Ebola!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Ebola!

Post by Pompey1985 »

This Time Next Year wrote:
What my grandad used to say... "What this world needs is a good war"

...We seem to be heading that way too (though when are we not?) - Hmmm, deep.

[youtube][/youtube]
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:I think this is how the world in its current form will end.
When you really think about it, most all current problems.....let me reel off a few......global climate, famine, overfishing, deforestation, poverty.....I could go on......but most all can be traced back to one issue.
There are too many of us.

It's not at all far fetched imo to forsee that some mad biology genius will come up with something to cull the population down a bit, a lot even.
Maybe, but then I would say the reverse is more likely. A mad biology genius will come up with a cure. Look at Lister, Jenner, Fleming etc. Crazy leftfield cures for global killers.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Well, I was a little off in my prediction of 2 weeks. It took 2 months....but the first case has arrived here.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

Ebola has hit the big time!
I am me, the universe and you.
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

First case of contagion outside of Africa. A Spanish nurse who treated an infected Spanish priest who died nearly 2 weeks ago.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

We in the US are supposed to be ready and yet the poor dude in TX told the hospital he'd been in W. Africa.....and they sent him home with antibiotics!
Then when he goes back and the case is confirmed it takes days to even think about decontaminating the apt he was staying in.

There are 3 things you can count on with this sort of thing.

1: People in the front lines will not do their jobs properly. Apparently, airport staff are responsible for pulling aside suspected cases and in some cases, confirm fever by taking temperature.....really? So if you are Johnny Airport Dude and you see a sweaty sneezing dude, how excited are you about pulling that individual aside and getting in close contact?
2: Govt. is incompetent
3: Govt. will lie

We should not be letting anyone in with a passport or a visa stamp from those countries, or, if they do get in....compulsory quarantine... but I suppose that's not pc!
By the time that step becomes necessary it'll be too late.
Div III. Call it what it is.
miltoninLA
Kev the Kitman

Post by miltoninLA »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:

1: People in the front lines will not do their jobs properly. Apparently, airport staff are responsible for pulling aside suspected cases and in some cases, confirm fever by taking temperature.....really? So if you are Johnny Airport Dude and you see a sweaty sneezing dude, how excited are you about pulling that individual aside and getting in close contact?
3: Govt. will lie.
Four things Cinci,
4. The NFL will feck it up.

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:We in the US are supposed to be ready and yet the poor dude in TX told the hospital he'd been in W. Africa.....and they sent him home with antibiotics!
Then when he goes back and the case is confirmed it takes days to even think about decontaminating the apt he was staying in.

3: Govt. will lie

We should not be letting anyone in with a passport or a visa stamp from those countries, or, if they do get in....compulsory quarantine... but I suppose that's not pc!
By the time that step becomes necessary it'll be too late.
apparently his family found him in bed very ill , called an ambulance and he vomited outside on the way to the ambulance, turns out he has ebola (surprise really when he'd just come back from Liberia) so what did the authorities do , they used the ambulance for another 2 days before it was cleaned, they cleaned up the street 3 days later and they quaranteened his family - where I hear you say , in the house he got sick in!!
Complete systemic failure, my guess is he doesn't have much money
just blue
Milan Mandaric

Post by just blue »

US Ebola patient Thomas Duncan dies in hospital.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29543956
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

Someone tell me how sending 750 troops to help Ebola in Sierra Leone, will help. To me that`s 750 more ways to get it here.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Can't help but think people should be screened on arrival certainly those who have visited the infected areas in the last 6 weeks or so.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Pompey1985 wrote:Can't help but think people should be screened on arrival certainly those who have visited the infected areas in the last 6 weeks or so.
Reasonable, but doesn't incubation take up to three weeks to show signs?

Why not separate anyone arriving from the area, understand where they visited, and if it was an infected area and they have due cause, then isolate them for a period.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

past memories wrote:Someone tell me how sending 750 troops to help Ebola in Sierra Leone, will help. To me that`s 750 more ways to get it here.
The military can built camps and set up the logistical side very quickly and effectively. They can act as crowd control too. I didn't think they were on the front line and healing the infected ones.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

uspompeyfan wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:Can't help but think people should be screened on arrival certainly those who have visited the infected areas in the last 6 weeks or so.
Reasonable, but doesn't incubation take up to three weeks to show signs?

Why not separate anyone arriving from the area, understand where they visited, and if it was an infected area and they have due cause, then isolate them for a period.
That's true. Perhaps you have to isolate everyone travelignf from the infected region for 3 weeks. If nobody from that flight shows synpons there free to go.

I honestly think its getting to the stage it needs drastic action.

I think its the event that has concerned me most since I've been alive.