RIP Maggie Thatcher

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Re: RIP Maggie Thatcher

Post by Pompey Dave »

A truly evil woman who I will not feel remorse for. Party in Trafalgar square tonight.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Deadeye Dillon
Paul Merson

Post by Deadeye Dillon »

"I'm not crying.... it's just been raining on my face"
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

RubiconCSL wrote:Cool, I hope it's a week day, as I work round the corner. Love all that pomp and ceremony stuff.
Yeah, and I'm sure Arthur Scargill will pop round from his Barbican flat too.

By the way, are his downtrodden NUM 'brothers' still paying the extortionate rent for it out of their pension pot while he considers appealing the court decision he lost on the matter?
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote:Cool, I hope it's a week day, as I work round the corner. Love all that pomp and ceremony stuff.

By the way, are his downtrodden NUM 'brothers' still paying the extortionate rent for it out of their pension pot while he considers appealing the court decision he lost on the matter?

Evil vs Evil - the only winners out of all of it were the bankers and Thatcher's chums who sat on the boards of privatised industries and utilities.

Oh yeah - and Arthur Scargill.

We're all mugs.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:

Is Bob Crow, earning £160,000 a year including during strikes, still living in that 3-bed council house?

"Do we really want social housing purely for those people that are poor?”...Mmm, yes Bob.
Last edited by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deadeye Dillon
Paul Merson

Post by Deadeye Dillon »

Pompey Dave wrote:A truly evil woman who I will not feel remorse for. Party in Trafalgar square tonight.
You know what, I was struggling with this but I think I agree with you. Evil.
"I'm not crying.... it's just been raining on my face"
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Deadeye Dillon wrote:
Pompey Dave wrote:A truly evil woman who I will not feel remorse for. Party in Trafalgar square tonight.
Agreed .

I know HH posted about the left ( on another thread ) , but IMHO no matter what party she represented she was an EVIL person .
Last edited by Number 1 Jasper on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Milkins wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote:

Evil vs Evil - the only winners out of all of it were the bankers and Thatcher's chums who sat on the boards of privatised industries and utilities.

We're all mugs.
Who's good and who's evil is usually dependent on your personal viewpoint. I'm not saying Maggie was perfect, far from it (particularly toward the end of her time at No. 10), but on a balance of probability I'd say this country is a darned sight better off for having had her leadership than it would have been without it. Only my opinion of course, and appreciate she is Marmite (now on toast) :wink:
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

[youtube][/youtube]
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Number 1 Jasper wrote:
Deadeye Dillon wrote:
Agreed .

I know HH posted about the left ( on another thread ) , but IMHO no matter what party she represented she was an EVIL person .
It's an interesting contrast to how the Right describe the excesses of the Left.
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
Milkins wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote:

We're all mugs.
Who's good and who's evil is usually dependent on your personal viewpoint. I'm not saying Maggie was perfect, far from it (particularly toward the end of her time at No. 10), but on a balance of probability I'd say this country is a darned sight better off for having had her leadership than it would have been without it. Only my opinion of course, and appreciate she is Marmite (now on toast) :wink:
She allowed the pockets of her chums to be lined unhindered - she allowed a cohort of thugs to be drafted into the police force (some of whom I can only imagine now hold senior posts. Read about how they were drafted in to smash Stonehenge Festival - it's a cracker...) - she allowed the dispersal sale of council houses (what for? To "enable" those who wished to get on the housing ladder? I don't think so. More like to get the cost of social housing down and in the process burden unsuspecting home owners with debt they could barely service). I could go on. For all the positive things she achieved there were so many negatives. She definitely makes the obituaryometer swing towards evil as far as I'm concerned.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

When my grandmother was alive the only regret she expressed was that she would not live to see the death of "that bitch"
... and chips
Kev the Kitman

Post by ... and chips »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
Nobody knows what state the country would be in if she hadn't come to power. Perhaps the financial industry wouldn't be holding the rest of the economy to ransom. Maybe we wouldn't need a geographical rebalancing of the economy because the gap between north and south wouldn't be so wide. There might not be calls for increasing the size of the manufacturing industry.

May she rest in piece. Unfortunately, even though she has gone, her legacy lives on in part of New Labour, but particularly the current Tory government.
Kingofstar
Interim Manager

Post by Kingofstar »

Genuinely, genuinely pleased she is dead.

I shall dance on her grave.
It's not the despair, Lua Lua. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQEdeKreB4w
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

As one of those 80s kids who grew up under Thatcher, I have always been an admirer (not a surprise to many on this board, I'm sure).

I am not, and never have been rich - but I understood that by working hard at what I wanted, I would achieve my goals. This was the ethic that Thatcher put in when she ousted Labour in 1979.

For those of my age, I'm sure you'll have neatly forgotten the rising of prices for everyday foods. For me it was candy (sweets) when those 'fruit salads' and 'blackjacks'went from 8 a penny to 1p each. I remember my parents struggling to make a monthly budget for household spending because they couldn't keep up with price increases for milk, bread and essentials. I am sure it affected other 'higher priced' items with the various tax incraeses coming in.

After years of affluent spending in the 70s by labour, the country was bankrupt, owing millions to the IMF - which had to be paid back to avoid the interest charges imposed (mmm not to dis-similar to today, where insurance is concerned). The rise in unemployment was forecast by her government because of the stark cut-backs that were needed to get the country on an even keel. The public felt the hardship, but under Labour, the people had been handed benefits the country couldn't afford.

Under her leadership, we won the Falklands War. We have board members who fought in that campaign and I value their memories of the conflict (Simon). I remember the mood of the country lifted dramatically after vthe victory and she was the commander in chief of the campaign as leader of the country. She made tough decisions and had to live with them, including the Belgrano (which I support her stance).

We are all entitled to our opinions, but she wanted Britain to be great and was passionate about it. The villification she has suffered in her later life and now death is a sadder reflection of the society of today. May she RIP and hopefully her legacy of leaving the country financailly better off (as opposed to individuals) will be viewed differently in years to come.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.