Pompey v Newport

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Pompey v Newport

Post by RubiconCSL »

Holy crap, look at Exeter - 3-1 down and then two goals in extra time!
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Stevenage draw. So 6 pts clear now. It really is in our own hands now. I look forward to the BFTG reports.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

yup...Exeter rescue a point and stevenage also a draw.
Couldn't have been a much better day really
Div III. Call it what it is.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin

Post by RubiconCSL »

Spot on. Now if Donny can beat Plymouth, then could we really dream of stealing 2nd place? We've still got to play Plymouth at home and we have a far better GD.
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:yup...Exeter rescue a point and stevenage also a draw.
Couldn't have been a much better day really
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

As Cook has said, we should be looking up the table not down. Plymouth are certainly within reach and with the confidence that we currently have then it must be possible.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Yeah but there's no difference in 2nd or 3rd place so surely y'all would want Plymouth to win or have a draw, as after auto promotion, chumpions is the only useful prize innit?
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Yeah but there's no difference in 2nd or 3rd place so surely y'all would want Plymouth to win or have a draw, as after auto promotion, chumpions is the only useful prize innit?
We're still ten points behind Doncaster, so we're not catching them, but Plymouth just might. Let Donny stuff Plymouth, keep them looking over their shoulder and then we can have some jittery Pilgrims at Fratton Park in a few weeks.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Doncaster will be worthy and deserved champions.

Let them win tomorrow and keep Plymouth in the equation. Fighting for one of two places is better than just fighting for one. The way Luton and Carlisle have gone into reverse gear shows how quickly things can go wrong when confidence goes and teams HAVE to win games.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

We were saved by Jack. As soon as he came on we looked much more secure.

But that last 15 was torture.
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

Earl Grey wrote:We were saved by Jack. As soon as he came on we looked much more secure.

That's my kinda bftg report.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Match Highlights....you know I think that's Selsey Bill and Past memories in the crowd shots
[youtube][/youtube]
Pompey Gary
Milan Mandaric

Post by Pompey Gary »

Weybridge wrote:
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Yeah but there's no difference in 2nd or 3rd place so surely y'all would want Plymouth to win or have a draw, as after auto promotion, chumpions is the only useful prize innit?
We're still ten points behind Doncaster, so we're not catching them, but Plymouth just might. Let Donny stuff Plymouth, keep them looking over their shoulder and then we can have some jittery Pilgrims at Fratton Park in a few weeks.
I think you're both half right, Donnie aren't catchable by us and there isn't really any difference between 2nd or 3rd spot. I don't think Plymouth are actually under much pressure because they're a full 10 points clear of 4th. Pompey are the team most vulnerable from the chasing back and therefore under the most pressure - and that's ignoring the usual high level of expectations surrounding the club.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Earl Grey wrote:We were saved by Jack. As soon as he came on we looked much more secure.

We were saved by a Gareth Evans challenge at the end and Forde's save. Even the Sky highlights show the swing in the game in the last 15 minutes. It was very nervy, but I dread to think what it would have been like if that had been the last game of the season and we needed to win to get promoted!

You are right that it was good to see Whatmough back (again). He is out of contract this summer, although I assume that we will offer him something and he is not really in a position to move elsewhere having missed most of the last two seasons. It is going to be a big season for him next year. It will be interesting to see if Cook takes 3-4-3 seriously from pre-season as this might be the best use of Whatmough.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

I actually really enjoyed the game. Thought we played very well up till their goal.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1985 wrote:I actually really enjoyed the game. Thought we played very well up till their goal.
I agree. We have rarely been more in control of a game than this one, and I didn't find the last 15 as nervy as some. I always thought we'd see it out. Their goal was a very good header, but we just didn't close them down in their build up. What is important is that we keep Bennett and Naismith fit as they are so important to our team at the moment. Forde had another good game, Doyle (M) one of his better performances, and Baker has been a revelation of late. Interesting to see that Roberts wasn't even in the squad, but apparently he had a niggle. It really is in our hands now; as someone else said, every game is a cup final.