Ruled by the scots...

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Ruled by the scots...

Post by Pompey1985 »

I'd been happy to vote for anyone who recognised the need for greater autonomy at the local level and who realised the economy no the country isn't the south east.
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

Lost in Transportation wrote:
Milkins wrote:...or, we gave them a leader elected by the whole of the UK
Well we can't count the Irish. Re Britain, 79 and 83 were national results but since then the Tories have retreated into being an English party.
In 1997, 2001, 2005 and 2010, the Tories were only 2-4% of the vote behind the SNP in Scotland...although I suspect that might change this year.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife wrote:
Lost in Transportation wrote:
Milkins wrote:...or, we gave them a leader elected by the whole of the UK
Well we can't count the Irish. Re Britain, 79 and 83 were national results but since then the Tories have retreated into being an English party.
In 1997, 2001, 2005 and 2010, the Tories were only 2-4% of the vote behind the SNP in Scotland...although I suspect that might change this year.
It might but the SNP have a more delicate position to maintain re the GE.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

Just one example as to why no party should have any dealings with the SNP. Read,digest,learn.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/1148 ... -bare.html
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
Far Post Brisley
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Far Post Brisley »

I think it would be wise to ask any sitting MP what 5 things they have done for there constituents? There are some local MPs, namely, Dinenage in Gosport, Mordaunt in Portsmouth North who seem far more in touch with their constituents than others. Other MP's are less so.

I would usually ask the next door neighbour question... which candidate would I like to know, trust or like enough to represent me? This has meant in 5 different elections in 3 homes, I have voted for 3 different parties.

Party politics has turned off most of the electorate. Lets see 400 odd independent MP's form a government, rather than end up a group of half cooked compromise policies that no one can claim to own nor take the blame when they go wrong, and all take credit if they go well. Truth is often over interpreted and then reported in a way to enrage rather than engage.

"Honesty is a lonely word" - Song by somebody or other..
"Oh, well, that's the end of this suit!"
brian lewis
Mickey Quinn

Post by brian lewis »

This thread appears to be, mainly, following the line of the media story of 'Miliband in Salmond's (surely it should be Sturgeon's) pocket'. Politically it is surely the other way round. The last thing the SNP want is a Tory led government, therefore Labour (if they are they in govt.) can say to the Nats; vote against our policies, vote us down, get another election and in all probablility get the Tories. The SNP will have to agree or they will be back to square one in Scotland i.e. the Scots will blame them for letting in a Tory administration and will vote accordingly. The SNP, especially Salmond, just like making a lot of noise.
The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone else is trying to make you be somebody else
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

dickinson wrote:Given that so many Scots seem to be revolting against the UK, a moratorium on infrastructural projects like HS2 might seem to be a good idea.
I know the Scottish government do indeed have devolved powers on some forms of local transport, I am uncertain whether this includes the decisions about the funding of HS2. I'm inclined to think this -some would say a vanity project- comes under the umbrella of UK funding as a whole.
You are correct in your assumption that the Scottish government do have devolved powers on local transport - The funding of HS2 is UK funding and is an infrastructure project involving not only the train operating companies (TOCs) but also the line and signalling structure. Interestingly, the total population of Scotland is a little more than 6 million, whereas the total population of London alone is presently 8.6 million and the GDP of London far outstrips that of the tartan tearaways of Scotland.......I'd say the Scots already have a pretty good deal!
HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife
Guy Whittingham

Post by HappyHour@TheBreweryOfLife »

brian lewis wrote:This thread appears to be, mainly, following the line of the media story of 'Miliband in Salmond's (surely it should be Sturgeon's) pocket'. Politically it is surely the other way round. The last thing the SNP want is a Tory led government, therefore Labour (if they are they in govt.) can say to the Nats; vote against our policies, vote us down, get another election and in all probablility get the Tories. The SNP will have to agree or they will be back to square one in Scotland i.e. the Scots will blame them for letting in a Tory administration and will vote accordingly. The SNP, especially Salmond, just like making a lot of noise.
The nats have always said that a Tory Government is the SNP's most efficient recruitment sergeant. It is not beyond the realms of probability that another Cameron term is really want SNP Central wants.

