Can those with rose tinted glasses finally remove them

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Can those with rose tinted glasses finally remove them

Post by uspompeyfan »

I like Guy, we all do. He has been a great servant as a player and stuck with us through trying times. He is a goos ambassador...... but:

Even the most pessimistic believed middle table obscurity, but not this. Another relegation battle looming with the possibility of non league obscurity still on the cards. No you say, not after less than 10 games. But where do we call it for what it is?

Allain Perrin stayed till January and it almost cost us the Premiership. We are currently playing like a team bereft of ideas and below what we should be with the players we have. If they were still gelling we would be showing some improvement, but aside from a couple of individuals each game, we are going downhill - defeat today to a poor York team who haven't been able to buy a win was proof of our disastrous state.

Sadly I believe the time is sooner rather than later to end the managerial relationship with GW. Maybe an asst. role (because he was never fully behind taking the full time one really). We serve as a challenge for an inspired manager, ful of possibility and it a crowd fit to grace leagues better than this.

A manager is held responsible for the performance of the team. Coaching the fundamentals of the game is the key - we can't pass, we can't tackle, we can't shoot (as a team) and we can't defend. We have a keeper than can't hold on to the ball with a worse 'dropsie' record than most Sunday league teams. Teach the basics, everyday. John Wooden at UCLA won 10 National Championships doing that. We must be able to find a manager who knows how to do that at this standard.

Rant over.....now for UCLA football (I need a team that can win today)
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Far Post Brisley
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Can those with rose tinted glasses finally remove them

Post by Far Post Brisley »

I think that the primary difference is that if defensive organisation. Last season Andy Awford coached with Guy. He now has Alan Mcloughlin and recently David Connolly coaching, while Awford is back with younger players.

Is it over simplistic of me to assume that a former centre forward manager, with a former attacking midfielder and another forward as player/coach will not be as effective at drilling the defence about clearing lines, moving out as a unit, winning the first header, winning the second ball, jockeying to slow opponents attacking momentum. These are defensive tactics used in Sunday League but our side seem to struggle with them.

I would worry about any short term knee jerk sacking from the trust, but would encourage the signing up of a defensive coach! ..and then some basic coaching to our first team.

Other suggestions...
Only use Agyemang off the bench, away from home.
perhaps a landing of a subsidised loan goalkeeper.
"Oh, well, that's the end of this suit!"
Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Nuts »

Today aside My humble opinion is that any manager who sets his side up at home for a 0-0 draw like guy did last week, also having changed a team on a high from an away win the week before needs to go.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

The capitulation at York yesterday was a disaster waiting to happen - and I go back once again to the 'loss of hearts and minds'. Presently there is no cohesion or understanding among the team that Guy built. There are at least 8 players who simply are not good enough - including 2 useless GKs, Ertl, East, Bird, N' what's his name and 2 others in the midfield. They are totally rudderless and I'm afraid the message to GW is to fall on his sword before we really are in trouble.

The fans have been amazing as ever with their support both financial and in the Park. GW is a thoroughly decent man but a manager he ain't.......he is simply out of his depth. Bizarre substitutions, young players who did a job for us last year sent out on loan and the body language of defeat in the dug out. His journeymen side abuse the privilege of being called average and Guy simply does not have enough contacts to get some decent loan players in from the Prem or Championship.

I give you a comparison of 2 old clubs who play in blue - one of them is Pompey - Division 2 played 9 GD -4, points 9.....belief zero. Fan owned, the old lady Fratton safely back in the right hands and rescued from the gangsters and spivs of the last few years and the points deductions that saw us drop like a stone through the divisions. The other Coventry of the light blue persuasion, badly run and started the season at -10 points now in Division 1 played 8, GD +7, points 14 which means that they are now out of the relegation zone despite the deduction of points (home to Brentford) today. They have even less money than us, have given up the Ricoh stadium and share the use of Northampton's ground with a miserable 6.500 capacity. They have a mixture of youngsters and a few shrewd loans and a bright manager. Comparisons are allegedly odious but it shows what can be done on even tighter purse strings than us.

Guy - you're a lovely bloke. But you never wanted the job anyway and now you have it, you are proving that your first decision of doing a caretaker job was the best one. We will always thank you for that, but if you're the man I think you are, walk away from it while you still have the goodwill of the fans.......
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Bloomin' 'eck, P n C and I agree on something!!!!! :shock:
Farmers Boy
Kev the Kitman

Post by Farmers Boy »

uspompeyfan wrote:Bloomin' 'eck, P n C and I agree on something!!!!! :shock:

Whittingham's a goos(e) ambassador?
Well, he's no chicken but I suspect too many fowls will cost the club.
Don't Mistake Kindness For Weakness.
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

I don't understand why you're surprised the two of you share a viewpoint. Neither of you have seen a second of Pompey playing this season, yet you both feel qualified to judge what is going right and wrong. This is standard behaviour for you two - offering silly opinions without a shred of evidence. The two of you are peas in a pod.
Lindford Saint
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Lindford Saint »

uspompeyfan wrote:I like Guy, we all do. He has been a great servant as a player and stuck with us through trying times. He is a goos ambassador...... but:

Even the most pessimistic believed middle table obscurity, but not this. Another relegation battle looming with the possibility of non league obscurity still on the cards. No you say, not after less than 10 games. But where do we call it for what it is?

