Owen Moxon - Pompey transfer target

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Owen Moxon - Pompey transfer target

Post by Pompey55 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:54 am
jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:49 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:31 pm
StMonkton wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:39 pm Basically divides a group into100 parts. If you are in the 98th percentile it means you are in the top 2%.
I don't really feel percentile is as such a particularly worthwhile means of assessment as for example making 8 out of 10 attacking passes in a period could result in a high percentile whereas 14 out of 20 in the same period from another player would give a lower percentile but a higher effectiveness in my opinion
You can look at a variety of statistics online and somewhere possibly find one where a donkey could appear to be a good signing
After all statistics said we had 2 terrific marquee signings in the summer now neither were even in the match day squad last night
Maybe I am old fashioned just leave statistics and assessment to the professionals and just judge players in what we can see for ourselves its all becoming too scientific for me
A donkey would definitely have the highest percentile for the hardest kick 55
I wonder what Chris Burns is doing now? Anyone know?
He is managing a non league team Stonehouse Town according to Wikipedia
I think you are doing him a disservice alluding to the fact that he was a donkey
I think yes he wasn't the most cultured player but he did his job effectively that's why Jim Smith played him consistently over his 3 seasons at the club (90 games)
I think Jim was good at judging a players ability and obviously didn't think he was a donkey
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I liked Chris Burns. He made the absolute best of his ability and he gave 100% in every game. Team first, totally committed, midfield grafter.

Tony Adams was called a donkey much of his career and he captained England and Arsenal and is a legend in the game. Carlton Palmer was a unicorn: an athletically gifted donkey but he had a decent career and played for England. I was at a dinner once when Lawrie McMenemy was the after dinner speaker and he was asked about Palmer playing for England and he said that he thought every team needed a player who did the hard graft to protect the goal and to get the ball back for more gifted players. Basically, every good team needs a donkey
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Owen Moxon has completed his move to Pompey. Now confirmed on OS:

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/202 ... -in-moxon/
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Claygate wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:37 am Owen Moxon has completed his move to Pompey. Now confirmed on OS:

I find this signing interesting as at 26 he doesn't fit the one for the future category, but with very little experience at this level the recruitment team must think he could step up to playing at championship level based on his long contract, because there is little evidence of that so far in my opinion
I'm not saying it's a bad signing but somewhat a leap of faith hoping he can achieve that step up assuming we do go up
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

The juxtaposition of signing Oxymoron!

just sayin' :-)
Hope he does well for us.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Like a few of us in here I appreciated Brickie’s hard work and endeavour more than his finesse 😀

I suspect we paid a decent fee for Owen Moxon as he is on a 3.5 year contract…

I’ve watched several you tube clips of him and an interesting interview with Paul Simpson (about Moxon) and I think he will prove to be a good signing.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Mickemo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:01 pm Like a few of us in here I appreciated Brickie’s hard work and endeavour more than his finesse 😀

I suspect we paid a decent fee for Owen Moxon as he is on a 3.5 year contract…

I’ve watched several you tube clips of him and an interesting interview with Paul Simpson (about Moxon) and I think he will prove to be a good signing.
I doubt it is a decent fee - the player is out of contract in five months time and can move then for free. I suspect the transfer fee is complicated in terms of Pompey pay a sum now (I have read £150k up front) and then escalator clauses such as a sum perhaps dependent on promotion and perhaps promotion and staying in the Championship with Moxon playing x number of games etc etc

I just can't see a team in L1 giving Carlisle say 300k up front for a player that is available for free in the summer.

the 3.5y contract is probably the agent saying he wanted the certainty of the money for that period given that the player is going to be moving from one end of the country to the other and is committing the best years of his career probably to Pompey and this contract (he turned 26 a few days ago) .....whereas for example Lang and Mcintyre are on a 2.5y deals with a 1y club option (so still 3.5 years) but the club can opt out after 2.5 years.

Lang and Mcintyre are both probably are fine with that since they are slightly younger and have experience of playing at Championship level whereas for Moxon moving to Pompey is a bigger moment in his career path so his agent probably negotiated the club option year into a guaranteed salary year but at a lower wage than the option year would have been at.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Bayern paid near 100m for Harry Kane in August 23 knowing he would be free if they waited May 2024….utter madness but football is a mad sport (business)

I’d expect the final fee for Moxon to be north of £150k
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

According to an article in the News and Star in Cumbria, the Carlisle manager, says that they accepted a 'nominal fee' for Moxon. Another shrewd bit of business by Pompey, with a cheap fee and a 3.5 year contract. The lad will be worth millions if he does well.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:24 pm
Claygate wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:37 am Owen Moxon has completed his move to Pompey. Now confirmed on OS:

I find this signing interesting as at 26 he doesn't fit the one for the future category, but with very little experience at this level the recruitment team must think he could step up to playing at championship level based on his long contract, because there is little evidence of that so far in my opinion
I'm not saying it's a bad signing but somewhat a leap of faith hoping he can achieve that step up assuming we do go up
One for the now and near fure for sure. 26 is not ancient for this kind of player and so he has time to develop. PUP