Alladyce gone

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Re: Alladyce gone

Post by Earl Grey »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:dear oh dear what a total nob.

And worse...the only guy I see out there is Steve "Boring" Bruce

ffs
Steve Bruce - please no.
Southgate - same thing....no
Pardew - not really.

Hoddle - yes but with someone like Lee Dixon with him.

Howe - yes - defo worth a try.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Howe & Hoddle would be a good combination
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

I'd still love to see Hoddle have another chance. The only footballing error (forgetting the other stuff for a minute) he made was giving in to pressure to start Beckham, when he wasn't ready to start a game yet and that led to the sending off. In that pre WC tournament, he showed his temperament wasn't quite right yet when he tugged the ref's shirt. But all the "experts" on the BBC and ITV went on and on and he gave in in my opinion. I think he has a great coaching head on his shoulders. Only other issue would be recent experience - when did he last manage? I quite like the idea of him and Howe though.

And let's face it, who the hell (that is good enough) would want to that job! They are all earning multi-millions a year now, so the money wouldn't attract the best. Add the British gutter press to the equation and I can't think of anyone worth their salt looking at it. Mind you, I'd do it for 67 days and get a 7 figure pay off - no problem :)
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Mickemo wrote:Howe & Hoddle would be a good combination
Genius idea, Mickemo. :thumb

Both football purists so at least we'd have attractive football even if we didn't win anything.....but I think it would be successful.
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Post by Portchester PFC »

Earl Grey wrote:
Mickemo wrote:Howe & Hoddle would be a good combination
Genius idea, Mickemo. :thumb

Both football purists so at least we'd have attractive football even if we didn't win anything.....but I think it would be successful.
As previously mentioned, i don't think Howe will go for it, i think he needs another prem management post before he takes on something like the England job/assistant job as if it all goes Pete Tong he will harm his career.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Guernsey Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Guernsey Blue »

FA confirm new England manager after he clarifies that the money was just resting in his account...
Ted.jpg
I daren't think too much, so I drink too much
Guernsey Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Guernsey Blue »

Apparently Hasselbaink, someone at Barnsley and that muppet that owns Leeds are next on the list.......

And, no, not as the next England manager, but the latest to be "stung", or whatever the appropriate term is, by undercover reporters.
I daren't think too much, so I drink too much
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Weybridge wrote:
Pompey Gary wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:dear oh dear what a total nob.

And worse...the only guy I see out there is Steve "Boring" Bruce

ffs
Yeah, that's what I fear. There's a lack a credible options around if it must be an Englishman.

Btw, the Scott McGarvey involved in this affair, does anyone know if that's the same Scott McGarvey who played so brilliantly for Pompey in the mid-80s?
Certainly appears to be the same guy. Unless Man U had two Scott McGarveys.
Two Scott McGarveys....there's only Two Scott McGarveys......Twooooo Scott McGarveeeeeys....etc etc
Div III. Call it what it is.
past memories
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 2 times

Post by past memories »

Apparently, Allardyce has gone with a £1.000,000 compensation. WTF ?
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

past memories wrote:Apparently, Allardyce has gone with a £1.000,000 compensation. WTF ?
Allardyce was seriously in the wrong here, but he held all the cards in dealing with the FA once they had decided he had to go. He could hang on as long as he wanted, and was happy to take the flak from the media, and force the FA though the whole process of trying to sack him. The probable outcome being that the FA would end up paying most of his contract anyway, plus all the costs on their side of the process, plus the embarrassment, plus the uncertainty around the England team. In the modern world, anyone who hasn't dealt with leaving a job in their contract and put themselves in a position to negotiate a serious severance package is just asking for trouble, and I am sure Allardyce's agent wouldn't make such a basic error.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
past memories wrote:Apparently, Allardyce has gone with a £1.000,000 compensation. WTF ?
Allardyce was seriously in the wrong here, but he held all the cards in dealing with the FA once they had decided he had to go. He could hang on as long as he wanted, and was happy to take the flak from the media, and force the FA though the whole process of trying to sack him. The probable outcome being that the FA would end up paying most of his contract anyway, plus all the costs on their side of the process, plus the embarrassment, plus the uncertainty around the England team. In the modern world, anyone who hasn't dealt with leaving a job in their contract and put themselves in a position to negotiate a serious severance package is just asking for trouble, and I am sure Allardyce's agent wouldn't make such a basic error.
a basic error like getting to have a meeting with people he hasn't checked out and agreeing to do dodgy deal with
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

portchesterblue wrote:
Pompey Penguin wrote:
a basic error like getting to have a meeting with people he hasn't checked out and agreeing to do dodgy deal with
True, but the England manager meets loads of people he doesn't know every day. They can't all be vetted by an agent. It was up to Allardyce to never say anything controversial; he has been in the game long enough to know.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Dear FA

You know that anti-corruption stance you’ve been a driving force behind for years now? That one, despite accusations to the contrary you’ve ultimately been vindicated of and helped to change the governance of world football?

Well, I’ve figured out a way to earn £400,000 by circumventing the laws you put in place to aid that transparency.

That'd be ok, right?

Sam
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Pompey Penguin wrote:
portchesterblue wrote:
Pompey Penguin wrote:
True, but the England manager meets loads of people he doesn't know every day. They can't all be vetted by an agent. It was up to Allardyce to never say anything controversial; he has been in the game long enough to know.
I agree PP, but this was a meeting specifically set up by his agent, it wasn't just a random meet. I am sure sam wouldn't agree to a bung if you just walked up to him, but if his agent has told him he has a meeting about a deal, he probably assumed that the agent thought they were kosher
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

Who the F is Ralf Rangnick?