Australia

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Re: Australia

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

the_lock_man wrote:
Number 1 Jasper wrote:
clairewanderingaimlessly wrote:and Austrailia still have a Union Jack on their flag :!:

No , they have the union flag on their flag .
Jasper, Jasper, Jasper, do please keep up.

Both Union Flag and Union Jack are correct names for our national flag. THis was proclaimed in Parliament in 1908, having been decided by the Admiralty in 1902 (I think it was) and discussed heavily on this very forum less than a week ago. The belief that Union Jack is only correct when flown from the bow of a warship is erroneous.
And the misunderstanding of the Parliament ruling continues.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:
Number 1 Jasper wrote:
clairewanderingaimlessly wrote:and Austrailia still have a Union Jack on their flag :!:

Both Union Flag and Union Jack are correct names for our national flag. THis was proclaimed in Parliament in 1908, having been decided by the Admiralty in 1902 (I think it was) and discussed heavily on this very forum less than a week ago. The belief that Union Jack is only correct when flown from the bow of a warship is erroneous.
Well, you better go and do some more research then, hadn't you...... :roll:
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

I heard they are Changing their Sports kit from Green and Gold to Green and Silver .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Number 1 Jasper wrote:I heard they are Changing their Sports kit from Green and Gold to Green and Silver .
The Gold Coast is being renamed the The 'Bronze' or 'Frankly Disappointing Finish' Coast.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

the_lock_man wrote:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:
Number 1 Jasper wrote:

Well, you better go and do some more research then, hadn't you...... :roll:

Again, that Parliament ruling only stated "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag". It did not decree that the land-based version is now also called the Union Jack. Did it.

The Admiralty decree is entirely separate, is not a Parliamentary ruling and only acted to clarify usage for RN personnel.

It's wholly uninteresting semantics as many people use 'Jack' for both flags, but the ruling people are quoting is not quoting what people think.

(Source: Military training)