Exciting times

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Exciting times

Post by ... and chips »

Hard drive data --> DNA --> hard drive data with 100% accuracy

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80bea ... QRe4rTEj-l
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Exciting times

Post by Pompski! »

It really is incredible. Apparantly they could theoretically store every piece of media that has ever been created on Earth in just enough DNA to fill a coffee mug.

That's science alright.
I am me, the universe and you.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompski! wrote:It really is incredible. Apparantly they could theoretically store every piece of media that has ever been created on Earth in just enough DNA to fill a coffee mug.

That's science alright.
Yeah, but who created DNA? :twisted:
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

I'd hate to meet the animal that would be created from a DNA record of my life.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

[youtube][/youtube]
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham

Post by Pompski! »

the_lock_man wrote:
Pompski! wrote:It really is incredible. Apparantly they could theoretically store every piece of media that has ever been created on Earth in just enough DNA to fill a coffee mug.

That's science alright.
No-one did. It was a process. A very long process of atoms joining together to form compounds, the compounds joined together to make proteins and cells etc. It can be done in the lab you know. Take some amino acids, put them in the right conditions and they form proteins. Wait a few billion years and you get Jedwood. Top of the 15 billion year evolutionary tree. Fantastic.

For those who missed this show last night, it is WELL worth a look on iPlayer. Puts us in our place alright.
[youtube][/youtube]
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Pompski! wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:

That's science alright.
No-one did. It was a process. A very long process of atoms joining together to form compounds, the compounds joined together to make proteins and cells etc. It can be done in the lab you know. Take some amino acids, put them in the right conditions and they form proteins. Wait a few billion years and you get Jedwood. Top of the 15 billion year evolutionary tree. Fantastic.

For those who missed this show last night, it is WELL worth a look on iPlayer. Puts us in our place alright.
[youtube][/youtube]
And all you need to confirm this fact is someone to live for at least 15 billion years and confirm it all. However, until then, write it down, call it advancing science and everyone who chooses not to think of an alternative will believe you.

We have had this argument many times and you have, in the past, said that you believe everything in existence comes from an original piece of dust. You haven't said where it came from or who created it?
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham

Post by Pompski! »

uspompeyfan wrote:
And all you need to confirm this fact is someone to live for at least 15 billion years and confirm it all. However, until then, write it down, call it advancing science and everyone who chooses not to think of an alternative will believe you.

We have had this argument many times and you have, in the past, said that you believe everything in existence comes from an original piece of dust. You haven't said where it came from or who created it?
Whoah, slow down there dude. The 15 billion (or so) years of evidence is in our DNA. If you do a bit of research you will find that every living thing on Earth shares some of our DNA. Chimps share something like 98%, because we evolved from the same point not that long ago. We share about 7% of our human DNA with mushrooms because we evolved from the same point a longer time ago. You can trace all living things back to almost day one and prove how related we are to everything else.

Do you really think that this is just a random theory without any evidence to back it up? This is tried and tested research.

Let me put it this way. You don't believe that the science behind this is correct but you do believe in the science behind the technology that makes your car safe? Or created your shoes? or food? Hmmmmm. Bit selective aren't you. Without any reasoning either. Tut tut.
some other bloke
Mickey Quinn

Post by some other bloke »

Dangerous creationist loony.
You really don't know what the square root of sixteen is... no-one does.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by phat_chris »

Pompski! wrote:
uspompeyfan wrote:

Whoah, slow down there dude. The 15 billion (or so) years of evidence is in our DNA. If you do a bit of research you will find that every living thing on Earth shares some of our DNA. Chimps share something like 98%, because we evolved from the same point not that long ago. We share about 7% of our human DNA with mushrooms because we evolved from the same point a longer time ago. You can trace all living things back to almost day one and prove how related we are to everything else.

Do you really think that this is just a random theory without any evidence to back it up? This is tried and tested research.

Let me put it this way. You don't believe that the science behind this is correct but you do believe in the science behind the technology that makes your car safe? Or created your shoes? or food? Hmmmmm. Bit selective aren't you. Without any reasoning either. Tut tut.

13.7 billion years, but who's counting. Was facinated watching the show and the realisation that every living thing on this planet shares some part of our genetic code is truely miraculous. Frankly, anyone who blindly disregards the evidence and the physics behind it is never going to be convinced.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Pompski! wrote:Whoah, slow down there dude. The 15 billion (or so) years of evidence is in our DNA. If you do a bit of research you will find that every living thing on Earth shares some of our DNA. Chimps share something like 98%, because we evolved from the same point not that long ago. We share about 7% of our human DNA with mushrooms because we evolved from the same point a longer time ago. You can trace all living things back to almost day one and prove how related we are to everything else.

