Can those with rose tinted glasses finally remove them

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Re: Can those with rose tinted glasses finally remove them

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

uspompeyfan wrote:
blue architect wrote:I look through this thread for a discussion on how our beloved club is performing and what the opinion is regarding our form and manager.
All I see is a highjacked thread (and I dont mean Linny with his Matt Le Pish statement)
Please will the two(?) of you desist. Set up another thread to argue to finer points of religion, loonies, etc or better still PM each other so that we don't see your ranting.
I know that we are lucky to live in a free world with free speech and you guys are entitled to opinions, but please have some modesty and try to curb it.
I too am free to have my say and could, of course, opt out of looking at the thread or opt out of this board, which would be a shame for all
I note that some familiar posters are not on here anymore.....this could be why
In my defense, I started the thread as a football one and just defended comments made at me.
Matthew 5:39
If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

I knew those catechism classes would come in use one day!
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
uspompeyfan wrote:
blue architect wrote:I look through this thread for a discussion on how our beloved club is performing and what the opinion is regarding our form and manager.
All I see is a highjacked thread (and I dont mean Linny with his Matt Le Pish statement)
Please will the two(?) of you desist. Set up another thread to argue to finer points of religion, loonies, etc or better still PM each other so that we don't see your ranting.
I know that we are lucky to live in a free world with free speech and you guys are entitled to opinions, but please have some modesty and try to curb it.
I too am free to have my say and could, of course, opt out of looking at the thread or opt out of this board, which would be a shame for all
In my defense, I started the thread as a football one and just defended comments made at me.
Matthew 5:39

I knew those catechism classes would come in use one day!
Yes, but you need to take into consideration the whole chapter and understand the context with which it is written. This is a common verse used by non-believers. However, at the time, Jesus was discussing how believers should act against each other. As this is not the case in this instance, I stand by my comment.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
pompeypanther
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeypanther »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Matthew 5:39
Buckland 2013
If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, rip their legs off and beat them over the head with them. Then go looking for people called Peter File.
"When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail...."
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

Not another religious debate. :roll:
I thought we all agreed last time that the one and only god is Muhammed.
I am me, the universe and you.
The Beautiful Game
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by The Beautiful Game »

pompeypanther wrote:
Buckland 2013
If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, rip their legs off and beat them over the head with them. Then go looking for people called Peter File.
:rofl

Thanks Panther

Just brightened up what has so far been a **** morning
“To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"
JB Priestly 1929
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

The Beautiful Game wrote:
pompeypanther wrote:
Buckland 2013

Thanks Panther

But it's only 8.00am! Agree though - v funny.
The Beautiful Game
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by The Beautiful Game »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
The Beautiful Game wrote:
pompeypanther wrote:
Buckland 2013

Thanks Panther

But it's only 8.00am! Agree though - v funny.
I'm in Gosport this morning. Nuff said ?
“To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink"
JB Priestly 1929
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

I'm at my happiest having a rational conversation about football. My natural environment for this is a pub with a tasty pint in one hand leaving the other one free to point angrily at anyone who dares to disagree with me. Footballing discussions on the internet sadly lack the beer, but there's no need to abandon rational thought. I just happen to think that uspompeyfan and pomp managed to do this splendidly. For example:-
uspompeyfan wrote:...we can't pass, we can't tackle, we can't shoot (as a team) and we can't defend.
What sort of basis is this for a sensible discussion? The fact that this childish viewpoint is based on radio commentary which people who I trust have told me is unreliable at best - can't you see where I'm coming from? Anyway, just for you:-

Last Saturday was the first unacceptably poor performance, with no mitigating circumstances, this season. Guy deserves a chance to prove he can learn from this. The fixture list hasn't been particularly kind to us this season, particularly at home, and I suspect this has put us in a slightly false position. We have an easier run of games coming up and I expect us to pick up a lot more points, so I suspect we'll be around the fringes of the play-off positions by the end of this year. Amazingly, this is where most rational Pompey fans expected us to be. Naturally, I may well be wrong and results might not improve. If this does happen, Guy's position should come under serious consideration. But not now, that sets a very stupid precedent for a community-owned club.

Sorry for such a boring analysis, BA. Perhaps I should suggest that Barcham should be shot as punishment for his recent fall in performances?
schmindie
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by schmindie »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote: Anyway, just for you:-

Last Saturday was the first unacceptably poor performance, with no mitigating circumstances, this season. Guy deserves a chance to prove he can learn from this. The fixture list hasn't been particularly kind to us this season, particularly at home, and I suspect this has put us in a slightly false position. We have an easier run of games coming up and I expect us to pick up a lot more points, so I suspect we'll be around the fringes of the play-off positions by the end of this year. Amazingly, this is where most rational Pompey fans expected us to be. Naturally, I may well be wrong and results might not improve. If this does happen, Guy's position should come under serious consideration. But not now, that sets a very stupid precedent for a community-owned club.

Sorry for such a boring analysis, BA. Perhaps I should suggest that Barcham should be shot as punishment for his recent fall in performances?
I think this is pretty much spot on. I wonder how much of the current dissatisfaction stems from the fact that we've been playing good football pretty much throughout and have looked very close to 'clicking' as soon as we have. In a weird way I reckon if we'd lost the first three or four games and made a steady improvement from there then perhaps the criticisms (which seem far more amplified online compared to when I speak with people) would have been a bit less vociferous.
If you've got something left to say, you'd better say it now.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Lindford Saint wrote:
uspompeyfan wrote:
Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
uspompeyfan wrote:Look back at the many threads that argued Faith and the proof will be there.
No, I won't. It's your theory, so the onus is on you to provide the evidence. Otherwise people will think you're just making things up.

It's just like discussing the existence of gods, isn't it?
No, I only believe in one God.
Knew this would come back to Matt Le Tissier eventually :D
:thumb FAF.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote: Anyway, just for you:-

Thanks Tickle, Back to a footie thread and much appreciated.
Agree on all points, though the Barcham comment is a bit harsh. Crucifixion, first offence. (oh have in inadvertently brought religion back into the thread) 8)
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE