Pocket Money Football At Fratton

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Pocket Money Football At Fratton

Post by Selsey Bill »

More good news, especially for those of us with kids :-) :thumb

From the O/S

Pompey have slashed prices for young blues by 50 per cent for the 2013/14 season.

Matchday ticket prices for junior supporters (16 and under) will cost just £5 in all areas of the stadium.

Adult tickets will remain at £20, while senior (60+) and young person (17-22) seats will stay at £15.

But there will no longer be a booking fee for tickets bought online – offering a saving of five per cent.

Tickets will still be sold online, by phone and from the Frogmore Road ticket office – but fans will also be able to use PayPal and Facebook to purchase their seat.

Pompey engagement manager Micah Hall said: “We have held our matchday prices for adults at £20 and there will be no booking fee when they’re bought online.

“This means they will be five per cent cheaper in effect, while there will also be a substantial saving for the club.

“We have also held our young person and senior tickets at £15, again with no booking fee.

“We’ve slashed our prices for juniors by 50 per cent, so instead of paying £10, they now pay just £5 in all areas of the stadium.

“The reasoning behind this is that we want not only to see Fratton Park full of kids, but also reintroduce the era of ‘pocket money football’.

“We want them to get the money from their paper round and use that to buy a ticket – not have to rely on their parents to pay for them.

“We want to see teenagers who want to come to the football, be able to come along with groups of their friends and be able to afford it.

“When we release the season ticket prices – which we’re looking to do next Tuesday – they will be competitively priced.

“We can’t release them sooner because, as the club has just come out of administration. There are processes that need to be put in place for direct debits, which couldn’t be organised before the takeover.

“We went out and listened to fans. They told us what they wanted and we have listened to them. We’re going to do what they want.”
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Pocket Money Football At Fratton

Post by Earl Grey »

Sensible pricing - especially encouraging the kids, our future, to come.

Well done, Pompey.

Now for news on season ticket pricing.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

So this answer one of the questions on this board that matchday prices will be generally in line with League 2 average.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

From the Ashes wrote:Now for news on season ticket pricing.
From the above article, sounds like we might hear on Tuesday now?
The Beautiful Game
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by The Beautiful Game »

We want them to get the money from their paper round and use that to buy a ticket
Do kids still do paper rounds ? I haven't seen one around for years.
Last edited by The Beautiful Game on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
“To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"
JB Priestly 1929
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

Great news!

I have always thought Pompey should work more with schools in Portsmouth to get more kids at FP. this is a good way of doing it.
I am me, the universe and you.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

The Beautiful Game wrote:We want them to get the money from their paper round and use that to buy a ticket
Do kids still do paper rounds ? I haven't seen one around for years.
Yes, they do - both my oldest two sons have paper rounds.

Pompski! wrote:Great news!

I have always thought Pompey should work more with schools in Portsmouth to get more kids at FP. this is a good way of doing it.
NO NO NO!!!!!!

Don't work with schools, work with the local kids football clubs. What's the point of giving tickets to kids at schools who don't really like football? NONE! But contact the local clubs, and you know you're going to kids who love football.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

the_lock_man wrote:

NO NO NO!!!!!!

Don't work with schools, work with the local kids football clubs. What's the point of giving tickets to kids at schools who don't really like football? NONE! But contact the local clubs, and you know you're going to kids who love football.
Is giving tickets away solely what Pompski meant? There are more ways to work with schools than just giving tickets away. I do agree that rewarding local teams is a good method but what about those kids who love football but don't play for various reasons?
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Lost in Transportation wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:

NO NO NO!!!!!!

Is giving tickets away solely what Pompski meant? There are more ways to work with schools than just giving tickets away. I do agree that rewarding local teams is a good method but what about those kids who love football but don't play for various reasons?
I don't think the club needs to be giving away tickets, to clubs or schools, in fact I think it will be counter-productive - the club needs paying bums on seats. I think what would be a better idea would be for PFC to have "Club Season Tickets" - each individual club can buy a set of adjacents seats as a group, I would hope discounted a bit from standard ST price, which clubs can then either give or sell to their individual teams for individual games.

I have tweeted Micah (he follows one of my accounts @SouthCoast6) to ask whether he intends to engage with the local clubs.

Mind you, if juniors can go for £5, discounting any further would probably mean them paying us to go......

EDIT: Forgot to address your last point. WIth the major exception of those kids whose bodies are incapable of allowing them to play football, the number of kids who like the game, but don't play it, these days, is insignificant. There are so many clubs around, that there is always one that has a training session at a time when there is no clash with another activity.

I should also add that if PFC engages with the lads clubs, it could well stop the drop-off in participation. When we were at U9s, there were 6 divisions in our age group, now at U15, there's just 3. Boys are stopping playing, so they're more likely to be couch-potatoes, or indulging in ASB or drink/drugs. They may well stay around if they were likely to meet and be trained by the players.
Last edited by Locky_McLockface on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
the_lock_man wrote:

NO NO NO!!!!!!

No, giving tickets away is never good. What I meant is that a few players could go around the Pompey schools and give a little training session or talk or something to get kids thinking about football. Maybe take a video of the great escape or the cup/league wins and relate the club to the community a bit more.
Since we got into the prem, the club and the community have just been forced further and further apart IMHO. Now the club is owned by the community, the two should go hand in hand. Get Linvoy back (is he still with us?) and get the community part of the club at the heart of the club. Run competitions with schools to be mascots, give free FP tours to schools, be present at events like the southsea show, Albert Road day etc.

Sounds like the club is going in the right direction though and fair play to them! We need a new generation of fans to survive/grow.
I am me, the universe and you.
Mick Hill
Gary O'Neil

Post by Mick Hill »

Well I think that £20 fo a match ticket fo an Adult is too high for Div 2.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Pompski! wrote: No, giving tickets away is never good. What I meant is that a few players could go around the Pompey schools and give a little training session or talk or something to get kids thinking about football. Maybe take a video of the great escape or the cup/league wins and relate the club to the community a bit more.
Again, the point is that there is little point trying to engage the kids that couldn't give a damn about football.

But if those same players could go around the Pompey Youth Football League clubs and give a little training session or talk or something to get kids thinking about football, wouldn't that inspire them to be Pompey fans, not Chelski fans, or ManUre fans, Citeh fans, or Spuds fans? About half of my U15s are Pompey supporters, the rest support the usual suspects. Only 1 that I know of has a ST.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Mick Hill wrote:Well I think that £20 for a match ticket for an Adult is too high for Div 2.
That was my initial thought too. But after a quick scan of a few of the 'bigger' League Two clubs, it seems comparable.

Port Vale : £23
Southend : £19
Bradford : £20

Its still steep as a general figure, but I guess the club needs to generate revenue from somewhere.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Mick Hill
Gary O'Neil

Post by Mick Hill »

Well I for one will be choosing the games that I watch carefully at that price, but i will let me Son go to every game at £5 a time.
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

the_lock_man wrote:About half of my U15s are Pompey supporters, the rest support the usual suspects. Only 1 that I know of has a ST.
I'm quite surprised that that many are Pompey fans. When I was that age, I reckon only about 20% of my friends were Pompey fans, and only a handful went to most games.