Advantages of getting rid of scotland...

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Advantages of getting rid of scotland...

Post by Mr Nuts »

Miss Tickle's bottom wrote:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Are you accusing me of being one of those relishing a Yes vote and subsequent economic disaster? Cuz, if so, yer misreading me quite badly.
Of course not - if you re-read my post, you'll notice that it was explicitly directed at "intelligent people".
The Pompey bulletin board doesn't do "like" buttons. But if they did ......
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Are you accusing me of being one of those relishing a Yes vote and subsequent economic disaster? Cuz, if so, yer misreading me quite badly.
Of course not - if you re-read my post, you'll notice that it was explicitly directed at "intelligent people".
See, it's endless, isn't it. I again try to have a reasonable conversation with you and then you say this. Such a shame.

Aaaanyway, I’m still a tad flabbergasted by the ‘Yes’ surge.

They don’t know what currency they are going to use. It’s been made quite clear there will be no CU so while I assume it will now be a ‘Scottish Pound’, will they fix it to Sterling or let it float freely? And will they set up a central bank or just hope for the best with UK interest rates?

They don’t know anything about the tax regime, the borrowing requirements (at what interest rate) or the spending programme of this glorious 'socially just' iScotland.

They will be voting away many thousands of technical, engineering and shipbuilding jobs from Glasgow. The shipbuilding industry will be replaced by a cottage maintenance operation.

Many banks and academics, both very much at the core of the SNP’s plans for iScotland, have already said they will be looking to relocate (or possibly be required to under EU law) along with said shipbuilders and technicians.

That most vital EU question is clearly still unanswered (although the vast majority of experts and lawyers have actually said Scotland will need to reapply from scratch).

National leaders around the world have strongly advised against independence citing political, economic and security reasons.

….And yet there’s this poll. A fascinating insight into the Scottish psyche that is for sure.
blitzoid
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by blitzoid »

For what its worth, I think the Yes vote would be very bad for Scotland, and actually the rest of the UK too, but the evil part of me wants to see it happen, just so I can watch the ensuing chaos!
Its such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Miss Tickle's bottom
Kev the Kitman

Post by Miss Tickle's bottom »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:See, it's endless, isn't it. I again try to have a reasonable conversation with you and then you say this. Such a shame.
Oh come on, is it really that difficult for you to acknowledge a joke? Am I going to have to add "no sense of humour" to your prodigious list of character flaws?
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:See, it's endless, isn't it. I again try to have a reasonable conversation with you and then you say this. Such a shame.
Oh come on, is it really that difficult for you to acknowledge a joke? Am I going to have to add "no sense of humour" to your prodigious list of character flaws?
That and an extreme sense of victimhood. :)
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Guy Whittingham

Lost in Transportation wrote:
That and an extreme sense of victimhood. :)
Yeah, we should cross off 'Psychiatrist' from your list of potential careers. You really are very, VERY bad at reading people.

You also lack all skill in mockery and satire. So, scrub 'Comedy Quiz Show Regular' off too.

However, if there is any kind of a salary to be earned from being an 'Ultracrepidarian', you should pursue that with all due haste.

Edit: 'Politician'! That's the job we're looking for!
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:Yeah, we should cross off 'Psychiatrist' from your list of potential careers. You really are very, VERY bad at reading people.

You also lack all skill in mockery and satire. So, scrub 'Comedy Quiz Show Regular' off too.

However, if there is any kind of a salary to be earned from being an 'Ultracrepidarian', you should pursue that with all due haste.

Edit: 'Politician'! That's the job we're looking for!
More toys out of the pram there.

