Top of the League.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 129 times

Re: Top of the League.

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:21 am How lucky are we. The league is supposedly weaker, and every other club in the league has seemingly been weaker, as they have failed to take advantage of it.
I didn't say "every club was weaker". I said it was weaker mainly due to Ipswich not being in League One. I actually agree with the Derby County fans who thought the middle section of the league was stronger. Conversely some of the teams going down this season are better than last seasons relegated teams.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

phat_chris wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:15 am I'd argue we have been unlucky. We have suffered season ending injuries to several key players and have missed other's for large portions of the season. Yet still we have come through as champions. That's all down to the fantastic work done by the club recruiting a brilliant squad of players and the manager instilling in those players the belief that they can overcome anything. Some players have been maligned by certain portions of the fan base, but have proven the doubters wrong, time and again, showing their mental fortitude. Not bad for a team of average L1 players 😉
Indeed, I don't think supporters of other clubs who didn't think we were that good gave credit to the fact that we had so many injuries. At one point we had 13 players out who would have featured in the first team squad. I was quoting the views of other clubs supporters.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:40 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:21 am How lucky are we. The league is supposedly weaker, and every other club in the league has seemingly been weaker, as they have failed to take advantage of it.
I didn't say "every club was weaker". I said it was weaker mainly due to Ipswich not being in League One. I actually agree with the Derby County fans who thought the middle section of the league was stronger. Conversely some of the teams going down this season are better than last seasons relegated teams.
so how is the league weaker then? if the middle teams are stronger, the bottom teams are stronger, that can only mean the top teams are too other wise they wouldnt be at the top, so that means the league must be stronger this season than last, barring one team in ipswich??
or am i completely missing a point here
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 157 times

Post by Pompey55 »

How can it be weaker when Barnsley Peterborough Derby and Bolton were near the top this and last season above us for last season
Surely we have improved or have they become weaker
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:59 am
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:02 pm It might be 'tongue in cheek' or not but I think most people are surprised by our success. My view is that I think League One is weaker this season without the likes of Ipswich, Plymouth and Wednesday. That doesn't detract from the brilliant job that Mousinho and the team have done. I was talking to some Derby County supporters who thought that League One was actually stronger this season. While they agreed no team had the ability of Ipswich they considered the league lost clubs that were extremely weak at this level and replaced by stronger clubs coming up.

I would think that no one could have predicted what has happened this season, except for one or two people who might like to suggest that they did. I think we have had our fair share of good fortune this season in games but very unlucky with injuries. John Mousinho is surprised at his own success so I don't think anyone could have predicted just how well he has done. He has overcome the terrible injury problems endured by the club and still managed to keep the team on track. I think that the summer transfer activity by the club was a mixed bag where some of the players that came in were a huge success while others failed to live up to their billing. The January transfer window was a fantastic effort by the club with the players they brought in, only for injury to take it's toll on their impact. It showed the club were willing to invest without being reckless.

I believe the club was 'marking time' until the owners considered the club was ready for elevation. I think the Eisner's are doing exactly what they said they would do and they now think we are ready for the next stage. I wonder if they are surprised themselves that things have changed so quickly. I know some people wanted them to invest more in the playing staff sooner. The fact that they remained pragmatic concerning the transfer activity convinced me that they wasn't quite ready but the investment became bigger and more quality was brought in that wasn't at the expense of outgoing talent to finance it. I always thought that they had ambition but I would have liked to have seen things happen a bit quicker. I don't think many people discounted the owners ambition but some wanted things done quicker. Not withstanding that the plane episode was just plain embarrassing and undeserved.

Anyway, we are there now and a new chapter has started. I would think more investment will be required than before but I am just glad we are out of the 'lower leagues', the so called 'lower echelons of the football pyramid'. I just think I don't think anyone could have predicted what has happened at our football club.
Walter, we have been top for the majority of the season, and are 12 points clear, we havent lost to any top 7 team, which include the likes of Derby, Bolton andf Barnsley, who most would consider big clubs from the championship, and YET we are surprised, lucky and the league was weak???

Give the club some f*****g credit, they have played carp at times, including tuesday, yet have foiund a way to win, that win wasnt because barnsley arent very good, its because the team doesnt give up, has good tactics, good team spirit

I wasn't actually going to reply to some of these replies because you have misconstrued the essence of my post again. I was quoting remarks from other clubs forums and then added my own views.

