Safety concerns at the new Milton End

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Safety concerns at the new Milton End

Post by Milton End »

Yesterday, I managed to obtain a ticket for the Shrewsbury match in the new Milton End. The rebuilt stand is obviously an improvement but it left me with major safety concerns.

The only access to all the seats is via an elevated walkway about 4 metres wide high up at the back of the stand. This corridor is lined with bars on the pitch side and a high retaining wall on the other side facing the houses behind the stand.

There were obvious problems yesterday with access: for example, there was at least a 40 metre queue to enter the ground - just in time for the start. There was also only one male toilet at the south end ground level. It took me nearly 30 minutes at half-time to reach the toilet: missed the first ten minutes of the second half. And there was still a long queue as I walked back to my seat.

But what was really concerning was the basic problem at half-time: up to 3000 fans have no choice but to use this upper access corridoor.

As a consequence, it was packed with little movement. People were buying drinks on one side of the route and enjoying their beers on the other side. This meant that the central passageway was narrowed and hardly moving. Young children were being sheltered in this crowded mass. Most people were patient and mostly good-natured.

But if there had been an emergency - like an (unlikely) fire or a (more likely) fist fight - there might be a stampede to exit the corridoor down the stairs at the south end with all the consequences that we have seen in the past.

The Club needs to sort this out: it's a design fault that needs to be addressed.

If anyone has messaging access to Andy Cullen and other senior PFC staff, it would be helpful to the club if they could pass on this observation from yesterday. Thanks.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Safety concerns at the new Milton End

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'm fairly sure Cullen said in one of his recent YouTube videos that they are addressing the toilet situation.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

A friend of mine got four seats in the Milton End yesterday. I will get feedback from him about the issues you describe.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Had a ticket in the Milton End for the Burton game, I was in the ground pretty early so didn't experience the issues of queuing and there was no queue for the toilets when I got into the ground (didn't go anywhere at half time).

It was, however, very slow to leave the ground after the game with a lot of people moving very slowly through the narrow corridor. Like you said, most people were very patient and good natured (especially since we'd won the game!) and were trying to give as much space as possible (especially where there were young children), but in different circumstances it might not have been a very comfortable experience.

On the plus side, very much enjoyed watching a game from the safe standing section. Reminded me of being a youngster on the terraces again!
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 157 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Milton End wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:18 pm Yesterday, I managed to obtain a ticket for the Shrewsbury match in the new Milton End. The rebuilt stand is obviously an improvement but it left me with major safety concerns.

The only access to all the seats is via an elevated walkway about 4 metres wide high up at the back of the stand. This corridor is lined with bars on the pitch side and a high retaining wall on the other side facing the houses behind the stand.

There were obvious problems yesterday with access: for example, there was at least a 40 metre queue to enter the ground - just in time for the start. There was also only one male toilet at the south end ground level. It took me nearly 30 minutes at half-time to reach the toilet: missed the first ten minutes of the second half. And there was still a long queue as I walked back to my seat.

But what was really concerning was the basic problem at half-time: up to 3000 fans have no choice but to use this upper access corridoor.

As a consequence, it was packed with little movement. People were buying drinks on one side of the route and enjoying their beers on the other side. This meant that the central passageway was narrowed and hardly moving. Young children were being sheltered in this crowded mass. Most people were patient and mostly good-natured.

But if there had been an emergency - like an (unlikely) fire or a (more likely) fist fight - there might be a stampede to exit the corridoor down the stairs at the south end with all the consequences that we have seen in the past.

The Club needs to sort this out: it's a design fault that needs to be addressed.

If anyone has messaging access to Andy Cullen and other senior PFC staff, it would be helpful to the club if they could pass on this observation from yesterday. Thanks.
You could try via Johnny Moore who is supporter liaison johnnymoore@pompeyfc.co.uk
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:15 am
Milton End wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:18 pm Yesterday, I managed to obtain a ticket for the Shrewsbury match in the new Milton End. The rebuilt stand is obviously an improvement but it left me with major safety concerns.

You could try via Johnny Moore who is supporter liaison johnnymoore@pompeyfc.co.uk
There is that PST person that posts on here - can't remember their user name? Leon or something like that?
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Milton End »

Thanks Pompey55.

I have just emailed Johnny and hopefully will receive a response.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Milton End »

Milton End wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:50 am

Thanks Pompey55.

I have just emailed Johnny and hopefully will receive a response.
Just a quick follow-up.

Johnny responded promptly. He passed on my concerns to the Stadium Manager.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'm sure the club would have really liked to build back over specks lane.

I guess the problem with the toilets was increased at the weekend due to the way the stand had to be split for such a small number of Shrewsbury fans.
leen59
Collins Mbesuma

Post by leen59 »

I also concur with the safety concerns raised at the Milton End on Saturday. I witnessed 3 St John’s Ambulance staff personnel clearly responding to an incident in MQ section trying to force their way through the congestion on the concourse at half time.
I received an email from the club today, asking for completion of a survey regarding my match day experience on Saturday and have provided feedback about the issues I encountered , which hopefully the club will take on board.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Milton End »

leen59 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:47 pm I also concur with the safety concerns raised at the Milton End on Saturday. I witnessed 3 St John’s Ambulance staff personnel clearly responding to an incident in MQ section trying to force their way through the congestion on the concourse at half time.
I received an email from the club today, asking for completion of a survey regarding my match day experience on Saturday and have provided feedback about the issues I encountered , which hopefully the club will take on board.
Thank you for your additional confirmation

As follow-up, I have now received the following email message from Marie Stedman, Head of Safety and Stadium Operations at PFC:

"Thank you for your email,
The Club are aware of some of the challenges at the weekend and are looking at possible solutions to improve the match day experience.
Regards Marie"

At least we are towards the end of the season. Hence there will be time over the summer break to explore solutions.
Leon T.
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Leon T. »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:36 am

There is that PST person that posts on here - can't remember their user name? Leon or something like that?
That'll be me, yes.

I've been on holiday in the U.S. for the last week or so, but was made aware of concerns over the weekend. I raised the concerns with the PST Board, and Donald (PST Chair) contacted the club on Monday.

As others have said, the club is well aware of the concerns re. safety, as well as the reported issues with getting in / out of the stand and congestion on the concourse.

If I get any further updates I will let you know. Thank you to everyone who raised concerns here or elsewhere - it's really helpful.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Bumping this as I was in the ME on Tuesday. We were about 15 minutes late getting in because of the queue. Traffic was bad getting into the city but going by ME's post it'll be worth people allowing some extra time to get in.

Had a good view though and the safe standing was excellent.
Super Matt Macey in goal...