Wednesday finished 3rd on 96 points.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Looking at our run in after tomorrow I think our matches against Derby, Peterborough and Bolton could be pivotal in deciding if it's automatic promotion or playoffs 4/5 points from those games would be useful
I believe that we could very well pick up points at both the away matches but struggle against Derby at home
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 am Looking at our run in after tomorrow I think our matches against Derby, Peterborough and Bolton could be pivotal in deciding if it's automatic promotion or playoffs 4/5 points from those games would be useful
I believe that we could very well pick up points at both the away matches but struggle against Derby at home
I think where we have struggled is against "Park the Bus" sides. Where teams attack us we have been more effective, all of those matches above, those Teams will want to attack us
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Spiny Norman
Martin Kuhl
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Spiny Norman »

I'm feeling unusually optimistic this season. A bit like 02/03.
We've got through January when we are always terrible without losing too much skin.
MPH looks good from what I saw on Saturday, another CH and we're good.
There are no stand out teams this year, Top of the league and no reason why we can't stay there.

Although I would settle for a last day smash and grab.
PUP
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Those around us have to play each other too... It will be tight but all we can do is look after ourselves.

Be interesting to see what business those around us manage to do in the next few days but to date I'm not sure anyone has signed anyone I think I wish we signed him - by the same token I bet that they are saying same about us.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:56 am Those around us have to play each other too... It will be tight but all we can do is look after ourselves.

Be interesting to see what business those around us manage to do in the next few days but to date I'm not sure anyone has signed anyone I think I wish we signed him - by the same token I bet that they are saying same about us.
Derby signed Blackett - Taylor for a rumoured £300k. loan fee from Charlton
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I suspect that Lang will cost Pompey at least that £300k if not slightly more. Richard Hughes and Mousinho have earnt the right to sign the winger they prefer imho and I will defer to their decision.

I have heard it say that Blackett-Taylor can blow hot and cold - or another way of saying it is that Lang is a more consistent performer with a pedigree of playing in the Championship as well as being dominant in L1 before ....
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Counting returning injured players this January Pompey have managed to add Macey, Oglivie, Lowery, Scully and MPH to the match day squad.

In two weeks time or less Yengi will return and then there is the prospect of signing Lang, McIntyre and Moxon. If they get two of those three over the line we are going to have a strong squad and every chance of having the players to sustain a push for promotion right the way through April.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:21 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:56 am Those around us have to play each other too... It will be tight but all we can do is look after ourselves.

Derby signed Blackett - Taylor for a rumoured £300k. loan fee from Charlton
I know - but I've never really got the clamour for him myself.