Barker gone

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Far Post Brisley
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Barker gone

Post by Far Post Brisley »

It would be ridiculous if the club sacked Barker now!

Fans need to understand the difference between limited players putting effort in and not succeeding and highly paid established players not putting effort in and not succeeding.

This is our bed, we must lie on it. The summer recruitment was flawed and it appears by the overuse of the then physio's contacts book, we got in players who so long as they didn't get injured would keep us up and prospering. The physicality of League 2 coupled with the amazing amount of cynical gamesmanship on display from teams at Fratton and in the couple of away games I have attended, had made me and others question our investment. Whittingham and Awford last season became Whittingham and no defensive organisation this season. Then came Barker and with a level of query about exactly what Coppell's role is. The defence looked much safer, with a couple of specific exceptions.
The midfield creativity dried up, attackers lost confidence.
I am occasionally puzzled by Barkers decisions at the time but he is I think being unfairly judged on a crop of limited players who lack confidence. Playing poorly in front of 3000 can be difficult but in front of 12000-18000 takes a very different mindset, to recover from a mistake.

Noticeably, Ferry, Barcham, Holmes and Wallace all have disappeared for 10 minute periods this season after a mistake and a collective groan from half the crowd.

Look at the teams we are losing to. Mainly English men in their 20s battling to play professional football, with the very occasional special goal/talent. Look at our squad, most have played at a higher level, and are on their way down. I think Bird could have been used more by Barker, he was very effective away to Southend. It was not to be. If Pompey stay up, which I feel sure they should, is the solution to bring in lots of players who we have all heard of when they "played 4 games for Wolves once" or should we look for combinations of younger fitter players who want to thrive.

Let the Manager manage!
"Oh, well, that's the end of this suit!"
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Personally, I think the question the board should be asking themselves is whether they still feel Barker is the right man to take the club forward (that is after all why he was appointed), be that in League 2 next season or indeed in the Conference if the unthinkable should happen. If so, and the board give him the vote of confidence to continue irrespective of what happens for the rest of this season, then it removes any uncertainty and the fans will know they have to get behind him and the team for the next 8 games at least.

If not, why wait until the end of the season to make that decision? Surely, far better to give whoever they entrust with that task a few matches to look at the squad and make up their mind as to who deserves a chance to wear the shirt next season.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:Personally, I think the question the board should be asking themselves is whether they still feel Barker is the right man to take the club forward (that is after all why he was appointed), be that in League 2 next season or indeed in the Conference if the unthinkable should happen. If so, and the board give him the vote of confidence to continue irrespective of what happens for the rest of this season, then it removes any uncertainty and the fans will know they have to get behind him and the team for the next 8 games at least.

If not, why wait until the end of the season to make that decision? Surely, far better to give whoever they entrust with that task a few matches to look at the squad and make up their mind as to who deserves a chance to wear the shirt next season.
What credientials do the board have to pick the manager though? With no disrespect meant to any of them, they are fans albeit slighlty more weathly fans. If Westwoods bookshop made more money it could have been him picking the next manager based on who's name fitted best in to the songs!

I've never really understood how a manager is picked in football. I beleive the club needs to decide the way it wants to go and work towards that, thus employing a staff on the football side that buy into that vision and have the skills to carry out that task. Otherwise we move from manager to manager, style to style and the rotating door of players and staff continues.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Pompey1985 wrote:What credientials do the board have to pick the manager though? With no disrespect meant to any of them, they are fans albeit slighlty more weathly fans. If Westwoods bookshop made more money it could have been him picking the next manager based on who's name fitted best in to the songs!

I've never really understood how a manager is picked in football. I beleive the club needs to decide the way it wants to go and work towards that, thus employing a staff on the football side that buy into that vision and have the skills to carry out that task. Otherwise we move from manager to manager, style to style and the rotating door of players and staff continues.
I assume the board would seek the views, opinions and guidance of people who have been there, done it and got the t-shirt. Having said that, one thing about football management is that a candidate's record will be there for all to see.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: I assume the board would seek the views, opinions and guidance of people who have been there, done it and got the t-shirt. Having said that, one thing about football management is that a candidate's record will be there for all to see.
Comparing records doesnt paint the whole picture though.

I fully beleive we need to decide how we want to play the game and run the club e.g. do we want to paly an certain way and bring our youngsters though in which case we need a manager who will work with what we have got. Or do you go for the harry approach of buy enough players to make sure you can get a good 11 out of them.

