Highlights vs Cambridge!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Highlights vs Cambridge!

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

PeteM wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:06 pm [

Given we have him on loan for the rest of the season and he's just scored in his last appearance, doesn't sending him back to Brentford immediately seem just a tiny bit excessive?

He's been a bit inconsistent so far but that's only to be expected from a young player adapting to senior football again. Whether he starts or comes off the bench as an impact sub is one to debate, but with the injuries we have, we're going to need everyone in the squad to contribute.
Excessive that`s the word of the moment
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:45 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:13 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:29 pm How many young Players have been ruined by unfair and obsessive criticism without allowing them to adjust to the pace & style of League One football. We have the best form in the Division at the moment, so can`t you make allowances for the youngsters!
Not at this stage of the season I can’t
Kamara and Robertson were good examples of why you sign inexperienced players on loan in summer you had time to build on their experience which was and is now proving to be an asset
But with 13 games left we need all the experienced in form players to be the first on the team sheet if their position is a choice between them and an inexperienced loan player
Certainly use the less experienced player later in the match if necessary
And I don’t think my comments were obsessive or unfair just an opinion with regard to the use of inexperienced and mostly ineffective loan players signed in January possibly affecting our ongoing performances negatively
I did add the proviso that he needed to adapt quickly to keep his place in the starting lineup
And I do not express my view from the terrace towards any player they all get my unconditional support but away from the ground I consider I can express my view in a forum such as this
It's amazing we are blessed with so many players who can keep a player who has recently played premier league football out the team.

I'm not saying he has set the world a light in his last few games, but it's not we playing some 18 year old kid either, and it's not like he's had three or four stinkers either.
He played a total of 10 minutes in the premier league over 3 matches hardly a seasoned player at that level
And sorry yes his last 3 games have prettier much been stinkers despite his scoring on Tuesday

Last season he played for a very poor Forest Green team so it’s difficult to gauge if that was a positive experience or not but he scored 5 with 4 assists hardly a great outcome when varied between attacking midfield and centre forward
However you would expect that this experience would have enabled him to adapt to our level which he has not shown here yet
As regards keeping him out of the team Lang certainly fits that proposition
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:05 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:29 pm How many young Players have been ruined by unfair and obsessive criticism without allowing them to adjust to the pace & style of League One football. We have the best form in the Division at the moment, so can`t you make allowances for the youngsters!
Kamara and Robertson were good examples of why you sign inexperienced players on loan in summer you had time to build on their experience which was and is now proving to be an asset
But with 13 games left we need all the experienced in form players to be the first on the team sheet if their position is a choice between them and an inexperienced loan player
And I don’t think my comments were obsessive or unfair just an opinion with regard to the use of inexperienced and mostly ineffective loan players signed in January possibly affecting our ongoing performances negatively
I did add the proviso that he needed to adapt quickly to keep his place in the starting lineup
And I do not express my view from the terrace towards any player they all get my unconditional support but away from the ground I consider I can express my view in a forum such as this
It's amazing we are blessed with so many players who can keep a player who has recently played premier league football out the team.

I'm not saying he has set the world a light in his last few games, but it's not we playing some 18 year old kid either, and it's not like he's had three or four stinkers either.
He played a total of 10 minutes in the premier league over 3 matches hardly a seasoned player at that level
And sorry yes his last 3 games have prettier much been stinkers despite his scoring on Tuesday

Last season he played for a very poor Forest Green team so it’s difficult to gauge if that was a positive experience or not but he scored 5 with 4 assists hardly a great outcome when varied between attacking midfield and centre forward
However you would expect that this experience would have enabled him to adapt to our level which he has not shown here yet
10 minutes more than anyone else in our squad.

It's called rotation - and he hasn't had absolute stinkers. He hasn't performed as he did in his first game but they haven't been shockers. Perhaps your would prefer Scully or Whyte to play ahead of him, because Lang isn't going to play every minute of every game.

