Pompey Consider Permanent Crest Change

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Re: Pompey Consider Permanent Crest Change

Post by Lost in Transportation »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Does anyone know how the football / sword / anchor came about?
And what was the fan reaction and why was it ditched down the road.
I don't even recall how many seasons it was around
Copyright issues I believe with the Star & Crescent is why the football/sword/anchor was introduced in 81(?). Was gotten rid of by Jim Gregory for start of 1989-90. My impression was that fans were generally happy with the reintroduction of the Richard Lionheart crest.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

While I am immensely proud of the achievements of Trust Ownership, I find using the fan ownership line at every opportunity a bit overkill at times. That and we might not always be owned by the trust.. then we would have to have another new badge!

I'd be happy with a star and crescent but with the words 'Portsmouth FC'.
Far Post Brisley
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Far Post Brisley »

From wiki so could be a bit dodgy

"The official emblem contains a gold star and crescent on a blue shield, Portsmouth's adoption of the star and crescent is said to have come from when King Richard I, granted the city "a crescent of gold on a shade of azure, with a blazing star of eight points" which he had taken from the Byzantine Emperor's standard of Governor Isaac Komnenos, after capturing Cyprus. Throughout their history the club have tried different variations of the crest before reverting to the basic gold star and crescent. In the 1950s and 1960s, the traditional crest was emblazoned on the shirt in white rather than gold but this was due to white being a cheaper alternative.

Between 1980 and 1989, Portsmouth scrapped the original crest and replaced it with a new design. This crest showed a football on top of an anchor (representing the navy) and a sword (representing the army). An interchangeable version included a circular version of the star and crescent crest in place of the football. The return of the original crest in 1989 only lasted four years when it was replaced by the city's coat of arms in 1993. This design was based around the basic star and crescent but was unpopular with many fans who thought it was over elaborate. After only four seasons the original crest was again reinstated. "Since 1898" was added to the badge underneath the club's name in time for the 2007 season. On 6 May 2008, Portsmouth unveiled a new crest which differs significantly from the old crest. The "star and moon" now have a three dimensional look after the "three points" was removed. The "moon" also has more diameter and looks quite like the city's Coat of Arms."

Anyone else heard the tale of 3 points removed before??

In other news.....just imagine how many tattoos will need to be amended?
"Oh, well, that's the end of this suit!"
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey1985 wrote:
Isn't that option A?
Pompey Badge.jpg
I like the simplicity of option B but with the colours of option A....

...so I guess I mean option C...

But I'd be disappointed to lose the Star and Crescent if option C caused that to happen.

I think the club need to think very hard about this and take their time over any decision.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Option B for me, the current one, it was the original crest we had :thumb
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Far Post Brisley wrote:From wiki so could be a bit dodgy

"The official emblem contains a gold star and crescent on a blue shield, Portsmouth's adoption of the star and crescent is said to have come from when King Richard I, granted the city "a crescent of gold on a shade of azure, with a blazing star of eight points" which he had taken from the Byzantine Emperor's standard of Governor Isaac Komnenos, after capturing Cyprus. Throughout their history the club have tried different variations of the crest before reverting to the basic gold star and crescent. In the 1950s and 1960s, the traditional crest was emblazoned on the shirt in white rather than gold but this was due to white being a cheaper alternative.

Between 1980 and 1989, Portsmouth scrapped the original crest and replaced it with a new design. This crest showed a football on top of an anchor (representing the navy) and a sword (representing the army). An interchangeable version included a circular version of the star and crescent crest in place of the football. The return of the original crest in 1989 only lasted four years when it was replaced by the city's coat of arms in 1993. This design was based around the basic star and crescent but was unpopular with many fans who thought it was over elaborate. After only four seasons the original crest was again reinstated. "Since 1898" was added to the badge underneath the club's name in time for the 2007 season. On 6 May 2008, Portsmouth unveiled a new crest which differs significantly from the old crest. The "star and moon" now have a three dimensional look after the "three points" was removed. The "moon" also has more diameter and looks quite like the city's Coat of Arms."

Anyone else heard the tale of 3 points removed before??
Not 3. Normally ten. Followed by relegation.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

:D :thumb
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

Option A has to go for the reason NSS states.

The star and crescent HAS to stay. FACT.

From my view, the simpler the better, changing the logo is sign enough that the bad days are being wiped away, we don't need any fancy Latin etc. Option B fits the bill for me, but if a similar simple crest is chosen then so be it. How about Option B, but with yellow/gold instead of white?
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

This Time Next Year wrote:Option A has to go for the reason NSS states.

The star and crescent HAS to stay. FACT.

From my view, the simpler the better, changing the logo is sign enough that the bad days are being wiped away, we don't need any fancy Latin etc. Option B fits the bill for me, but if a similar simple crest is chosen then so be it. How about Option B, but with yellow/gold instead of white?
Exactly my thinking. Option B modified as you say.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Earl Grey wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote:
Isn't that option A?
Pompey Badge.jpg
I like the simplicity of option B but with the colours of option A....

...so I guess I mean option C...

But I'd be disappointed to lose the Star and Crescent if option C caused that to happen.

I think the club need to think very hard about this and take their time over any decision.
Different colours a cross between a and b then. I think b is too 1914 could you imagine that on the doors to reception etc.. Its not just the badge on the kit its a rebranding and that badge as a brand is in my opinion a bit cartoon. To be more precise it would look ****** blown up to 20ft on the back of the fratton end...
Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Nuts »

Voted B . Traditional blue and white. Didn't much like the question mark C design. Would make us look like the Riddler .
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

I quite like A actually. The two tone shield, whether white and blue or the yellow and blue one always looked too two dimensional to me and didn't stand out on the shirts as much as the new HQ crest... even if it does remind me of Sasha and co.

We must also consider the cost of re-branding the club again, which is not worth doing IMHO just for the sake of it. It's not like we have to change it at the moment.
I am me, the universe and you.
yahoodlums
Alan Knight

Post by yahoodlums »

I went B. Never really liked the redesign a few years back. Although a C option is also interesting.
"You can break many things, but you can't break our spirit!"
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

No Shot Sherlock wrote:Does anyone recall when the Option A crest was introduced? I tend now to associate it with a period in the club's history where success descended into utter misery and a fair helping of shame, and I'm all in favour of getting rid.

However, whilst I applaud the club for marking the centenary of WW1, both with the old crest and the Pompey Pals names, I fear that commemoration would be diminished if the use of Option B were carried forward.

So it's Option C for me, though I have no idea of what it should look like. As others have mentioned, perhaps it's time to lose the star and crescent moon to mark the club's new beginning.
Option A was introduced in the 1997 Kit where it featured in the centre chest area, and you are right, when the first financial problems started :cry: But it also reflects the happy days of winning the league and promotoion to the land of doom and evnetual proper financial meltdown !
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Does anyone know how the football / sword / anchor came about?
And what was the fan reaction and why was it ditched down the road.
I don't even recall how many seasons it was around
Apparently it was brought about to recognise the citys links to the army and navy with the sword/anchor, it stayed from 1980 until 1989 so if it was ditched due to fans reactions it was a bit late. It was replaced as it was unpopular with the familiar crest and they added Portsmouth FC underneath.

Shamelessly stolen from another source ;-)
Heaven's Light Our Guide