I just find you sad. A genuine offer was made and you responded how exactly? By throwing insults and referencing previous slights. Perhaps if you didn't over-react in the first place...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

So, to sum up todays wonderful world of utter madness, here is the Metro front page. A better overview of todays society you could not wish for...
toofeckinrightwewontshareit.jpg
toofeckinrightwewontshareit.jpg (111.19 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
Guy Whittingham

* {|:¬)> Milkins wrote:So, to sum up todays wonderful world of utter madness, here is the Metro front page. A better overview of todays society you could not wish for...
toofeckinrightwewontshareit.jpg
Re the CU, the nats are seriously intent, almost desperately so, on handing one of the most powerful economic levers, one which impacts fiscal policy, the housing market, loans, savings, pensions, inward investment, debt repayments and more…..to their nearest commercial competitor.

They do appear to be quite, quite mad.

(Talking of which: LIT, do please shuffle off.)
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

"No Panic in the No Camp"

So, panic in the No camp then
Div III. Call it what it is.
Milkins
Interim Manager

Post by Milkins »

Can't wait to see the border force turning back the benefit tourists.

I would also speculate that, within 10 years, most distilleries will be owned by Russians, Indians and Chinese. Half the scottish "parliament" "building" will be leased to a US consortium intent on turning every spare acre of land into golf courses.

salmond thinks he can create another Norway. Trouble is, they salted away their oil money from the beginning and are sitting on a massive pile of cash. They're set up for a long prosperous future after the oil disappears.

scotland will be borrowing huge mountains of cash to fund their welfare plans (possibly from the Norwegians...?) and taxing every business and individual to the hilt to try and service the debt.

Share prices of scottish based businesses are already falling at the prospect of a yes vote - I can almost hear office leasing agents rubbing their hands with glee South of the border.

Everyone I've spoken to so far about this whole fiasco has said they don't give a sh*t which way the vote goes. The scots (and for some strange reason, the media) have been blathering on about this referendum for a while in the mistaken belief that the English give a t0$$. So far from my (admittedly unscientific) polling, we don't.
Guy Whittingham

* {|:¬)> Milkins wrote:Can't wait to see the border force turning back the benefit tourists.

I would also speculate that, within 10 years, most distilleries will be owned by Russians, Indians and Chinese. Half the scottish "parliament" "building" will be leased to a US consortium intent on turning every spare acre of land into golf courses.

salmond thinks he can create another Norway. Trouble is, they salted away their oil money from the beginning and are sitting on a massive pile of cash. They're set up for a long prosperous future after the oil disappears.

scotland will be borrowing huge mountains of cash to fund their welfare plans (possibly from the Norwegians...?) and taxing every business and individual to the hilt to try and service the debt.

Share prices of scottish based businesses are already falling at the prospect of a yes vote - I can almost hear office leasing agents rubbing their hands with glee South of the border.

Everyone I've spoken to so far about this whole fiasco has said they don't give a sh*t which way the vote goes. The scots (and for some strange reason, the media) have been blathering on about this referendum for a while in the mistaken belief that the English give a t0$$. So far from my (admittedly unscientific) polling, we don't.
A similar straw poll of my international chums produces the strong conclusion of "Are they mad?".

Curiously, this includes multiple ex-UK colony types which I would have thought would be pro-Indy.

(On a separate note: Data input is dull and I bleedin' hate Excel.)
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

* {|:¬)> Milkins wrote:Can't wait to see the border force turning back the benefit tourists.

With regards to the finance absolutely spot on, couldn't have put it better myself.
sacre blue
Interim Manager

Post by sacre blue »

How many people in Brittany would rather be part of the UK than France?
Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life.
Milkins
Interim Manager

Post by Milkins »

Britain is becoming more like Downton Abbey according to Frances O'Grady, General Secretary of the TUC ("O'Grady was born in Oxford, one of five siblings in a family of Irish descent, and was brought up in the Roman Catholic faith"... make of that what you will).

Anyway, it occurred to me that once scotland is ejected from the collective, that will probably be true as it's inhabitants pour South to work in servitude.

Pomp would be in his element cavorting around like Maggie Smith, asking his caledonian chamber maid to ensure his gusset was well pressed.