Engurlund v Norway

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Engurlund v Norway

Post by Weybridge »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Does anyone think that Germany will not sell out their games in Euro quals?.....or Italy...or Spain

They are all facing mediocre opposition too

There is a total lack of enthusiasm for England........manager and the FA to blame!

Any other nation would have fired Woy by now
Germany, Italy and Spain don't have national stadia, which is also England's problem. I often wonder if Wembley outperforms the actual occasion.

Take last night. Why use the largest stadium in the country with world-class facilities including media operations, for an inconsequential match against less than inspiring opposition?
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Weybridge wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Does anyone think that Germany will not sell out their games in Euro quals?.....or Italy...or Spain

They are all facing mediocre opposition too

There is a total lack of enthusiasm for England........manager and the FA to blame!

Any other nation would have fired Woy by now
Germany, Italy and Spain don't have national stadia, which is also England's problem. I often wonder if Wembley outperforms the actual occasion.

Take last night. Why use the largest stadium in the country with world-class facilities including media operations, for an inconsequential match against less than inspiring opposition?
Good point and there is/was an article on the bbc about this very issue.
Apparently, England are locked into Wembley for the next 8 yrs.

But you are quite right.....last nights borus deblacus would have been a different game if at Villa Park, St James or even St Faries
Div III. Call it what it is.
Guernsey Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Guernsey Blue »

Rather than subject myself to what was obviously going to be 90 minutes of utter tripe, I watched the England wimmin's cricket team hand their South African counterparts their somewhat broad asses in a T20 game.

How refreshing it was to see a group of people performing under the name "England" with talent, commitment and passion. You'd go a long way to see a better wicket-keeping performance than that given by Sarah Taylor last night. (The fact that she's also quite cute is a bonus.)
I daren't think too much, so I drink too much
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Guernsey Blue wrote:Rather than subject myself to what was obviously going to be 90 minutes of utter tripe, I watched the England wimmin's cricket team hand their South African counterparts their somewhat broad asses in a T20 game.

How refreshing it was to see a group of people performing under the name "England" with talent, commitment and passion. You'd go a long way to see a better wicket-keeping performance than that given by Sarah Taylor last night. (The fact that she's also quite cute is a bonus.)
Yes, she's a decent keeper. She was supposed to be playing for Sussex 2nd XI this season, but looks like she never made it.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Watched the 1st woman's cricket game v SA. Very decent standard. Had to laugh @ the SA off break bowler, a heffalump & a resemblance to Big Fat Kat from down the road.
:D :thumb
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

JenniTalia wrote:Glad I watched the Great British Bake Off instead :D
You and loads others it seems. Twice as many!
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Why would anyone bother watching England play football?

The players come across as over-entitled wasters with little interest in the game.

The tactics consist of playing sideways across the back four and midfield for a while, and then hoofing the ball vaguely forward.

The supporters are a bunch of right-wing boors and bores with continual references to the last war and signing of the British national anthem. And, don't mention the band!

The ticket prices are ridiculous, and then Wembley is a rip-off for buying anything else.

The TV coverage is awful (I think this is a wind-up on the lines of seeing how bad they can make a programme and still get people to watch), provides no insight, is heavily one-sided and is too soft on England, especially the "big" players.

So, a serious question, "Why would anyone bother watching England play football?".
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey Penguin wrote:Why would anyone bother watching England play football?
So, a serious question, "Why would anyone bother watching England play football?".
Did you give up on Pompey when we were rubbish??
Just a thought loike. :)
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

The players come across as over-entitled wasters with little interest in the game.

The tactics consist of playing sideways across the back four and midfield for a while, and then hoofing the ball vaguely forward.

The supporters are a bunch of right-wing boors and bores with continual references to the last war and signing of the British national anthem. And, don't mention the band!

The ticket prices are ridiculous, and then Wembley is a rip-off for buying anything else.

The TV coverage is awful (I think this is a wind-up on the lines of seeing how bad they can make a programme and still get people to watch), provides no insight, is heavily one-sided and is too soft on England, especially the "big" players.

But apart from that...?

Totally agree, but then I'm becoming a bit disenchanted with premiership football as well. I might even learn to bake a cake instead of wasting my time and money going to matches.
Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Nuts »

I've watched one game since 2010 World Cup.