Ambivalence turns to genuine excitement!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

blitzoid
Billy The Boot Boy

Ambivalence turns to genuine excitement!

Post by blitzoid »

I am sure I am not alone when I say that I haven't really enjoyed being a Pompey fan much of late.
Over the last 5 or so seasons, especially towards the end of each season I have been bored, with no sense of excitement building for the start of the following season. To be honest, I only continued to buy my season ticket because it was my Dad's seat and I didn't want anyone else sitting in it, and I am a Pompey fan and that's what we do.

BUT..
I am *really* looking forward to next season and cant wait for the ST prices to be announced so I can get mine.
I (will) own a tiny part of the club and it feels great to be a part of. Genuinely excited about it all.

Onwards!
Its such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Ambivalence turns to genuine excitement!

Post by Earl Grey »

If the opening game is like the last home game then a lot of people will return for good.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

blitzoid wrote:I am sure I am not alone when I say that I haven't really enjoyed being a Pompey fan much of late.
Over the last 5 or so seasons, especially towards the end of each season I have been bored, with no sense of excitement building for the start of the following season. To be honest, I only continued to buy my season ticket because it was my Dad's seat and I didn't want anyone else sitting in it, and I am a Pompey fan and that's what we do.

BUT..
I am *really* looking forward to next season and cant wait for the ST prices to be announced so I can get mine.
I (will) own a tiny part of the club and it feels great to be a part of. Genuinely excited about it all.

Onwards!
Feel exactly the same mate :thumb
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

As I've said previously, I had largely fallen out of love with football. Not just because of all the sordid goings on at Pompey, but because money has turned many of those in the game into whores whose only loyalty is to self-interest. Time will tell whether the new dawn at Fratton Park proves to be a one-off, or whether it signals that the tide has turned. I doubt we'll be the last club to find itself in this position, though I also doubt much will change for the mercenaries (and worse) - at least not until the Sky TV money dries up (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Am I excited about our prospects? Not overly.

Do I worry that we'll find it difficult to sustain a 'community' club, even in the lower reaches of the Football League? Yes, I do.

Am I glad that we still have a football club? You bet I am, and anything more will be a bonus.
Fratton End Exile
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Fratton End Exile »

Won't get a season ticket, but yes russell am really looking forward to next season :thumb
Vince
BlueFaith
Milan Mandaric

Post by BlueFaith »

Yep, definitely looking forward to next season. I've kept my ST but last season ended up missing a lot of games as I found other things to do, never bothered checking if there was a game on, and when I did go rarely knew who we were playing or whereabouts in the league they were. I just fell out of love with football alongside getting frustrated with all the off the field activities. For some bizarre reason though I pledged to buy a share.

The Sheffield United game was brilliant - fantastic atmosphere, obviously great result but also a sense of satisfaction at owning very small part of the club, along with 1400 odd other people!

Starting with a "clean slate" in league two is going to be good - might even post more often on this board!
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

I have a great sense of anticipation, but with no expectation, for next season. Its a wonderful feeling to know that we start next season on a level playing field with all the other clubs, we can put together a competetive squad without the restaraints of administration, although obviously within the budget restraints.
My only fear is that the players dont play with the freedom that they had towards the end of this season, as they may feel there is a wieght of expectation that they must bounce straight back up. a solid year in mid table would siut me fine, as long as we play entertaining football which brings the crowds back to the park. If we can get good crowds every week, that boosts the coffers and we can then push on, little by little.
I hope that the current squad will all stay, if Guy wants them that is, as the momentum and clear team spirit they have will have them doing well in league 2.
Heres to the future PUP
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

For the last few years the football has been almost irrelevant although I confess to being a Season Ticket Holder and seeing every home game this year (and for many years before that) so games this year have been really dire but it didn't seem to matter as long as we had a team on the pitch. The main thing we all obsessed about was the latest court case and how to get rid of charges etc. I reckon you could pick anyone in Portsmouth and ask them the laws of administration and they'd have a good go at it. Next year its back to worrying about the football I can't wait personally lets hope we're able to be competitive at least this year we won't be playing with one arm behind our backs (maybe that should be leg)
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I'm looking forward to next season. And if I get the job(s) I've applied for in Portsmouth, I'll be relocating back to the motherland. That will be one more season ticket sold...
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

portchesterblue wrote:I hope that the current squad will all stay, if Guy wants them that is, as the momentum and clear team spirit they have will have them doing well in league 2.
Heres to the future PUP
A number have indicated that they would be willing to stay, Gyepes, Rocha, Ertl and Connolly being 4. Agyemang is a free agent this summer, so there's another who'd be prime for staying, since he's resurrected his career here. Add in the youth lads. Decent looking L2 squad, IMHO. WHilst I don't want to have any expectations, you'd have to hope that if we kept hold of the majority, we'd be back in L1 sooner rather than later.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

the_lock_man wrote:
portchesterblue wrote:I hope that the current squad will all stay, if Guy wants them that is, as the momentum and clear team spirit they have will have them doing well in league 2.
Heres to the future PUP
A number have indicated that they would be willing to stay, Gyepes, Rocha, Ertl and Connolly being 4. Agyemang is a free agent this summer, so there's another who'd be prime for staying, since he's resurrected his career here. Add in the youth lads. Decent looking L2 squad, IMHO. WHilst I don't want to have any expectations, you'd have to hope that if we kept hold of the majority, we'd be back in L1 sooner rather than later.
I always think you should build the spine of the team first - and with those listed above, its a pretty strong one for League Two.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."