Ebola!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Ebola!

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Here's how unprepared out govts are for the monumental task ahead.

I bloke.....1 single infected dude has infected 2 others (at least). The authorities have been forced to now monitor well over 100 people that have had contact. 2 apt complexes are in virtual lockdown. And btw....note that those considered at risk are being "monitored" and not quarantined. Healthcare worker number 2 took a plane flight last week!
How tf do you let a monitored individual who was taking care of an ebola patient after another healthcare worker has been infected, take a plane flight!?
Now we shall have to track down a further 130 people on the plane and god knows how many airport staff/cab drivers etc etc.

Govt / authorities are incompetent
Div III. Call it what it is.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

oh wait....make that 2 flights....another 200 peeps to track.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Why do they just monitor them and not confine them to their hones and check on them daily in the full suits assuming they are infected?
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Pompey1985 wrote:Why do they just monitor them and not confine them to their hones and check on them daily in the full suits assuming they are infected?
Kid's Rule 2: Govts are incompetent!
Monies should have been set aside to compensate quarantined folks, health workers in contact should be paid extra and isolated at the hospital whilst off duty.
But democracies are slow to act and we are one step behind every turn of events.
Nurses at the TX hospital are now ragging to the press about improper protocols.

The hospital has completely dropped the ball, the CDC has severely fumbled.
As the cost of tracking/monitoring 100's mounts, all from 1 person, still no Western govt has banned entry or set compulsory quarantines up at points of entry.

I'll tell you exactly what the next govt step will be in US/UK.....there will be meetings, a press conference and new, stronger measures will be enacted....but they will fall short of compulsory quarantines.
Always reacting instead of acting. Always 1 step behind.
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

If one really wants to keep it in control, one needs to start at the departure point, not the destination.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

As I said earlier the countries involved should have no outbound flights until things are brought under control, seems ludicrous to me that outbound flights are still leaving & putting thousands, possibly millions across the globe @ risk.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Unless of course, it is all planned. eerie twilight zone type music in background
pompeygunner wrote:As I said earlier the countries involved should have no outbound flights until things are brought under control, seems ludicrous to me that outbound flights are still leaving & putting thousands, possibly millions across the globe @ risk.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

pompeygunner wrote:As I said earlier the countries involved should have no outbound flights until things are brought under control, seems ludicrous to me that outbound flights are still leaving & putting thousands, possibly millions across the globe @ risk.
I agree entirely. Contain the horrible little feck of a virus.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

It's what they did with the plague back in the oldy days. I remember visiting a village oop north years back that was quite eerie. Name plates over the doors of who had died and when. The whole village was locked down and there is a rock on the boundary where outsiders used to leave them food each day. But I think it did work. With the world being so much smaller nowadays, it does seem obvious that it is even more important. That is, as long as ebola actually turns out to be worse than SARS, Swine Flu, Bird Flu.... So far, the usual annual flu is still many times worse, as is I'm sure, going out for a drink in Guildhall Square on a Saturday night.
Selsey Bill wrote:
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

RubiconCSL wrote:It's what they did with the plague back in the oldy days. I remember visiting a village oop north years back that was quite eerie. Name plates over the doors of who had died and when. The whole village was locked down and there is a rock on the boundary where outsiders used to leave them food each day. But I think it did work. With the world being so much smaller nowadays, it does seem obvious that it is even more important. That is, as long as ebola actually turns out to be worse than SARS, Swine Flu, Bird Flu.... So far, the usual annual flu is still many times worse, as is I'm sure, going out for a drink in Guildhall Square on a Saturday night.
Selsey Bill wrote:

Eyam. On my patch at work.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyam
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

That's the one. Quite unnerving walking around the place and reading all the plaques on the various houses and trying to feel what it must have been like.
Pompey1985 wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote:It's what they did with the plague back in the oldy days. I remember visiting a village oop north years back that was quite eerie. Name plates over the doors of who had died and when. The whole village was locked down and there is a rock on the boundary where outsiders used to leave them food each day. But I think it did work. With the world being so much smaller nowadays, it does seem obvious that it is even more important. That is, as long as ebola actually turns out to be worse than SARS, Swine Flu, Bird Flu.... So far, the usual annual flu is still many times worse, as is I'm sure, going out for a drink in Guildhall Square on a Saturday night.
Selsey Bill wrote:

Eyam. On my patch at work.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyam
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

That's really interesting to read about that village. Sounds like it's worth a visit should I ever find myself unlucky enough to go oop norf. As has already been stated, Sierra Leone et al is that village now and I can't see why it hasn't been isolated. There has to be a reason. Darned if I can think of it though.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Well Eyam did it voluntarily - which was an amazing acrifice to make. Most people would have wanted to run a mile from the place. Human nature won't often make such a sacrifice. therefore, the rest of the world has to enforce it, which would be very difficult; who would be the first to be brave enough to say "you're on you own mate"?
Ziggy Sawdust wrote:That's really interesting to read about that village. Sounds like it's worth a visit should I ever find myself unlucky enough to go oop norf. As has already been stated, Sierra Leone et al is that village now and I can't see why it hasn't been isolated. There has to be a reason. Darned if I can think of it though.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

RubiconCSL wrote:Well Eyam did it voluntarily - which was an amazing acrifice to make. Most people would have wanted to run a mile from the place. Human nature won't often make such a sacrifice. therefore, the rest of the world has to enforce it, which would be very difficult; who would be the first to be brave enough to say "you're on you own mate"? If Cameron did it, people would be all over him saying what an inhumane person he was.
Ziggy Sawdust wrote:That's really interesting to read about that village. Sounds like it's worth a visit should I ever find myself unlucky enough to go oop norf. As has already been stated, Sierra Leone et al is that village now and I can't see why it hasn't been isolated. There has to be a reason. Darned if I can think of it though.