Engurlund v Norway

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Engurlund v Norway

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Y'all should be a bit embarrassed that the NFL thread is there and on one has popped the national teams footy match.
So I thought I'd rescue y'all

So, 1 warm up before euro quals which start with a tough away to Swiss Cheesers, Sir Wayne installed as Captain and wot have we got so far?
An attendance sure to be outstripped by Jacksonville and 0-0 midway through the second half.

Hodgson's reign hasn't even reached the dizzy heights of dull mediocrity.

It's not an awful squad but its crying out for an inspirational manager, dare I say it....Harry Redknapp
Div III. Call it what it is.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Re: Engurlund v Norway

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

It's that embarrassing that none of us can bring ourselves to respond to this. Or it could be that none of us really care. You choose.

Here's a clue from the red camp. I haven't even looked at the team. Is the match on the box? Dunno. Been sitting out enjoying the evening sun with good company and a gallon of good red diesel. What could be better?
Dr Watson
Robbie Pethick

Post by Dr Watson »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:Been sitting out enjoying the evening sun with good company and a gallon of good red diesel. What could be better?
You paid less than £1.50?
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

:D

Awkward, uninspiring, spin-off from the World Cup, some international/World class have retired, and some out injured.

I had it on in background, and just had another look (for my sins) at the 1st half again. Couple of chances and about half a dozen half-chances. Norway were *very* mediocre.

Think we need to play to Sterling's strengths, he is prob. best as a #10 (and will be, behind Sturridge/Balotelli). But Rooney will probably be too (viz van Persie/Falcao). But I think there is room for both in the team. (Besides, not exactly 'flush' with players in *any* position, are we?).

['football manager mode]

Would play a sort of 4-3-1-2. Sterling at #10 behind Sturridge & Rooney. All 3 like to drop deep & go wide, especially the Liverpool pair who have a great understanding, though think Woy should stick with Wayne, but as the striker, who stays a bit more 'put'. (& *hope* they gel as a threesome, there are signs they are getting there). Obvious lack of confidence though. Defensively we can be quite poor too.

The three in midfield. One needs to be able to pass *well*, one who can tackle, and one who can get wide. Hopefully the full-backs can push on some. Ox-Chamberlain for the 'one who gets wide', I suppose Wilshere (though he's got a bit to do), and A.N.Other (still not sure about Henderson, but can see why he plays him). Be interesting (err, well slightly), when Walcott gets fit, as is another player who can play at this level.

Jagielka/Cahill at CB (well, there isn't really anybody else). Baines, Johnson or whoever on the other side. Hart is our best keeper. Other than Rooney, it's just Baines & the CB's who aren't "young". It's possible that if this lot stick together, they could come good in a few years, most of them being early 20's. Welbeck or Lambert give a different option up front. Shaw for LB eventually maybe. Lallana? Carrick (backwards step?), Jones? - there's not too many options.

Have to agree, not inspiring. Not enough good English players around, but we better get used to it for the time being. Hope that they develop together like Germany* :wink:

*See Di Maria doing his best to justify his price tag - 3 assists & 1 goal vs the World Champions!

Have to agree, maybe not so much the personnel, as a Manager that *really* makes them believe in themselves - rather than 'playing safe'.
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
JenniTalia
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by JenniTalia »

Glad I watched the Great British Bake Off instead :D
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love... and then we return home. – Aboriginal proverb.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Switched off at half time. Dull as dishwater.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

England friendlies are a total turn-off for me, can't remember the last time I watched one. Played at 60% pace, by a bunch of players who seem pretty ambivalent about earning their cap, whether its their first or one hundredth. The FA/Sky promotion also makes it insufferable. I think it peaked a couple of years ago when 'England v San Marino was billed as 'THE GAME YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO MISS!'.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Roy Dullman Hodgson out...please.

Jaysus...what a tedious pile of poo.
I shall broke no argument that the players are poor. All of that line up starts in the prem with the exception of Stones and half of them star in the prem.
I can think of no England game that has been entertaining since Woy has been in the hot seat and I can only give him Ukraine away as adventurous tactically.

But seriously folks....something is very wrong when the NFL's 3 games are going to out sell England's 5 qualifying games.
Please fire everyone involved with the national football team and start again.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Roy Dullman Hodgson out...please.

I shall broke no argument that the players are poor. All of that line up starts in the prem with the exception of Stones and half of them star in the prem.
I can think of no England game that has been entertaining since Woy has been in the hot seat and I can only give him Ukraine away as adventurous tactically.

But seriously folks....something is very wrong when the NFL's 3 games are going to out sell England's 5 qualifying games.
Unfortunately, an England cap isn't the pinnacle of a player's career any more. Its a £300k a week salary, and a regular starting place at your club. All of which is threatened by a meaningless fixture you play for gratis, against largely lesser talented players who want to kick your diamond encrusted **** up in the air for 90 minutes.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Weybridge wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Roy Dullman Hodgson out...please.

Unfortunately, an England cap isn't the pinnacle of a player's career any more. Its a £300k a week salary, and a regular starting place at your club. All of which is threatened by a meaningless fixture you play for gratis, against largely lesser talented players who want to kick your diamond encrusted **** up in the air for 90 minutes.
But why is it not the same for the Jeermans/French/ Eyties/ Dutch/Spain then?

I'm convinced its down to the FA picking the wrong manager every time since they had the opportunity for Clough.
They have played safe and boring for 30 years. With the possible exceptions of Venables and Hoddle
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

As has been said, no-one wants to risk their £300k a week and a start in the next real international game, against nobodies. Many of the players are already pretty much guaranteed to start agianst Switzerland anyway, hence the only players that really do anything are those trying to get into the squad - Welbeck for example isn't a cert to start, so he tries. Rooney etc. have no desire to prove anything.

Isn't it also partly because we always seem to play specially picked weaker opposition? We are then expected to win easily and can only ever really disappoint, or at best get a reserved "well done, but it was only xxx after all". Germany v Argentina last night - now I bet none of them held back in that game and their managers actually learned something.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

And whilst I'm seething....how is it the USA can take a third rate football team, hire a world world world class guy like Klinsmann, go and beat the Czech Republic (no pushovers) away and make what was really a poor World Cup showing into a triumph?

I'll tell you why.....it's because US players put their heart and soul into the game for their nation and for their manager whom has instilled that ethic into the team.

I truly believe freakin Warnock would do a better job than Woy.
As they say in Football Manager 2010...."Where's the passion lads?"

It's down to the manager.......Woy has had 32 games and he's only won 50%.... and when you consider the dross that England get to play half the time......that's poor....AND...btw...(Stat FACT alert)....it's the same winning % as Stevo Brolly McClaren and Graham Watford Taylor with a similar amount of games played.

AND......furthermore, As Redneck Darth Vader would say.......I find y'alls lack of outrage disturbing.
just blue
Milan Mandaric

Post by just blue »

Nothing wrong with England - it's the opponents who are boring!!!

Manager Roy Hodgson said: "We'll find it hard to bring attendances back because the opponents we're playing won't excite the public."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29056885
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Fair enough in "real" games, but that's no excuse in friendlies. Plus of course, England are boring too and sadly two borings don't make an exciting.
~blue~ wrote:Nothing wrong with England - it's the opponents who are boring!!!

Manager Roy Hodgson said: "We'll find it hard to bring attendances back because the opponents we're playing won't excite the public."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29056885
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Does anyone think that Germany will not sell out their games in Euro quals?.....or Italy...or Spain

They are all facing mediocre opposition too

There is a total lack of enthusiasm for England........manager and the FA to blame!

Any other nation would have fired Woy by now