Dave Mackay dies

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Dave Mackay dies

Post by dickinson »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/31704507

I remember the Bremner confrontation picture being in the papers.

I was lucky enough to see him play for Tottenham a couple of times,alas not against us. Good hard player,hugely respected. A real leader, I cannot think of his equivalent today. Even Cloughie wouldn't dare to argue with him during his Derby days. However, came across as a man of integrity off the field.
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Dave Mackay dies

Post by itsaintfunny »

I had the Bremner pic in mind when I heard the news on the radio this morning .
As you say an inspirational player and did well at derby as Manager too.
Times change eh when you think a player of that stature left Spurs for a nominal 5k.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

For a player to win 10 trophies was a major achievement in the 60s/70s.

Those were the days when every top division club (and most others) had three or four Scottish players, usually vital parts of the team, and Dave MacKay was a top example. The Scottish national team was as good as England's, if not a better first XI. Now virtually nothing. I do miss England v. Scotland being a proper rivalry, and I remember MacKay being a big part of that.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

This I found in Wiki, I think the comments sum him up quite well during his playing days.

George Best (1946–2005), of Manchester United, one of Tottenham's fiercest rivals in the 1960s, described Mackay as "the hardest man I have ever played against – and certainly the bravest".

Mackay died on 2 March 2015 at the age of 80.

Heart of Midlothian stated "It is with deep regret that we have to advise of the death of Dave Mackay who was possibly the most complete midfield player that Scotland has ever produced".-

Tottenham wrote in an obituary "Dave Mackay will certainly always be remembered here as one of our greatest ever players and a man who never failed to inspire those around him. In short, a Spurs legend".

Very different to today's footballer, not convinced look at the link below

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/1 ... es-5263238
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Pompey Penguin wrote: I do miss England v. Scotland being a proper rivalry
Yes....the Home Internationals, every year, were a highlight for me and it's such a shame they've ended.

You couldn't re-introduce them today because they'd be a farce with loads of players being unavailable due to lack of interest, lack of a big enough match-fees, club bans, feigned injuries etc. plus even those who played would probably be trying to avoid injury rather than playing for the pride of representing their country.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I was at the Cup Game in 1967 at White Hart Lane with about 20,000 other Pompey Fans. Dave MacKay played for Spurs that day along with :

Pat Jennings
Defender Cyril Knowles
Defender Phil Beal
Defender/Centre back Mike England
Midfielder Alan Mullery
Midfielder Terry Venables
Forward Alan Gilzean
Winger Jimmy Robertson
Winger Cliff Jones
Inside forward Jimmy Greaves

They went on to win the Cup that year, what a team that was (only four English Men though! )

My memory of that game was when Barry Harris (who at that time was the "Pompey Sailor" thus was one of the early mascots) came up the players tunnel before the game started, the roar our crowd made was awesome. I met Barry outside the ground at Yeovil this season and mentioned that event to him. He then quoted the exact date and the two teams that played in that epic match. Legend!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

Found this small report of the match
Date 18-02-1967

Spurs progressed through this FA Cup Fourth Round tie with a 3-1 win over Portsmouth.
After a three-match epic to overcome Hull City in the previous round, Pompey might have been drained and Tottenham took full advantage. Pompey mascot (in full naval dress) Barry Harris got the 15,000 South Coast fans singing, but they were quietened by goals from Alan Gilzean (2) and Jimmy Greaves. Ron Tindall netted a consolation goal for Portsmouth.

Spurs - , , , , , , , , ,Gilzean, Greaves.
Portsmouth - , , , , , , ,Tindall.
Crowd : - 57,910
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote="dickinson"]Found this small report of the match
Date 18-02-1967

Spurs progressed through this FA Cup Fourth Round tie with a 3-1 win over Portsmouth.
After a three-match epic to overcome Hull City in the previous round, Pompey might have been drained and Tottenham took full advantage. Pompey mascot (in full naval dress) Barry Harris got the 15,000 South Coast fans singing, but they were quietened by goals from Alan Gilzean (2) and Jimmy Greaves. Ron Tindall netted a consolation goal for Portsmouth.

Spurs - , , , , , , , , ,Gilzean, Greaves.
Portsmouth - , , , , , , ,Tindall.
Crowd : - 57,910[/quote]

20,000 Pompey Fans made more noise when Barry Harris appeared than the Spurs Fans did when they scored their goals
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man