Allain Perrin stayed till January and it almost cost us the Premiership. We are currently playing like a team bereft of ideas and below what we should be with the players we have. If they were still gelling we would be showing some improvement, but aside from a couple of individuals each game, we are going downhill - defeat today to a poor York team who haven't been able to buy a win was proof of our disastrous state.

Sadly I believe the time is sooner rather than later to end the managerial relationship with GW. Maybe an asst. role (because he was never fully behind taking the full time one really). We serve as a challenge for an inspired manager, ful of possibility and it a crowd fit to grace leagues better than this.

A manager is held responsible for the performance of the team. Coaching the fundamentals of the game is the key - we can't pass, we can't tackle, we can't shoot (as a team) and we can't defend. We have a keeper than can't hold on to the ball with a worse 'dropsie' record than most Sunday league teams. Teach the basics, everyday. John Wooden at UCLA won 10 National Championships doing that. We must be able to find a manager who knows how to do that at this standard.

Rant over.....now for UCLA football (I need a team that can win today)
Trouble is though Damien IF you sack him can you afford to do so (doubt it very much) and IF you do who would want the job?
Paid to drink beer, lie on a beach, see the world and the Queen trusted me. Bargain!!!
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
I don't understand why you're surprised the two of you share a viewpoint. Neither of you have seen a second of Pompey playing this season, yet you both feel qualified to judge what is going right and wrong. This is standard behaviour for you two - offering silly opinions without a shred of evidence. The two of you are peas in a pod.
:thumb
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Sorry if that upsets you, dear boy - but the ludicrous statement that posters can only publish their opinion if they were actually at the match is totally preposterous. We make our judgements based on reports on here, relevent stats, radio and TV coverage. Our poster from the USA can scarcely be expected to cross the pond every other week and I attend away games if I'm not working. But neither of us are unique in passing criticism - many other posters pass their opinion as well, both those that go to games and those that don't. This is after, a forum designed for comment of every kind.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:
Sorry if that upsets you, dear boy - but the ludicrous statement that posters can only publish their opinion if they were actually at the match is totally preposterous. We make our judgements based on reports on here, relevent stats, radio and TV coverage. Our poster from the USA can scarcely be expected to cross the pond every other week and I attend away games if I'm not working. But neither of us are unique in passing criticism - many other posters pass their opinion as well, both those that go to games and those that don't. This is after, a forum designed for comment of every kind.
I would also add that listening to every minute of the season and watching the one televised game does provide an insight into the way the team is performing. The match day reports from various witnesses, especially Selsey Bill, often enhance the opinion gauged by what we have listened to.

Sadly, Miss Tickle Bottom seems to have a problem with people whose views differ from his own, as if he is always right on every subject he feels he has an opinion on. Anyone who differs from it, must be a 'Right wing looney' (IIRC his common accusation). Shutting down opposing opinion with ridicule and contempt seems to be a favored attitude from the left, but luckily, the world is made from all sorts and we live in countries, and view forums, that allow freedom of speech.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Lindford Saint wrote: Trouble is though Damien IF you sack him can you afford to do so (doubt it very much) and IF you do who would want the job?
If he has Pompey's best interest another solution can be found.
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

The problem is, Pomp, that you're not very good at actually taking in the evidence you're presented with, you tend to just change it to fit your view of the world. Like the way you imagined things about Ertl, for example. Oh, and how old was Nelson when he died?
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

uspompeyfan wrote:
I would also add that listening to every minute of the season and watching the one televised game does provide an insight into the way the team is performing. The match day reports from various witnesses, especially Selsey Bill, often enhance the opinion gauged by what we have listened to.

Sadly, Miss Tickle Bottom seems to have a problem with people whose views differ from his own, as if he is always right on every subject he feels he has an opinion on. Anyone who differs from it, must be a 'Right wing looney' (IIRC his common accusation). Shutting down opposing opinion with ridicule and contempt seems to be a favored attitude from the left, but luckily, the world is made from all sorts and we live in countries, and view forums, that allow freedom of speech.
You're just making things up about me now, which is a very weird defence. In football parlance, an own goal.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:You're just making things up about me now, which is a very weird defence. In football parlance, an own goal.
There are enough argumentative threads over the past months that disproves this statement.