Alps air crash latest

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Alps air crash latest

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Co-Pilot crashed it deliberately, according to the French, who have listened to the voice recorder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32063587

Sheesh, what was going on in his life that he felt he had to kill himself and 150 innocent bystanders?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Re: Alps air crash latest

Post by Portchester PFC »

Christ, that is bad news if true.

The question is going to be asked if this is now a terrorist related incident, was he a convert of some sort etc.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

There's no indication this is terrorist-linked. The lack of any Takbir (ie. "Allahu Akbar") in the cockpit transcript is a strong indicator it wasn't.

I assume the policy will now be to always have two people in the cockpit at any time...
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

I was listening to the French prosecutor giving details in the live press conference. It made my blood run cold. Absolutely horrific. The co-pilot can't have planned it though because he just took his chance when the captain left the cockpit to go to the loo. Imagine those 8 minutes when the plane was descending. No, don't!
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:There's no indication this is terrorist-linked. The lack of any Takbir (ie. "Allahu Akbar") in the cockpit transcript is a strong indicator it wasn't.

I assume the policy will now be to always have two people in the cockpit at any time...
Many airlines already have this policy in place - if a pilot steps out (eg toilet break) another member of the air crew must take their place. Sadly, Lufthansa and its subsidiaries do not.

SInce the fact that there is an emergency code available to get into the cockpit is now being blasted all around the internet, and terrorists everywhere are rubbing their hands with glee, I'd imagine that there will be some sort of shake-up in cockpit security in the coming months.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

the_lock_man wrote:
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:There's no indication this is terrorist-linked. The lack of any Takbir (ie. "Allahu Akbar") in the cockpit transcript is a strong indicator it wasn't.

Many airlines already have this policy in place - if a pilot steps out (eg toilet break) another member of the air crew must take their place. Sadly, Lufthansa and its subsidiaries do not.

SInce the fact that there is an emergency code available to get into the cockpit is now being blasted all around the internet, and terrorists everywhere are rubbing their hands with glee, I'd imagine that there will be some sort of shake-up in cockpit security in the coming months.
Do terrorists still bother trying to hijack planes? surely there are easier ways to spread their 'message'
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

At least it would appear that passengers didn't realise until the last few seconds as apparently they were only heard screaming right at the end. Doesn't make those last few moments any easier, but at least they apparently didn't know 8 minutes in advance of what was going to happen.
Ziggy Sawdust wrote:I was listening to the French prosecutor giving details in the live press conference. It made my blood run cold. Absolutely horrific. The co-pilot can't have planned it though because he just took his chance when the captain left the cockpit to go to the loo. Imagine those 8 minutes when the plane was descending. No, don't!
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

RubiconCSL wrote:At least it would appear that passengers didn't realise until the last few seconds as apparently they were only heard screaming right at the end. Doesn't make those last few moments any easier, but at least they apparently didn't know 8 minutes in advance of what was going to happen.
Ziggy Sawdust wrote:I was listening to the French prosecutor giving details in the live press conference. It made my blood run cold. Absolutely horrific. The co-pilot can't have planned it though because he just took his chance when the captain left the cockpit to go to the loo. Imagine those 8 minutes when the plane was descending. No, don't!
Wouldn't they have seen the captain banging on the door trying to get in and the mountains getting closer?
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:
RubiconCSL wrote:At least it would appear that passengers didn't realise until the last few seconds as apparently they were only heard screaming right at the end. Doesn't make those last few moments any easier, but at least they apparently didn't know 8 minutes in advance of what was going to happen.
Wouldn't they have seen the captain banging on the door trying to get in and the mountains getting closer?

Guessing it took a few minutes to know what was happening.
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

Actually, the quote from the press conference specifies that the passengers' screams couldn't be heard until the last few minutes.
Guy Whittingham

the_lock_man wrote:

The code has to be accepted by the pilot in the cockpit. He can still refuse entry and keep the door locked, which is what happened in this instance. If the pilot does not acknowledge the code (eg they're unconscious), the door opens automatically.
Pompey Dave
Alan Knight

Post by Pompey Dave »

There are other "makes" of terrorist.
Ahh Frazzles, the king of snack foods...
Guy Whittingham

Pompey Dave wrote:

There are other "makes" of terrorist.
None that would also carry out this type of long-term suicide operation though.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

From the BBC site: "We have found something which will now be taken for tests. We cannot say what it is at the moment but it may be a very significant clue to what has happened," the Daily Mail quoted police spokesman Markus Niesczery as saying.

Not a suicide note, apparently.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

A number of airlines have had a "minimum of 2 crew in the cockpit at all times" policy for a number of years.

Whoever it was at Lufthansa that said "Nah, we don't need that" must be kicking himself big-time.