OT - Brexit Poll Tracker

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Re: OT - Brexit Poll Tracker

Post by Locky_McLockface »

An interesting analogy which my mother mentioned the other day:-

In any abusive relationship, the abusive partner tells the other that they would be worse off without them, that they couldn't cope on their own, that they need the abusive partner to survive. And in those circumstances, the wisest choice for the abused partner is to leave.

There are flaws to the analogy, certainly, but also some truth.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Ziggy Sawdust
Kev the Kitman

Post by Ziggy Sawdust »

Locky_McLockface wrote:An interesting analogy which my mother mentioned the other day:-

In any abusive relationship, the abusive partner tells the other that they would be worse off without them, that they couldn't cope on their own, that they need the abusive partner to survive. And in those circumstances, the wisest choice for the abused partner is to leave.

I like the sound of your mother.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Ziggy Sawdust wrote:
Locky_McLockface wrote:An interesting analogy which my mother mentioned the other day:-

Me too, but then I am biased. :wink:
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Locky_McLockface wrote:
Ziggy Sawdust wrote:

Me too, but then I am biased. :wink:
Quite a good analogy. Although once leaving, doesn't the abused partner often need to rely on a big support network afterwards? :)
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
pompey24
Robbie Pethick

Post by pompey24 »

Neither side has said this but the referendum vote is not legally binding as Parliament actually has the final say. So if they want politicians can ignore it, though it might be political suicide. So even if Boris became Prime minister it could be voted down especially as more want to stay in than leave even on Tory side
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

pompey24 wrote:Neither side has said this but the referendum vote is not legally binding as Parliament actually has the final say. So if they want politicians can ignore it, though it might be political suicide. So even if Boris became Prime minister it could be voted down especially as more want to stay in than leave even on Tory side

I found this out the other day myself . If it is close , I expect Cameron etc will do just that .
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

pompey24 wrote:Neither side has said this but the referendum vote is not legally binding as Parliament actually has the final say. So if they want politicians can ignore it, though it might be political suicide. So even if Boris became Prime minister it could be voted down especially as more want to stay in than leave even on Tory side
This was mentioned, I think, on the news either last night, or the night before. I don't think that your phrase "it might be political suicide" is strictly true. It's more a case of "it would be political suicide." To be honest, I don't think even the most dictatorially arrogant of our Rt.Hons. (either side) would consider ignoring the electorate on this one.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

The German paper Bild says, tongue in cheek, that if we stay they will even accept Geoff Hurst's off the bar 'goal' in 1966 was a legitimate one.

You gotta love the Germans...who said they have no sense of humour?
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

Locky_McLockface wrote:
This was mentioned, I think, on the news either last night, or the night before. I don't think that your phrase "it might be political suicide" is strictly true. It's more a case of "it would be political suicide." To be honest, I don't think even the most dictatorially arrogant of our Rt.Hons. (either side) would consider ignoring the electorate on this one.
It will take years to happen if Brexit won the referendum. Years. It will need considerable preparation before doing so. And before that, you have to find agreement on what flavour Brexit the country was embarking on. We are so far away from actually Brexiting unless Cameron throws his toys out of the pram and starts the Article 50 process without Parliamentary consent.
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Earl Grey wrote:The German paper Bild says, tongue in cheek, that if we stay they will even accept Geoff Hurst's off the bar 'goal' in 1966 was a legitimate one.

You gotta love the Germans...who said they have no sense of humour?
Bild is their version of the Sun.
Number 1 Jasper
Guy Whittingham

Post by Number 1 Jasper »

Neither side has said this but the referendum vote is not legally binding as Parliament actually has the final say. So if they want politicians can ignore it, though it might be political suicide.
"I love the night. The day is okay and the sun can be fun. But I live to see those rays slip away"
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Number 1 Jasper wrote:Neither side has said this but the referendum vote is not legally binding as Parliament actually has the final say. So if they want politicians can ignore it, though it might be political suicide.
Lots of people have said that G.

And no-one knows what sort of Brexit comes from a Brexit vote or how we do it. Particularly because there are conflicting impulses within the Leave campaign. The politicians won't ignore it but the idea that it creates a clear path doesn't reflect reality.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

As we discovered in the last election, polls don't mean a damn thing. However, take the seven most recent and largest polls and Remain sneak home 51-49. If it hammers it down in the South East later, that'll likely drive the Remain vote down (on the basis that voters wanting change will be more determined to cast their vote). Its going to be close-run thing!

I was out in Whitechapel last night, and you couldn't move for Remain campaigners and flyers. There was some hardcore campaigning there last night.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Please tell me which way to vote!

Remain:
Pros - Nothing really bad will happen......
Cons - ......yet!

Leave:
Pros - At least the vast majority of people who control my life will be knowable and accountable.......
Cons - ...........although they can change the rules and no going off to Europe to complain you've had a bum deal!
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Well it's too late now. I failed to register a vote.

Oh well, no celebration or gnashing of teeth for me....in the words of Doris Day, que sera sera.