He's scored as many as Robertson... In a lot less games...
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:11 pm

It's called rotation - and he hasn't had absolute stinkers. He hasn't performed as he did in his first game but they haven't been shockers. Perhaps your would prefer Scully or Whyte to play ahead of him, because Lang isn't going to play every minute of every game.

Absolutely predictable response !
I never said Lang or anyone should play every minute or mentioned Scully or Whyte as they do not fit the essence of my comment
Which was “we should start where possible experienced “in form” players and use less experienced players as needed later in the game
I never used the word “absolute” and said “pretty much been stinkers” allowing for the fact he wasn’t totally useless in the last 3 games
I’m not going to just accept that everything is to be seen through blue tinted glasses and every one at the club is totally infallible and can do no wrong as some on here do
Yes if the cap fits wear it
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:12 pm

I never said Lang or anyone should play every minute or mentioned Scully or Whyte as they do not fit the essence of my comment
Which was “we should start where possible experienced “in form” players and use less experienced players as needed later in the game
I never used the word “absolute” and said “pretty much been stinkers” allowing for the fact he wasn’t totally useless in the last 3 games
I’m not going to just accept that everything is to be seen through blue tinted glasses and every one at the club is totally infallible and can do no wrong as some on here do
To be inform you have to play though...I think you have totally unrealistic expectations, that's all.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:12 pm

We’re top of the league. Got 16 out of the last 18 points.

No one is saying anyone is infallible.

You can keep concentrating on the negatives if you want. The rest of us want to enjoy the positives. You make some fair points but chill man Jesus you’re gonna give yourself a heart attack!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I feel obliged to get involved with this thread. I was absolutely incensed with some of the people that sit around me on Tuesday night. Yes, MPH had a bit of a shocker to start with, but when he had one of his poorer moments right in front of where I sit (NSL Half Way Line about 10 rows back) one guy sat right behind me screamed at him "Get him off" (He definitely would have heard this) I seriously despair at some of our fan base. PS I stood up, turned around, and told him to be more considerate. PPS He is also the guy that shouts 'Go forward' week in week out
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:41 pm I feel obliged to get involved with this thread. I was absolutely incensed with some of the people that sit around me on Tuesday night. Yes, MPH had a bit of a shocker to start with, but when he had one of his poorer moments right in front of where I sit (NSL Half Way Line about 10 rows back) one guy sat right behind me screamed at him "Get him off" (He definitely would have heard this) I seriously despair at some of our fan base. PS I stood up, turned around, and told him to be more considerate. PPS He is also the guy that shouts 'Go forward' week in week out
I would not condone this sort of thing within a game as I’ve said at the game give total support but don’t see a problem discussing failures and successes away from the ground
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Tino will be back in a month.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:20 am Tino will be back in a month.
Is he any better?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Quote 55

I would not condone this sort of thing within a game as I’ve said at the game give total support but don’t see a problem discussing failures and successes away from the ground
[/quote]

Is it discussing though, sounds a lot stronger than that
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:42 am
Is he any better?
I seem to remember people saying similar things about Tino before he got injured. Kamara too has had the "send him back" view expressed earlier in the season.

The way I see it, the three behind the striker has 4 players vying for those positions - Lane, Lang, Kamara and MPH. I believe that over the remaining matches this season, all 4 will be utilised and contribute to our promotion push. I trust Mous to get the balance right on who to pick and when to rest players. I certainly don't think hysterical overreactions are needed.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

phat_chris wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:43 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:42 am
Is he any better?
I seem to remember people saying similar things about Tino before he got injured. Kamara too has had the "send him back" view expressed earlier in the season.

The way I see it, the three behind the striker has 4 players vying for those positions - Lane, Lang, Kamara and MPH. I believe that over the remaining matches this season, all 4 will be utilised and contribute to our promotion push. I trust Mous to get the balance right on who to pick and when to rest players. I certainly don't think hysterical overreactions are needed.
Yep... If they were from our academy I'm sure they would be the best thing since sliced bread.