Team v York

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Team v York

Post by richisbradders »

Yup, 1st game away against top of the league too.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Sounds like we at least gave it a go today though. Just a shame we haven't done so more often.

22nd, three points above Northampton and we still have to go there. It's going to be a tense month or so.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

How about be beg on hands and knees for connoley to come back, he scored the winner last night for oxford.
BaffinsBlue
Kev the Kitman

Post by BaffinsBlue »

WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey wrote:Controversial decision, but once again, ref surrounded by the opposition baying for the red, (sounds just like Ertl's v Oxford in our 1st match). I like Chorley too, will miss him.
Nothing controversial about it, Chorley stamped on their player's foot.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

BaffinsBlue wrote:Nothing controversial about it, Chorley stamped on their player's foot.
As Arsene says: "I didn't see it" Baff. Going from the armchair fan position. So it was a deliberate (& nasty) bit of play? Very disappointing then - especially from our skipper.
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

No-one around us (NSL about 15 yds from the incident) saw a red card coming. It looked more like obstruction to me. Chorley definitely got between the man and the ball and physically stopped him playing it, but I didn't see any foot stamping. York players were constantly on at the ref about any incident. There was a long discussion between Chorley and the ref in which Chorley was clearly telling him he had turned away from their player, then suddenly the red appeared. A truly bizarre decision.

However, the sending off didn't change the result in my opinion. If anything, we played better with 10 men until the double substitution, after which we lost our momentum.
Lindford Saint
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Lindford Saint »

richisbradders wrote:How about be beg on hands and knees for connoley to come back, he scored the winner last night for oxford.
Why would he want to come back? The football genius that is Richie Barker made it clear he did not want DC around despite being the best player in the squad, the one with the most experience and who had been doing an OK job with coaching. But no, RB said on your bike. Reap what you sow.
Paid to drink beer, lie on a beach, see the world and the Queen trusted me. Bargain!!!
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Still can't see the sending off. Here's the sending off rule:

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:
• serious foul play
• violent conduct
• spitting at an opponent or any other person
• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
• denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
• using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
• receiving a second caution in the same match

Did anyone see Chorley's challenge as serious foul play? I can only assume that his challenge on the bloke that Fletcher replaced was taken into account, but as that was not carded, it doesn't make the second foul warrant a red.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

<dj.> wrote:
Did anyone see Chorley's challenge as serious foul play? I can only assume that his challenge on the bloke that Fletcher replaced was taken into account, but as that was not carded, it doesn't make the second foul warrant a red.
Well, this incident took place right in front of us and I instantly turned to my eldest and said I reckon that could be a red. He thought it was 50:50, and the bloke the other side of me thought their player backed into Chorley. From where I was sat it was a horrible challenge and Chorley got what he deserved in my opinion. Whilst our fans gave their player loads of abuse for supposedly play acting, you could tell it did actually injure him and he didn't play a further part in the match. It was their skipper Penn (?) who I was booing as he was in the ref's face from the moment their player went down. Interestingly, the red card was circular, haven't seen one of those at Fratton before. Anyway, this is our third captain to be red carded this season. Ertl was plain unlucky, but both Connolly and Chorley were plain stupid and irresponsible. So, one of our most influential players now misses our next three games - not great timing :(