Personally I beleive we need somewhere in the middle where we define 'The Portsmouth Way' and build a coaching staff and side around that, we then recruit to fit into that. I know its far from straightforward and takes time but we are starting at the bottom... why not aim for the stars?
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Pompey1985 wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote: I assume the board would seek the views, opinions and guidance of people who have been there, done it and got the t-shirt. Having said that, one thing about football management is that a candidate's record will be there for all to see.

I fully beleive we need to decide how we want to play the game and run the club e.g. do we want to paly an certain way and bring our youngsters though in which case we need a manager who will work with what we have got. Or do you go for the harry approach of buy enough players to make sure you can get a good 11 out of them.

Personally I beleive we need somewhere in the middle where we define 'The Portsmouth Way' and build a coaching staff and side around that, we then recruit to fit into that. I know its far from straightforward and takes time but we are starting at the bottom... why not aim for the stars?
I agree, and if the board adopt such a vision and effectively communicate their aims to the fans (and shareholders) I'm sure most would applaud such an approach.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:

I agree with you. If we do drop into the conference, I really hope we play the likes of Whatmough, Wallace, Webster, Harris, Maloney, Awford, Butler, Bird and Tarbuck, with a few older heads around them. The problem we may have, of course, would be keeping hold of some of them in an even lower league. For example, judging from what I have seen of him, Whatmough will play in at least the championship, or possibly even the premiership one day.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Selsey Bill wrote:
I agree with you. If we do drop into the conference, I really hope we play the likes of Whatmough, Wallace, Webster, Harris, Maloney, Awford, Butler, Bird and Tarbuck, with a few older heads around them. The problem we may have, of course, would be keeping hold of some of them in an even lower league. For example, judging from what I have seen of him, Whatmough will play in at least the championship, or possibly even the premiership one day.
I beleive the key is finding the right balance of youth and experiance (not always older players but players who have played at the level we are playing). We must stay up this season, we just have to. If we can manage it we (the club) need to put in some serious work over the summer to sort out the entire footballing side of the business including staff, traning facilitieis, recruitment and i personally beleive this will require getting somone with this sort of knowledge on board and if that means paying them we must just pay them. Football is the business you cant do that side of the business on the cheap.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I think there were two major failings of the appointment of Barker by the board.
Is it fair to assume they were seduced by the idea of Coppell as part of the package, I think it is.
Secondly it seems that no one during the interview process did background checks or even asked him what his footballing philosophy was. He came from Crawley where they didn't muster a goal in 6 games, so the portents weren't good.
I dont blame them as such, human failings & all that. But I bet next time whenever that it is they will pay far more attention to the details that really matter. For me, I've never been so bored @ FP in all my time watching Pompey, going on 47yrs.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
The reason for not sacking the manager now is simple: what message does this send out to the fans and to the other teams in Division 2? That Portsmouth Football Club has given up trying this season to stay in the Football League this season.

I cannot think of a quicker way of ensuring that we drop to the Conference Division.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Milton End wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote:
The reason for not sacking the manager now is simple: what message does this send out to the fans and to the other teams in Division 2? That Portsmouth Football Club has given up trying this season to stay in the Football League this season.

I cannot think of a quicker way of ensuring that we drop to the Conference Division.
That's one way of looking at it. The other is that it MIGHT be the spark that inspires players who've been slated repeatedly (and perhaps de-motivated) by Barker to think maybe they have a chance to prove to a new boss that they're worth a new contract.

As I said however, what I believe is needed is a decisive lead from the board - either back him or sack him.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

Pompey1985 wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:
I beleive the key is finding the right balance of youth and experiance (not always older players but players who have played at the level we are playing). We must stay up this season, we just have to. If we can manage it we (the club) need to put in some serious work over the summer to sort out the entire footballing side of the business including staff, traning facilitieis, recruitment and i personally beleive this will require getting somone with this sort of knowledge on board and if that means paying them we must just pay them. Football is the business you cant do that side of the business on the cheap.
But 85 is that not what we all expected Coppell to be doing?
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I thinkits naive to expect the helper (coppell) to be doing it. You can't built a football club from pretty much scratch on goodwill and non contract basis.

He was clear that his role wasnt DoF he was clear it was the same as his role at Crawley which was....?
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: - either back him or sack him.
....or crack him........hang on, this is sounding like a treatment for unwanted-hair removal!
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

From the Ashes wrote:
No Shot Sherlock wrote: - either back him or sack him.
....or crack him........hang on, this is sounding like a treatment for unwanted-hair removal!
Nah, more a case of heir removal :wink: