Closing Ceremony

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Re: Closing Ceremony

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Have to say it improved. Eric Idle was superb - as were Muse and Queen.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Awesome! GB plc, take a very well deserved bow.

What the hell are we going to do now? The whole 17 days has been amazing, inspirational, emotional, unforgetable, and has made me feel hugely proud to be British.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Take it all back. bl**dy amazing! What a finale.

Got the paralympics to look forward to, Sherl - and I bet they'll be just as inspirational, if not more.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Pompey Junglist wrote:I like how we kettled all the athletes into a union jack.
All part of the London experience.

That was the slowest part of the show - electric cattle-prods for Rio I think. Otherwise I quite enjoyed that eclectic show - George Michael creased me up as did Eric Idle and Freddie Mercury (twenty years dead and can still work an audience).
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:Awesome! GB plc, take a very well deserved bow.

What the hell are we going to do now? The whole 17 days has been amazing, inspirational, emotional, unforgetable, and has made me feel hugely proud to be British.
Frequent applause in the pub we watched it in, and friends who managed to get into open air big screen events reported the same.

Didn't think we'd be able to top the Opening Ceremony but what I have just seen was just astonishing. The athletes had front row seats to one amazing concert!

And we managed to catch Miss Murray grab a silver in the Pentathlon in the local park. The roar each time our two contenders were in front of the crowd was pretty damned goosebumpy.
Last edited by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Do you think Dave Cameron enjoyed the Indian dancing?
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

If you wondered where she was....

https://twitter.com/Queen_UK
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

It was phenomenal. How, where and when did they rehearse that? The stadium's been in use for the past two weeks.
clairewanderingaimlessly
Peter Mellor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by clairewanderingaimlessly »

Ray Davies fresh from Highgate Cemetary Terrible Ray stay at home with McCartney and that orange hair ohhh nooo!
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Lost in Kate's Tinsel wrote:
Pompey Junglist wrote:I like how we kettled all the athletes into a union jack.
All part of the London experience.

That was the slowest part of the show - electric cattle-prods for Rio I think. Otherwise I quite enjoyed that eclectic show - George Michael creased me up as did Eric Idle and Freddie Mercury (twenty years dead and can still work an audience).
Queen and Jessie J were good(although I had to resist snatching the remote control from the missus when she said 'its just noise'). George Michael too.

Dear Beijing, we've got this openly gay, drug-taking criminal arrested twice for sexual deviancy and once crashed a car while stoned. And he wants to sing a song called Freedom. Would you have a problem with this?

LOCOG
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

I thought it was very good, although it appeared that they got the sound a bit dodgy at times, you could hardly hear Annie Lennox and she has a fantatstic voice. I thought old George was a bit ropey to be honest, Idle was fantastic and totally unexpected, thought that sequence was superb.

One direction appeared to be having a few 1970's TOPT lip syncing problems :-)

Elbow were awesome.

All in all very good and a great finish to the games which although i was not really excited about, thoroughly enjoyed every minute.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

Proud to be British - nuff said
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Albie McCann's Legs

Post by Albie McCann's Legs »

Very kind of Elbow to play our cup final song,plenty of good rock singers around to sing along with Brian May, Paul Rodgers has gigged with them, and they choose Jessie J, I suppose to keep the kids interested.
Roger Daltrey must have had something done to his voice as it sounded better than the last couple of times I've heard it. A miilion times better than their performance at Superbowl a couple of years ago. Strange that Kaiser Chiefs did Pinball Wizard when they have their own catalogue and The 'Oooo being on the show. Would have loved to have seen Bowie as opposed to a recording. Hats off to Gary Barlow for turning up after such a tragic week.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I don't think anyone would have blamed Gary Barlow for pulling out. More than just hats off, IMHO.
Ziggy Stardust wrote:Take it all back. bl**dy amazing! What a finale.

Got the paralympics to look forward to, Sherl - and I bet they'll be just as inspirational, if not more.
Yeah, but no, but yeah. We considered getting tickets for the athletics at the Paras, mainly so we could say we've been in the Olympic Stadium. We've decided against it, because we reckon it won't be the same atmosphere, there won't be the same buzz, and it would be an anti-climax.

Certainly, the back-stories of the competitors would be inspirational, but you don't watch the back-story.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

I think you'll be surprised. They're going to sell out too. I've been struggling to get athletics ones. Having said that, off to Italy on the 5th so missing half of them anyway (gotta be a sick joke in there but won't go there)