OT - What would YOU call your pineapple?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

OT - What would YOU call your pineapple?

Post by Earl Grey »

A year ago in Reading Uni the Atheist Society got into trouble by having a stall at a Freshers' Fayre with a pineapple on it with a label saying "Muhammad"
http://freethoughtblogs.com/godlessness ... -muhammad/

Now the LSE is suffering similar problems. I'm not sure their Mo and JC T-shirt did them any favours with some students...

http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2013/ ... e-t-shirts

I think we have a serious issue here regarding blasphemy laws, apparently repealed in the UK but still effectively in action.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: OT - What would YOU call your pineapple?

Post by Pompski! »

Blasphemy is a strange entity really. It's like blackmailing the invisible man. Insulting someone, effectively by-proxy, is not really something that can stand up in a court of law, nor should it. But nor should it really offend. It's all about belief after all. If you want to believe in something that others will ridicule it's up to you. It happens to Nessie spotters, UFOlogists and clairvoyants across the world so why should religious people be exempt? If I believed my penis was a talking banana you'd all take the ****. If a million people believed it, all of a sudden there would be this offense-by-numbers scenario.

These T-shirts are only like taking the **** out of an opposing football team really. Scummers hold MLT as their god and Pompey fans don't. Deal with it.
I am me, the universe and you.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompski! wrote: These T-shirts are only like taking the **** out of an opposing football team really. .... Deal with it.
I agree with you, Pompski.

Problem is I found myself too scared, yes...that's right, too concerned about my safety to embed the image of JC and Mo having a pint together into my post as a separate image. I preferred to just offer the link to a page with the image.

Now that says something about radical nutters when you are so worried that you'll be traced you don't reproduce an image in a post.

Anyone out there brave enough to do it?
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham

Post by Pompski! »

It's OK to post that image. It'll be Rubi who has to answer the door to some relgious extremists if they trace the IP address! :lol:

Anyway, this is the site of the comic strip that spawned the T-shirt: http://www.jesusandmo.net/ Some funny, some not so funny but if anyone's going to get killed, whoever this site belongs to will be first.
I am all for freedom of speech and asking questions of religion but I think some of the T-shirts on the site may well provoke some racial hatred. You'd have to have balls to wear a couple of those shirts on the streets of London for sure.
BaffinsBlue
Kev the Kitman

Post by BaffinsBlue »

Pompski! wrote:It's OK to post that image. It'll be Rubi who has to answer the door to some relgious extremists if they trace the IP address! :lol:

Anyway, this is the site of the comic strip that spawned the T-shirt: http://www.jesusandmo.net/ Some funny, some not so funny but if anyone's going to get killed, whoever this site belongs to will be first.
I am all for freedom of speech and asking questions of religion but I think some of the T-shirts on the site may well provoke some racial hatred. You'd have to have balls to wear a couple of those shirts on the streets of London for sure.
If you look at the first cartoon on that site you will see that it is not Mohammed that is depicted, it is a body double.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Pompski, for the record, I agree with you.

There are many images that people find offensive, but they don't have to look. I wear Christian shirts that others may not appreciate, likewise I won't be offended by those that other people wear. To me it comes under being judgmental and that in and of itself is wrong.

If we keep considering what is wrong with life, we miss everything that is good about it.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham

Post by Pompski! »

uspompeyfan wrote:Pompski, for the record, I agree with you.

There are many images that people find offensive, but they don't have to look. I wear Christian shirts that others may not appreciate, likewise I won't be offended by those that other people wear. To me it comes under being judgmental and that in and of itself is wrong.

If we keep considering what is wrong with life, we miss everything that is good about it.
Amen brother. :thumb