Gyepes & Racon won't be playing for Pompey next season

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Gyepes & Racon won't be playing for Pompey next season

Post by Selsey Bill »

According to Fratton Faithful: Gabor Gyepes and Therry Racon won't be playing for Pompey next season as they feel they can get better contracts elsewhere, good luck to them!
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Gyepes & Racon won't be playing for Pompey next season

Post by portchesterblue »

thanks for your help this season, and goodbye and goodluck
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

portchesterblue wrote:thanks for your help this season, and goodbye and goodluck
:thumb
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Shame about Racon. Thought he would have been a bit of a coup for League Two.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Weybridge wrote:Shame about Racon. Thought he would have been a bit of a coup for League Two.
£4k a week is too high to sustain.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Weybridge wrote:Shame about Racon. Thought he would have been a bit of a coup for League Two.
Is that what he was asking for? Not sure what the League Two average wage is, but £4k feels a bit steep.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

I agree, and he was getting better as the season went on. His partnership with Ninja Turtle was becoming a very good one. However, we must remember that he was 'playing for' a Championship side (Millwall) before he joined us so wages were always going to be an issue. I suspect there is an ego element with both these two as well? i.e. we're better than League 2
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Weybridge wrote:
Is that what he was asking for? Not sure what the League Two average wage is, but £4k feels a bit steep.
Around £750-800 a week. Likely to be a little lower next season as well for League 2. £4k would mean around 15% of the budget going to Racon alone.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Weybridge wrote:
Around £750-800 a week. Likely to be a little lower next season as well for League 2. £4k would mean around 15% of the budget going to Racon alone.
Does that mean our salary budget is about £1.4m? I heard on the radio yesterday that Yeovil's total annual wage bill is about £1m. If so, that shows what can be done, even in League 1. Funny old world when some of the superstars of the game are earning that in a month in the PL.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Found this while Googling:-

Salient parts are these. Where they are talking about "x times as much as...", they refer to "what players earned back in 1984-85".
According to the PFA document, the average annual basic salary in the Championship in 2009-10 was £211,068, in League One it was £73,320 and in League Two it was £38,844.

Those in the Championship earn only 14 times as much as their counterparts.

In League One the figure is six and a half times as much. In League Two the figure is 4.6 times as much.

The average working man earns about three times as much.
And as for the top division - you may need to sit down before reading this one:-
In 1984-85, according to the PFA’s data, the average basic wage in the First Division – as the top division was then called – was £24,934 a year, or about two and a half times the average working man’s salary. With bonuses, it would have been around £36,000, perhaps more.

In 2009-10, the average basic Premier League wage was £1.16m and the average take-home pay was £1.76m. (Average top-flight take-home pay was the subject of an article on this site earlier this year to mark 50 years since the end of the maximum wage).

Top division footballers now earn 46 times as much as they did in 1984-85
Weybridge wrote:
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

These two were always going to be unlikely signings.

Not too worried about Racon. For the "attacking" part of a central midfield pairing, he doesn't offer enough to justify the wages he is after. I never really saw him dominating games creatively. I would have no problem giving Wallace a chance there as I think he has a lot to offer playing behind two strikers, and we have other people who can play wide(-ish) right.

Geypes is harder as we will need a big solid CB in League Two, and I don't think Rocha/Sodje/Webster get it done against the type of teams we will face. However, I don't believe that it will be impossible to pick up that type of player once the season is over and players are out of contract from Leage One, Two or even the Conference.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Gyepes is aparantly heading back to Hungary where he can earn the same as we were offering, but without having to uproot his family
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Can't really blame any of them, IF they are better than League Two. It is a short career as a footballer, so where many will think they are greedy and for many £40k a year may sound a lot, it isn't if you can only work for say 15 years. If you are like Rocha and probably earned a lot of money earlier in your career, then it's not such a big thing, but for the majority of our squad who haven't had that luxury, they are fuilly justified (in my opinion) to get as much as they can, while they can. Even the jump in avg wages from League Two to League One (39k to 73k) is a huge difference. It is incredible though, that a Prem player will earn the avg annual League Two wage in two weeks (maybe even one week with bonuses)!

Oh yes, apparently those avg Premiership wages I quoted earlier are most likey to be 50%-100% increased with bonuses.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.