Next season.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Next season.

Post by past memories »

It will be interesting to see QPR at Bournemouth next season.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Next season.

Post by eltorrro »

Why? Do you expect HR to still be in charge of QPR? Wouldn't bet on him still being there if a reasonable position materialises. Wet Spam maybe???? 8)
clairewanderingaimlessly
Peter Mellor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by clairewanderingaimlessly »

Well next season I shall get to see Pompey v Wycombe wanderers about 16 miles up the road from me, one thing for sure I wont be sitting with the Pompey fans I want to be able to see the match not the back of everyones head!
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

clairewanderingaimlessly wrote:Well next season I shall get to see Pompey v Wycombe wanderers about 16 miles up the road from me, one thing for sure I wont be sitting with the Pompey fans I want to be able to see the match not the back of everyones head!
Quite right too, Claire. Nasty rough boys. Best to stay well away from them.
clairewanderingaimlessly
Peter Mellor

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
clairewanderingaimlessly wrote:Well next season I shall get to see Pompey v Wycombe wanderers about 16 miles up the road from me, one thing for sure I wont be sitting with the Pompey fans I want to be able to see the match not the back of everyones head!

Well I cannot stand my knees hurt too much these days, yes I know getting old and all that and I want to see the match!
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

clairewanderingaimlessly wrote:
Ziggy Stardust wrote:

Well I cannot stand my knees hurt too much these days, yes I know getting old and all that and I want to see the match!
To much time spent on your knees Claire :?: ................
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
clairewanderingaimlessly
Peter Mellor

No Jasper sadly not, just getting old :(
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Claire, are you still moaning about your MK Dons experience :wink: :wink: :wink:
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

According to the Guardian, not many players have relegation clauses in their contracts. When will teams learn?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... ing-points

"At 11am on Monday, Tony Fernandes, the QPR owner, and manager Harry Redknapp are due to meet to discuss how to deal with the club's overpaid, underachieving playing squad, following their relegation. The good news is that QPR have six players out of contract. The bad news is that they happen to be among the lowest paid players at the club. The disastrous news is that QPR have 25 senior players who are under contract until 2014 and very few of them have relegation clauses. It is a calamitous situation and it is hard to have much, if any, sympathy with the club. Fernandes, to borrow a Redknapp phrase, has had his pants pulled down."
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Pompey Penguin wrote:According to the Guardian, not many players have relegation clauses in their contracts. When will teams learn?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... ing-points

"At 11am on Monday, Tony Fernandes, the QPR owner, and manager Harry Redknapp are due to meet to discuss how to deal with the club's overpaid, underachieving playing squad, following their relegation. The good news is that QPR have six players out of contract. The bad news is that they happen to be among the lowest paid players at the club. The disastrous news is that QPR have 25 senior players who are under contract until 2014 and very few of them have relegation clauses. It is a calamitous situation and it is hard to have much, if any, sympathy with the club. Fernandes, to borrow a Redknapp phrase, has had his pants pulled down."
Its not the teams, its the agents who have learned about the perils of relegation clauses. When teams are in trouble, they will do anything to get their man - and agents are insisting that relegation clauses are removed before signing.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

But that doesn't stop teams saying NO.

"Great Escapes" (PFC, WBA) are memorable because they rarely happen; throwing money at a team at the bottom of the PL is a fools game. Teams are better off taking the parachute payments, paying off the worst of their contracts and then trying again, rather than gambling on the Sambas of this world.

I admit it is different at the start of the season when managers are trying to build a team and the fans are both optimistic and demanding following promotion, but even then they shouldn't be risking the future of the club.

Clubs can moan all they like about agents, but until they stand up to them, the price and conditions for interchangeable mediocre players will remain overinflated.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

saw a post match interview with Clint Hill the QPR captain, moaning that the players that had got them up hadnt been given a fair crack of the whip to keep tham up. lots of expensive players brought in meaning they had to play and some of the "core" had not gotten games
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

There must be a fair few players in promotion-seeking clubs who are demotivated by the thought of being sold/benched if the club did go up.

"If I score this, I'm finished here...."
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

portchesterblue wrote:saw a post match interview with Clint Hill the QPR captain, moaning that the players that had got them up hadnt been given a fair crack of the whip to keep tham up. lots of expensive players brought in meaning they had to play and some of the "core" had not gotten games
I saw that interview - he didn't hide his frustration or disappointment in the slightest. He was in essence having a right pop!
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Selsey Bill wrote:
portchesterblue wrote:saw a post match interview with Clint Hill the QPR captain, moaning that the players that had got them up hadnt been given a fair crack of the whip to keep tham up. lots of expensive players brought in meaning they had to play and some of the "core" had not gotten games
I saw that interview - he didn't hide his frustration or disappointment in the slightest. He was in essence having a right pop![/quo

he certainly didnt pull any punches.
will be interesting to see if redknapp does stay. I think it will very much depend if Fernades is willing to bankroll a promotion push, which in redknapps case will be buying a whole new team