Olympic Football Final

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Albie McCann's Legs

Olympic Football Final

Post by Albie McCann's Legs »

Spent the afternoon at Wembley for the Olympic Football Final and have to admit it was weird. Luckily our tickets were in "our" end, lower section block 109 near the back. First thoughts of what to wear, it's not hard to want Brazil to win but thought I'm going back so I had to wear the cup final shirt so took the bag I've taken each of the times we've been there which just happened to have a flag in it. When I tied it to a railing and lo and behold there seemed to be quite a few blues around by the number of thumbs up I got.
Th atmosphere was strange, very subdued, I suppose it was always going to be like that with so many nations and neutrals there and not 2 sets of fans. There were samba drums playing somewhere, a few Mexican waves and loads of Europeans in Brazil shirts. Along from us was A Mexican bloke who was giving it his all. In a quiet moment I did get a few Blue Armees going with some Pompey fans a few rows in front.
The game started most bizarrely, Brazil plays a silly pass and Mexican sticks it was from edge of the box. Still Brazil never woke up, it wasn't until Hulk came on that they came to life. In my mind Mexico wanted it more and were playing the better football. Brazil came out for the second half with more purpose but had no end product, crosses were poor as were the corners, seemed to want to walk it in. Mexico added a second and a grandstand finish was set up when Brazil sorted as 90 minutes approached then as the clock was ticking down Brazil put in their best cross and a free header went just wide when he should have netted it.
Mexico were worthy winners on the day.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Olympic Football Final

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

watched it in a Mexican bar.
The atmos was very ho-hum and in complete contrast to footy matches that count.
Just don't think footy fans rate the Olympics as a serious competition.
Div III. Call it what it is.
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

When i saw Brazil in the quarter finals they didn't look like a team. Some awesome potential on the field, but they didn't gel the same way the best senior teams do.
Albie McCann's Legs

Post by Albie McCann's Legs »

Did seem strange being a final with no cup being presented. A few fans left before the final whistle so just assumed they were the Spurs branch of the Brazil fan club
Pompey Junglist
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Junglist »

... and chips wrote:When i saw Brazil in the quarter finals they didn't look like a team. Some awesome potential on the field, but they didn't gel the same way the best senior teams do.
Agreed. Which is why Keown got my back up saying Mexico would have a tiny chance if they played at their best. Good to see the best team win and Martin confirmed as a gormless plank.
No never, no never no more will I trust the elves of Dunsimore