Pomp and his stats

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Pomp and his stats

Post by portchesterblue »

so for a second week the stats have been in our favour, and in this game heavily in our favour, yet the result wasn't. so where is pomp saying the reason we lost is all in the stats ??? conspicuous by his absence !!!! Whats up pomp stats not telling the story you want them too or have you become your obsession a hologram!!!!!?????????
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Re: Pomp and his stats

Post by Pompey Gary »

portchesterblue wrote:so for a second week the stats have been in our favour, and in this game heavily in our favour, yet the result wasn't. so where is pomp saying the reason we lost is all in the stats ??? conspicuous by his absence !!!! Whats up pomp stats not telling the story you want them too or have you become your obsession a hologram!!!!!?????????
Stats aside, the general tone of Pomp's posts have been to slag Barker and co off and I'm afraid on that count he's getting more ammunition as the weeks go by.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Never was there a truer quote than:

'There are three kinds of lies - lies, damn lies and statistics!' (Mark Twain) 8)
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

eltorrro wrote:Never was there a truer quote than:

'There are three kinds of lies - lies, damn lies and statistics!' (Mark Twain) 8)
And I thought the three were; the press, liberals and Barker :wink: :twisted:
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

portchesterblue wrote:so for a second week the stats have been in our favour, and in this game heavily in our favour, yet the result wasn't. so where is pomp saying the reason we lost is all in the stats ??? conspicuous by his absence !!!! Whats up pomp stats not telling the story you want them too or have you become your obsession a hologram!!!!!?????????
Been saying this for weeks. However, we're still well and truly up sh*t creek without a paddle so I'm sure he's happy 8)
Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Nuts »

It all counts for nothing if you don't get the 3 points and TBH I can't see where they're going to come from. People have become disillusioned and seem to be constantly making excuses for barker . So much so I've felt the need to point out the obvious .
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

I don't think Pomp has been saying we lost games because of the stats, he (and I) have been saying that the stats suggest that the team has not been creating goal scoring chances/attempts and that you can't win games if you don't make such chances.

Yesterday's stats suggest we created more chances than we'd done in many (any?) of our previous dozen games. Okay, stats alone don't paint the full picture, I don't think any of us believe that, and of course they don't alone show whether the chances created were screamers that were kept out by an inspired goalkeeping performance or powder-puff shots from 20 yards that barely had enough power to reach the keeper. However, having one shot (off target) in 45 minutes of football (which I think has happened more than once recently) is a pretty conclusive indication that the team are failing to threaten the opposition goal.

As I said yesterday, the stats suggested we gave it a good go. Possession, shot (on and off target) and corner counts were all in our favour, but someone said it didn't look like we'd score if we played for another two hours. Well maybe not, but at least we didn't just sit back and try to defend a 0-1 defeat. Trouble is, we should have been 'giving it a good go' against the likes of Torquay, Northampton, Mansfield, etc.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

We matched Fleetwood and bettered chesterfield in the shots stats.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Pompey1985 wrote:We matched Fleetwood and bettered chesterfield in the shots stats.
I rest my case.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Been saying this for weeks. However, we're still well and truly up sh*t creek without a paddle so I'm sure he's happy 8)
No one's happy about our plight - but there's an increasing number of fans who are coming to the conclusion that Barker isn't the answer.

I'm sure I speak for Pomp and No Shot (and myself, of course) when I say we'd much rather have been wrong all this time about Barker and that he'd suddenly found the formula and we'd ended up in the play-offs.

But when you set your stall out to get 0-0 draws to the end of the season then alarm bells start to ring - and should've been ringing loud and clear for everyone else.

However, the York match was the most encouraging performance so far (maybe apart from Chesterfield away) so I'm still praying we're going to get over the line.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Does he set his sidesout so as not to get beaten though?: if this was the case surely he would have stuck to the 451 formation.

I don't necessarily think Barker is the man for the job, but he is who we ha e and k don't think he sets his teams out not to lose, certainly not in recent weeks when we have gone 442 etc... I just think he has problem (creating chances) which he has tried to address (fogden, lad from brentford , McCabe and different formations) none of which has worked. I honestly think he just doesn't know what else to try and I'm not sure there is much else to try.

I feel for the bloke I do, I don't think he is some sort of woeful manager I don't think he has been too hard on the players. I just think he has been dealt a fairly duff hand which he has tried to change and by and large everyone he has bought in has been better than the man they rep!aced and performances have improved he just can't get a run going, not that we managed that for years now (other than a losing one).
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:We matched Fleetwood and bettered chesterfield in the shots stats.
I rest my case.
and because those stats dont stack up with his little whinges he doesnt post. I am sure if the next game the stats are against us he will be back spouting stats out of his derriere
pompeymick
Martin Kuhl

Post by pompeymick »

The stats that really matter are the amount of times our players have turned out for the Club, the York team had amassed 55 starts from their starting eleven in the last five matches alone, whereas Pompey's starting eleven had appeared 156 times for the time this season of 44 games so far, if you take out Carson, N'Gala & Wallace the remaining 8 players have turned out for Pompey this season (not always together ) a measly 65 times, that is by far the biggest reason for our team's abject performances this season. No one knows, including the Manager, who will play next week. To put players in teams when they barely know their team mates names has been and will continue to be a recipe for disaster, it's time for Barker to put his faith in a starting eleven and stick with it for the rest of the season to try and get a bit of cohesion, if not then be prepared for the inevitable.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

pompeymick wrote:The stats that really matter are the amount of times our players have turned out for the Club, the York team had amassed 55 starts from their starting eleven in the last five matches alone, whereas Pompey's starting eleven had appeared 156 times for the time this season of 44 games so far, if you take out Carson, N'Gala & Wallace the remaining 8 players have turned out for Pompey this season (not always together ) a measly 65 times, that is by far the biggest reason for our team's abject performances this season. No one knows, including the Manager, who will play next week. To put players in teams when they barely know their team mates names has been and will continue to be a recipe for disaster, it's time for Barker to put his faith in a starting eleven and stick with it for the rest of the season to try and get a bit of cohesion, if not then be prepared for the inevitable.
Good point, and one with which I agree. This hasn't been helped by having a bunch of sick notes in our squad, and now an ill-disciplined skipper.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

I think he's just run out of dances.

Obviously been too long since Strictly was last on the box...