Goalkeeping shake up. Knight steps down & new loan signing

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Goalkeeping shake up. Knight steps down & new loan signing

Post by Claygate »

http://www.chichester.co.uk/sport/footb ... -1-5551247

Pompey are closing in on completing the loan signing of Bury goalkeeper Trevor Carson.

The 25-year-old is today set to join on a 93-day emergency loan deal to solve Guy Whittingham’s keeping headache.

The Blues boss has been looking for alternatives this week following John Sullivan’s mistakes in the humiliating 4-2 defeat at York last weekend.

In addition, there remain doubts over his deputy Phil Smith stepping in as a replacement having himself been consigned to the bench after a high-profile error at Mansfield in August.

As a result, former Ipswich stopper Arran Lee-Barrett spent two days training with Pompey earlier this week, only to depart on Tuesday.

Whittingham has instead decided to continue his search elsewhere in an attempt to bring in a new face in time for Rochdale’s visit on Saturday and Carson fits the bill.

The Northern Ireland under-21 international played for the Shakers as recently as Saturday in their 2-1 defeat at Dagenham & Redbridge.

He has been a regular for Pompey’s League Two rivals, initially spending two loan spells there before signing permanently from Sunderland in the summer of 2012.

Since then he has racked up 59 appearances – but now Pompey have stepped in.

Bury lie one point behind Whittingham’s side and have decided to go in a different direction with their goalkeeping situation.

Former Bolton trainee Robert Lainton made six appearances for Kevin Blackwell’s side earlier this season before being replaced by Carson.

The Gigg Lane outfit also have veteran Brian Jensen on their books after he joined initially on a short-term deal in September.

After considering their goalkeeping numbers and the chance to save money on the wage bill, they have been persuaded to allow Carson to make the Fratton Park switch.

It is a move made possible through chief executive Mark Catlin’s close ties with Bury, where he formerly worked and still has contacts.

And today Carson is expected to be at training with his new team-mates as the deal is pushed through.

He will then be considered for Rochdale, a match which represents a must-win for Whittingham’s side following their disappointing form of late.

They have also lost three of their previous four matches at Fratton Park.

That’s a run which supporters will expect to see ended this weekend.

Carson’s anticipated arrival will leave Whittingham with three goalkeepers in his small squad, another problem to negotiate.

However, he will seek to loan out either Smith or Sullivan to accommodate the new face in the ranks.

Smith signed a one-year deal in the summer, while Sullivan penned a two-year contract.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompe ... -1-5552454

Alan Knight has left his job as Pompey goalkeeping coach.

The Blues legend returned to the club in January following John Keeley’s decision to join Michael Appleton at Blackburn.

Initially staying until the end of the season, he became a permanent member of the backroom team following Guy Whittingham’s appointment as manager.

However, a Pompey reshuffle has seen Knight today leave the role.

He will now take up an ambassadorial position with the Blues.
Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Goalkeeping shake up. Knight steps down & new loan signi

Post by Mr Nuts »

So we are blaming all our shortcomings on the keepers then ?
pompeypanther
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeypanther »

I blame Griffin.
"When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail...."
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

And the striker Chris Dickson who we recently had down here on trial has signed for Dagenham & Redbridge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24381302
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Apparently, Phil Smith took goalie coaching today, in Knightsie's absence.

Two scenarios:-

(A) Knightsie is a carp goalie coach and has been shunted aside whilst trying not to embarass him too much.
(B) He genuinely is suffering from poor health (which isn't an unrealistic option), and this may explain to some extent our recent goalkeeping errors.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

Here's your answer, Lockie:-

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan Knight has stepped down as Pompey’s goalkeeping coach on health grounds.

But the Blues legend – who was awarded the MBE in 2001 – will stay at Fratton Park in an ambassadorial role.

Knight said: “I have made this decision because I need to get some hip and knee problems sorted.

“But I’m grateful that the club have found a new position for me and I can’t wait to get started.”

Knight made 801 appearances for Pompey during his playing days, staying at the club in a coaching role before spells in America and with Bournemouth, Dorchester, Havant & Waterlooville, Horndean and Aldershot.

He then returned to Fratton Park as goalkeeping coach following John Keeley’s departure to Blackburn in January.

Read more at http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/arti ... 53zl2BY.99
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

And ,as well , Smith may see that Trevor Carson's impending arrival will shunt him down to 3rd in line for the shirt and that coaching may be a better way forward for him than clinging onto any notion of returning to the starting line up anytime soon.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:Here's your answer, Lockie:-

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan Knight has stepped down as Pompey’s goalkeeping coach on health grounds.

But the Blues legend – who was awarded the MBE in 2001 – will stay at Fratton Park in an ambassadorial role.

Knight said: “I have made this decision because I need to get some hip and knee problems sorted.

“But I’m grateful that the club have found a new position for me and I can’t wait to get started.”

Knight made 801 appearances for Pompey during his playing days, staying at the club in a coaching role before spells in America and with Bournemouth, Dorchester, Havant & Waterlooville, Horndean and Aldershot.

He then returned to Fratton Park as goalkeeping coach following John Keeley’s departure to Blackburn in January.

Read more at http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/arti ... 53zl2BY.99
Now, ya see, MTB, I don't necessarily believe everything that I read in the Snooze. Or any newspaper for that matter. If one wanted to remove an underperforming colleague from a key position within an organisation, but where that underperforming colleague had something of a hero status with the customers of that organisation, would you:-

(A) Say "You're carp, don't bother coming in tomorrow, you useless waste of space"
or (B) Find said hero an alternative role within the organisation where his underperformance was not so, er, noticeable.

Now, the heroic Mr Knight may genuinely be suffering an illness, or alternatively Guy might be wanting someone different to coach the goalies.

Since they haven't appointed a new goalie coach, it may well be a genuine illness.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

I understand your cynicism fully (this is Pompey, after all!), I just think the direct quotes from the man himself lend the explanation an air of plausibility. I'm just glad that he was gone as he has always struck me as a very stupid human being and i kind of like the idea of Pompey employing bright people whenever possible.
Saying that, I'll never forget some of his breathtaking saves for us in grim northern outposts back in the day - here's hoping that he hasn't spent all his money on lager and can afford a comfortable retirement.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:I understand your cynicism fully (this is Pompey, after all!), I just think the direct quotes from the man himself lend the explanation an air of plausibility. I'm just glad that he was gone as he has always struck me as a very stupid human being and i kind of like the idea of Pompey employing bright people whenever possible.
Saying that, I'll never forget some of his breathtaking saves for us in grim northern outposts back in the day - here's hoping that he hasn't spent all his money on lager and can afford a comfortable retirement.
I once served him in my shop, jolly nice chap. I agree wholeheartedly with your closing sentiments.
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Also, my link and cut-and-paste was from the official site, not The News. Surely we can expect the truth from the new PFC...
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:Also, my link and cut-and-paste was from the official site, not The News. Surely we can expect the truth from the new PFC...
*cough cough* Yes, of course we can.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Well, now we have the official denial....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompe ... -1-5557180
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

the_lock_man wrote:Well, now we have the official denial....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompe ... -1-5557180
Yep, looks like your cynicism was fully justified. Feel free to call me Mr Naive!
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

[youtube][/youtube]
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.