"Give the club some credit" ? How can anyone not give the club credit after the season we have had. The essence of my post is that I am, and many other people including the bookies and our own head coach, are surprised by the margin of how much success we have had this season. Maybe you predicted it, maybe you knew we would do so well, maybe you are very clever. However, the essence of my post was that I was surprised by our success, I thought we would do well because I thought our first eleven was stronger than last season. Maybe you didn't rate Ipswich but I happen to think that they have been the best and classiest team that has been in League One since we came back to it. On the basis of that their absence made League One just that bit more easier, that is not criticising Pompey or any other team. They were building their team with Championship players the season before they went up so, of course, they were going to be a tough proposition last season.

Quite why you needed to quote the obvious about how we have been on top for most of the season. Or that none of the top seven were able to beat us and that Derby & Bolton are big clubs. All that is obvious and without doubt, what was your point?

It seems to cause offence by me saying that I was surprised, along with many other people, that we have done so well especially considering the injuries. We all have different viewpoints but if it differs from yours you find it ridiculous.

Just one last thing, before you try and ridicule this post, look back at my recent posts and you will see I have made an assertion. In it I said that at this stage of the season a team is where it should be in the league. Luck, bad luck, poor ref decisions and so on even out over 46 games. If you are interested you will note that I concluded that as we are top of the league now we are are there because we deserve to be because we have been the best team. Is that not giving the team credit?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:02 pm
so how is the league weaker then? if the middle teams are stronger, the bottom teams are stronger, that can only mean the top teams are too other wise they wouldnt be at the top, so that means the league must be stronger this season than last, barring one team in ipswich??
Yes you are missing the point. The fact there was no Ipswich means we didn't have to contend with an extra ordinary talented team in League One terms. Barnsley were weakened by having to sell their best players and not being able to replace them. We are at the top because we are much better than last season. We didn't have to compete with Sheffield Wednesday and the way theylthrew money at getting promotion. We have won the league because we have the best team this season and the competition was on a much leveller playing field.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:16 pm How can it be weaker when Barnsley Peterborough Derby and Bolton were near the top this and last season above us for last season
Surely we have improved or have they become weaker
You have answered your own question, we are better this season. I don't think we are on a par with Ipswich, but the best team in League One this season.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 pm
Yes you are missing the point. The fact there was no Ipswich means we didn't have to contend with an extra ordinary talented team in League One terms. Barnsley were weakened by having to sell their best players and not being able to replace them. We are at the top because we are much better than last season. We didn't have to compete with Sheffield Wednesday and the way theylthrew money at getting promotion. We have won the league because we have the best team this season and the competition was on a much leveller playing field.
Do you know what Walter, I give up, you have contradicted yourself on absolutely every level

As far as I am concerned the table speaks for itself, you can not do what we have done by being lucky and relying on other teams to be carp
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

This seasons Pompey beat last season Sheffield Wednesday.
This seasons Pompey beat this seasons Sheffield Wednesday for me too.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:38 pm
Do you know what Walter, I give up, you have contradicted yourself on absolutely every level

As far as I am concerned the table speaks for itself, you can not do what we have done by being lucky and relying on other teams to be carp

For goodness sake! Do you read my posts? I don't blame you if you don't, but you obviously only think what you want if you do. Try and understand that I am not disagreeing with you a great deal. If you do read them you will note that I was quoting what some opposition fans were saying, not what I think, just conveying what some of them said. You will also note that my view is that we are deserving champions because we have been the best team in the league. Not by luck but because we have been the best team. That is what I have said so there is no contradiction there. Earlier I made an assertion that at this point of the season teams are generally in the position that they should be. Luck evens itself out over the 46 games. In fact I think we have been unlucky losing so many first choice player to season long injuries, which is what I have also said.

Where we do disagree is that I am surprised how well we have fared this season, especially given the injuries we have had. I also think that League One was weaker at the top end with the likes of Ipswich & Sheffield Wednesday not being there, which is somethingwe do appear to disagree onl. Even then I think Pompey are stronger than last season and we quite possibly would have fared better if we had this team last season. I haven't said that we won the league because the other teams were rubbish, it's you saying that is what I have said. Just check my posts to see where you say I have contradicted myself, these are the views I have posted. I plainly said that the opposition views were not consistent with my views. Amongst those views tendered by the less complimentary views are posts that are more considered and congratulating to us as well.

I really don't understand why you need to completely misconstrue everything I post. This is far from the first time you have done this. Just go and read what I have posted and you will see that I haven't. There is disagreement between us, obviously, but that is the way of the world, not the end of it. Bizarrely we have both got we want which is a hugely successful season for our team yet you seem to want to nit pick everything I have said, or more like what I haven't said.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:44 pm This seasons Pompey beat last season Sheffield Wednesday.
This seasons Pompey beat this seasons Sheffield Wednesday for me too.
You are quite possibly right, I wouldn't argue against that.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

For goodness sake! Do you read my posts? I don't blame you if you don't, but you obviously only think what you want if you do. Try and understand that I am not disagreeing with you a great deal. If you do read them you will note that I was quoting what some opposition fans were saying, not what I think, just conveying what some of them said. You will also note that my view is that we are deserving champions because we have been the best team in the league. Not by luck but because we have been the best team. That is what I have said so there is no contradiction there. Earlier I made an assertion that at this point of the season teams are generally in the position that they should be. Luck evens itself out over the 46 games. In fact I think we have been unlucky losing so many first choice player to season long injuries, which is what I have also said.

Where we do disagree is that I am surprised how well we have fared this season, especially given the injuries we have had. I also think that League One was weaker at the top end with the likes of Ipswich & Sheffield Wednesday not being there, which is somethingwe do appear to disagree onl. Even then I think Pompey are stronger than last season and we quite possibly would have fared better if we had this team last season. I haven't said that we won the league because the other teams were rubbish, it's you saying that is what I have said. Just check my posts to see where you say I have contradicted myself, these are the views I have posted. I plainly said that the opposition views were not consistent with my views. Amongst those views tendered by the less complimentary views are posts that are more considered and congratulating to us as well.

I really don't understand why you need to completely misconstrue everything I post. This is far from the first time you have done this. Just go and read what I have posted and you will see that I haven't. There is disagreement between us, obviously, but that is the way of the world, not the end of it. Bizarrely we have both got we want which is a hugely successful season for our team yet you seem to want to nit pick everything I have said, or more like what I haven't said.
So if the league was weaker because the teams that went up last season weren't there, that must mean that every year the league gets weaker and weaker? Who ever wins next year will say its weaker because we aren't there? No point celebrating being champions really is there, **** league that gets worse every year because the best teams go up ??
Why does it matter how strong the league is was or might be, you have to beat the teams that are in that league, and we have orives to be the best team in this league, just celebrate that and forget trying to out any sort of downer on it for a change
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 157 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:55 am

So if the league was weaker because the teams that went up last season weren't there, that must mean that every year the league gets weaker and weaker? Who ever wins next year will say its weaker because we aren't there? No point celebrating being champions really is there, **** league that gets worse every year because the best teams go up ??
Why does it matter how strong the league is was or might be, you have to beat the teams that are in that league, and we have orives to be the best team in this league, just celebrate that and forget trying to out any sort of downer on it for a change
Three of the teams from last season's playoffs finished below us plus Derby who despite being under an embargo strengthened then take into account the 3 relegated teams and we finished first I felt last season only Ipswich stood out as has been shown this season
At the beginning of the season I would have taken a play-off position but this team has surprised many including the bookies
Can't we just celebrate without nit picking
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 33 times

Post by StMonkton »

WE WON THE LEAGUE.

In the future when anyone looks at the tables from the past, 2023 24 won’t have an asterisk next to it.

WE WON THE LEAGUE WE WERE IN. COMFORTABLY.

END OF.

PUP
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:07 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:55 am

Three of the teams from last season's playoffs finished below us plus Derby who despite being under an embargo strengthened then take into account the 3 relegated teams and we finished first I felt last season only Ipswich stood out as has been shown this season
At the beginning of the season I would have taken a play-off position but this team has surprised many including the bookies
Can't we just celebrate without nit picking
I am fine with that but it is galling to be critised for things I never said. Like you I am surprised, and delighted, at the way the season has turned out. I thought we would feature well but to finish top is brilliant. If you take our wholesale injuries into account it is even remarkable.