Saying that, if I was Miliband, your approach is exactly how I'd play it.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

brian lewis wrote:vote against our policies, vote us down, get another election and in all probablility get the Tories.
That 2nd election business might be a bit tricky given the Fixed Term Parliament Act as to whether a vote of no confidence would be valid. It might be difficult getting Cameron out of Downing Street without an overall majority to call upon.
Cabinet Manual wrote:An incumbent government is entitled to wait until the new parliament has met to see if it can command the confidence of the Commons, but is expected to resign if it becomes clear that it is unlikely to be able to and there is a clear alternative.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
dickinson
Gary O'Neil

Post by dickinson »

I think there are 59 seats for the taking in a few weeks time in Scotland. The fact that Milliband won't refute the possible offer made by Sturgeon of a confidence and supply coalition, and with 30 Labour MP's today acknowledging that they would be happy to work with the SNP suggests that left wing will join together. These in turn will combine with other left wing minorities such as Sinn Fein (who never attend Parliament),Plaid, DUP,SDLP, Greens and the Liberal Party.

I am in no doubt that should the Conservative Party be elected they too will seek to coalesce with the right of centre parties such as the Unionists, and maybe Ukip, although the EU membership early vote motion will be deal breaker. Although politically I sometimes find Ukip hard to place in terms of left and right. Leave that debate for another day. Unsure about the Liberal Party as i think they may feel they have suffered in terms of their political identity in the last coalition. In order to seek balance they may well swing towards their more natural ally in Labour. Also the Liberals are adamant in not wanting an early vote on the EU,as they want to stay in as do Labour.

Liberals have always suffered from the dictum-'he who stands in the middle of the road gets run over.'

The bookmakers believe the combined left will win-just.

I feel the clincher for this election will be how many of the youth will come out and vote. They nearly always show an overwhelming tendency to swing to the left, as was demonstrated in Scotland despite various false reports to the contrary. If they vote in their numbers there will almost certainly be an overall Labour majority IMO.

Remember because the boundary changes did not happen due to the Liberals refusal to play ball, the Labour Party start with a supposed five seat advantage, don't ask me how, i'm just repeating what I heard on the Daily Politics programme on TV.
Talking of the TV I saw a programme called Free Speech, a very left leaning BBC programme, the youngsters seemed very idealistic but above all -predominantly thick (apparently they are from the local university), they seemed to act like the worst form of student from the USA, whoop whooping all the time,mainly female,which I dislike intensely. They were all for compassion and saving the world,it sort of took me back to the sixties whereby I witnessed a younger generation of peace,love through greater sexual freedom,loss of community,strikes,drugs,multicuturalism and flower power, and what a pigs ear of a revolutionary high speed self-destructive journey that took us upon.

I hope history doesn't repeat itself, but from what I saw of these young idealists I fear it might. I also sensed an entitlement culture in its worst form,without any need of working to obtain it.

The interesting thing is that as people get older they tend to vote towards the right wing of British politics in the main. Is this sagacity,who knows?

Anyway back to the election. Sorry about the ramble.
Should Cameron be asked to run with a Minority government I would expect another election within a year to 18 months.

My gut feeling is that Labour will form the next government and that the youth will come out and vote, Labour will have the support of all the minor left wing parties including the Liberals and the SNP. The Liberal support may well be essential in order to counter the many demands of the SNP.

Like the bookies, I think it will be a close run election. Buckle your belts and get ready for the journey.
To accept ones ignorance is a great step towards an education - Abraham Lincoln
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Milliband running the Country would be like AA being England Manager - utterly unthinkable !!
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Mickemo wrote:Milliband running the Country would be like AA being England Manager - utterly unthinkable !!
What? Even more unthinkable that the chinless eton toff & his rich chums from running it with the lies, u turns etc etc.
:D
Mr Nuts
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Nuts »

pompeygunner wrote:
Mickemo wrote:Milliband running the Country would be like AA being England Manager - utterly unthinkable !!
What? Even more unthinkable that the chinless eton toff & his rich chums from running it with the lies, u turns etc etc.
Not thatv have any particular political allegiance but the short answer is yes.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Mr Nuts wrote:
pompeygunner wrote:
Each to their own i guess but for me Labour see the bigger picture whereas the tories like to just look after the wealthy. I cannot imagine what state the NHS will be in or genuine people on benefits etc after another 5 yrs of the chinless wonder.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I agree. Perfectly reasonable to discount a prime minister, purely based on what school they went to.
pompeygunner wrote:
Mr Nuts wrote:
pompeygunner wrote:
Each to their own i guess but for me Labour see the bigger picture whereas the tories like to just look after the wealthy. I cannot imagine what state the NHS will be in or genuine people on benefits etc after another 5 yrs of the chinless wonder.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.