As a reminder from our previous threads...
I do see the benefits of scientific research in medicine, safety and all that. I am not a scientific expert, but know many who are. I accept that limited evolution occurs to suit environmental changes. However, I also believe that God craeted the earth and everything in it.

You don't believe in God because you have no proof, yet there is plenty of evidence through the ages to back it up. You choose not to believe as you have no faith in anything that you don't understand.

I don't believe in pure evolution without God because the complicated mechanics of all living things needed to be created. not put down to a theory. Therefore, you believe your science although there is no proof other than plenty of evidence to back it up.

Thus, science is a religion as it expects everyone to believe the evolution theory, and has it taught through the schools without the definitive proof.... so there are similarities between us.

Seconds after we're dead, the answer will be revealed. Either life ends and that's it, or one's spiritual life will continue in heaven or hell for eternity. You may not understand my faith, but I don't understand that you would risk an eternity in hell.... we are both different, believing different things. I just pray for those who would risk eternity for an idea concocted by Man. I am perfectly happy with what the future holds for me.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

some other bloke wrote:Dangerous creationist loony.
Ah, the intelligence of some.....
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham

Post by Pompski! »

uspompeyfan wrote: As a reminder from our previous threads...
I do see the benefits of scientific research in medicine, safety and all that. I am not a scientific expert, but know many who are. I accept that limited evolution occurs to suit environmental changes. However, I also believe that God craeted the earth and everything in it.

So you pick and choose which bits of science you believe in but not others. The science in DNA is less complex than the science that makes your car work but you believe in that.
uspompeyfan wrote: You don't believe in God because you have no proof, yet there is plenty of evidence through the ages to back it up. You choose not to believe as you have no faith in anything that you don't understand.
There is proof God exists? I look forward to seeing it. I hope you are not thinking of the bible though. I read a book once about an egg that fell off a wall and horses couldn't fix him. Maybe I'll start a religion! There is NO proof god exists. If you think there is, enlighten me.
uspompeyfan wrote: I don't believe in pure evolution without God because the complicated mechanics of all living things needed to be created. not put down to a theory. Therefore, you believe your science although there is no proof other than plenty of evidence to back it up.
The problem with religious folk is that they think "science theory" is like "religious theory" in that it's just an opinion. they don't realise that by definition, science theory is a tried and proven approach. The outcome of an experiment won't even be considered unless it has be repeated many times with the same outcome and can be peer reviewed for some considerable time. Therefore scientific theory is as close to science fact as is humanly possible.
uspompeyfan wrote:Thus, science is a religion as it expects everyone to believe the evolution theory, and has it taught through the schools without the definitive proof.... so there are similarities between us.
That is BS. Science doesn't require faith or belief. It just is what it is. It works without belief or faith as you can confirm because your car works, your body processes food and you haven't suddently floated off into space. Science applies to everyone in the universe whether an atheist, jew, christian, rabbit or tree equally. It is not an opinion, it's the building block on which everything we know exists.
uspompeyfan wrote:Seconds after we're dead, the answer will be revealed. Either life ends and that's it, or one's spiritual life will continue in heaven or hell for eternity. You may not understand my faith, but I don't understand that you would risk an eternity in hell.... we are both different, believing different things. I just pray for those who would risk eternity for an idea concocted by Man. I am perfectly happy with what the future holds for me.
Before I was born, I was made of star dust, formed in supernovae for billions of years which was a lot hotter than hell, and I didn't feel a thing.

By the way, for your enjoyment, here is a rough tree of life: http://evogeneao.com/images/Evo_large.gif
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham

Post by Pompski! »

By the way, all this BS about hell. You do realise you are going to about 20 hells too? You don't follow Islam, so you'll be going to the Islamic version of hell, you are not a Sikh, Jew etc so you'll end up in all of those hells too. In fact you'll only be going to one less hell than me. (if hell existed of course).
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

So who pushed the big bang button eh? Gotcha there ain't I. And don't tell me you believe in all that half a spin nonsense in quantum physics eh. eh. eh. And never forget the graviton where is it? fooeeee, there you go case proven. There is a God and he likes me (sometimes).
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.