We won 4-2

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: We won 4-2

Post by Selsey Bill »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote: ...and yes, I've had a couple of glasses of a lovely Rioja
As I suspected :wink:
But, I'll still feel the same way in the morning
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Jack_Tinn wrote:http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -2-wycombe

Pompey vs Wycombe goals are up.
Conor's goal is pure gold -he will be gone soon, but hopefully we'll get good money for the lad. He changed the game when he came on today - defenders hate playing against him - my MOTM
I agree with you SB - his goal was superb beating the defender with a flick up and over his marker and the header was beautifully placed and a lot more powerful than it looked at first glance. (Note to Wycombe keeper - no keeper should be beaten from that sort of angle, but then it was totally unexpected!)

I feel that the note that 'he will be gone soon' is a little defeatist - if we are to win promotion this season, then he is the sort of player that we should be nurturing and that the manager should be supporting by starting him as much as possible. At the moment, that isn't happening and his name should really be the first on the team sheet. If we are serious about reaching Division 1, then we have to keep players like Conor are vital. Come the winter months it will be more difficult to play the pressure game - the energy required is enormous and players come off the pitch totally wiped out, hence our need for the 'fox in the box'.

Whilst PC is at the helm, he has the ability and the squad to take us to Division 1....any further than that, I think we need a higher profile manager who can attract better players and maybe allow us to keep our 'jewels in crown' players, that are the difference between mediocrity and loftier aspirations. PUP
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:

Conor's goal is pure gold -he will be gone soon, but hopefully we'll get good money for the lad. He changed the game when he came on today - defenders hate playing against him - my MOTM
I agree with you SB - his goal was superb beating the defender with a flick up and over his marker and the header was beautifully placed and a lot more powerful than it looked at first glance. (Note to Wycombe keeper - no keeper should be beaten from that sort of angle, but then it was totally unexpected!)

I feel that the note that 'he will be gone soon' is a little defeatist - if we are to win promotion this season, then he is the sort of player that we should be nurturing and that the manager should be supporting by starting him as much as possible. At the moment, that isn't happening and his name should really be the first on the team sheet. If we are serious about reaching Division 1, then we have to keep players like Conor are vital. Come the winter months it will be more difficult to play the pressure game - the energy required is enormous and players come off the pitch totally wiped out, hence our need for the 'fox in the box'.

Whilst PC is at the helm, he has the ability and the squad to take us to Division 1....any further than that, I think we need a higher profile manager who can attract better players and maybe allow us to keep our 'jewels in crown' players, that are the difference between mediocrity and loftier aspirations. PUP

Pomp stop talking g out your ****. Cook took Chesterfield to the cusp of the championship in 2 and a bit seasons.

Chaplin will go when a suitable offer comes in for him irrespective of who the manager it.

League two and league one clubs sell players.
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Pompey1985 wrote:
Selsey Bill wrote:

Pomp stop talking g out your ****. Cook took Chesterfield to the cusp of the championship in 2 and a bit seasons.

Chaplin will go when a suitable offer comes in for him irrespective of who the manager it.

Thank you for your erudite and penetrating response Pompey1985.....if it's all right with you, I'll continue to debate issues with which you disagree - that's what makes this MB so interesting!
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Pompey1985 wrote:

Thank you for your erudite and penetrating response Pompey1985.....if it's all right with you, I'll continue to debate issues with which you disagree - that's what makes this MB so interesting!

What do you base your assumption that Cook can't take us further? Drop this side into League 1 and it's not going to be troubling the relegation slots, I'd even dare to suggest it' top 10 material. League 1 isn't much different from what I saw on our way down through the league's.

You claimed Forde was too old yet he is probably the best keeper in the division, your claiming Cook won't be able to take us much further should we get out of league two, yet he has already taken a team further! Lots of the players and I don't just mean Talbot and Roberts have given cook as part of the reason they joined Pompey.

Personally I feel their handling of Chaplin is spot on, Chaplin against tiring defences is a difference proposition to Chaplin against two brutes set on keeping 10 men behind the ball. Cooks job is to get this team promoted and that is on track, if cook thinks the best way to achieve promotion is to bring chaplin on at the right time then that's fine by me.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote: Lots of the players and I don't just mean Talbot and Roberts have given cook as part of the reason they joined Pompey.
I know he's not flavour of the month right now, but I know for a fact that Kyle Bennett dropped a league to join us because of PC. I believe Carl Baker too.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Selsey Bill wrote:
Pompey1985 wrote: Lots of the players and I don't just mean Talbot and Roberts have given cook as part of the reason they joined Pompey.
I know he's not flavour of the month right now, but I know for a fact that Kyle Bennett dropped a league to join us because of PC. I believe Carl Baker too.
I'm strongly led to beleive that Bennet is on exactly the same money he was on at Doncaster so it's not that we pay loads of money these players have dropped down a league.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

pomp 'n circumstance wrote: I feel that the note that 'he will be gone soon' is a little defeatist
I'd say I'm being more of a realist than a defeatist PnC. I said the same about Adam Webster around this time last year and look what happened! There are scouts from higher leagues watching Conor week in, week out, and they can't fail to be impressed. It wouldn't surprise me if Paul Cook deliberately kept him out of the limelight until the transfer window shut. Unlike Wittingham, Barker and Awford, Cook can spot a good player from a mile away. Trust me, he knows how good Chaplin is and personally think he is handling him perfectly at the moment. PUP
pompeymick
Martin Kuhl

Post by pompeymick »

As a Pompey supporter of 50yrs+ I admit to be very critical and disappointed of the way Pompey have played under Paul Cook, he has seemed to be inherently negative (though it never reached the 'you're not fit to wear the shirt' level). After a whole season of failing to breach disciplined teams that all came here with the same game plan of two banks of four and two fast outlets up front, he has now? acknowledged that fact and in the last two matches the whole impetus of the team has dynamically changed and the support from the fans has changed with it. We are at last watching football that is played positively with attacking intent all over the pitch. He, at last, seems to have changed his default from a 'clean sheet' to a 'you score one,we score two' mentality, something which the crowd at Fratton thrive on.
After the Carlisle match where he once again displayed his negative and belligerent side (I won't change my 'beliefs' whatever the situation) I felt we were once again in for a season at Fratton of massive meaningless possession with no positive outcome, but happily the last two home matches Paul Cook has shown he has got another string to his bow and long may it continue.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Im with SB here (again) on the PC debate.....anyone calling for him to go after a slow start don't fully understand football (in its entirety) so is poss where the 'dinlo' comment was coming from (?)

The playing style (for whatever reason but unlikely to be the FP fans) have altered in recent weeks - is it a permanent change or just the way PC set the team up against the teams we were playing who knows

As for Conor - well he is a rising star and its just a matter of when he leaves not if. Thats just the reality of football these days and if he leaves I wish the lad all the very best and a successful career too.

PUP !
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I have only seen the last three games, but for what it is worth one difference between the Colchester game and the last two was that in the last games Pompey have scored relatively early and so have not had time to run out of ideas. Also with each game they are bedding in more as a team and have built up a winning record which is good for confidence.

Having said that, the defence was pretty dodgy (and lucky) last Saturday and needs a bit of sorting out. Against that I thought that Wycombe were quite good going forward and were more prepared to play.