Oh joy, more politics incoming.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Oh joy, more politics incoming.

Post by This Time Next Year »

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Oh joy, more politics incoming.

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Good grief that's only 7 weeks!....it takes 2 years to run a campaign here.

I fear this is the continuing effort to ignore the referendum and keep y'all in Europe by any means necessary....she's hoping the pro euros will win big thus leaving a rather large dilemma
Div III. Call it what it is.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:Good grief that's only 7 weeks!....it takes 2 years to run a campaign here.

I fear this is the continuing effort to ignore the referendum and keep y'all in Europe by any means necessary....she's hoping the pro euros will win big thus leaving a rather large dilemma
That's always assuming that invoking of Article 50 is reversible. No-one knows for certain whether it is or not.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

The powers that be do not want Brexit to happen. They have been promising y'all a vote on it for over 1/4 century but alas, yall didn't vote as expected. I reckon you will see every possible delaying tactic in the hope of persuading the electorate to elect pro euro members to an in-ignorable majority in the commons. They (those guys) have realized Brexit will likely lead to bye bye Scotland and even Cheerio N Ireland thus reducing the former Bwitish Empire to Londinium, Hampshire and Sussex. It's the polite British way of ignoring the vote without the fixings of the likes of Turkey and Russia.
Tea and Europe revisited anyone?
Div III. Call it what it is.
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

I believe it is reversible right up to final severance.

...and while I'm here, why do Parliament have to have a 2/3 majority to trigger an election and the electorate get a simple split for referendums?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Pretty much spot on I'd say.
The Cincinnati Kid wrote:The powers that be do not want Brexit to happen. They have been promising y'all a vote on it for over 1/4 century but alas, yall didn't vote as expected. I reckon you will see every possible delaying tactic in the hope of persuading the electorate to elect pro euro members to an in-ignorable majority in the commons. They (those guys) have realized Brexit will likely lead to bye bye Scotland and even Cheerio N Ireland thus reducing the former Bwitish Empire to Londinium, Hampshire and Sussex. It's the polite British way of ignoring the vote without the fixings of the likes of Turkey and Russia.
Tea and Europe revisited anyone?
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
pompey24
Robbie Pethick

Post by pompey24 »

Milkins wrote:I believe it is reversible right up to final severance.

...and while I'm here, why do Parliament have to have a 2/3 majority to trigger an election and the electorate get a simple split for referendums?
Because when the coalition government came into power they did a fixed term parliament act. Governments have to last for 5 years unless 2 criteria are met. Once is two thirds of MP's and I think ithe other is no confidence in the government. The Royal Prerogative was abolished so unless she repels the Act or enough MP's vote for it the headline is misleading and she can't call it on her own
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

We have a General Election five days before the French. Brexit plans are going to be high on the agenda over here during campaigning. I bet Marine Le Pen is over the moon at this timing.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Milkins
Interim Manager

Post by Milkins »

pompey24 wrote:

Because when the coalition government came into power they did a fixed term parliament act. Governments have to last for 5 years unless 2 criteria are met. Once is two thirds of MP's and I think ithe other is no confidence in the government. The Royal Prerogative was abolished so unless she repels the Act or enough MP's vote for it the headline is misleading and she can't call it on her own
I get that - my point was more about why we're pulled out of the EU on a simple majority whilst something like triggering a general election requires 2/3 of MPs. This has nothing to do with my personal preferences - just an observation.

My personal preference is to go for 2/3 in everything that is single issue based. It indicates a true desire.
pompey24
Robbie Pethick

Post by pompey24 »

Milkins wrote:
pompey24 wrote:

I get that - my point was more about why we're pulled out of the EU on a simple majority whilst something like triggering a general election requires 2/3 of MPs. This has nothing to do with my personal preferences - just an observation.

My personal preference is to go for 2/3 in everything that is single issue based. It indicates a true desire.
I agree with the 2/3 majority. I said that with the referendum because it was so close and caused so much bitterness and lies on both sides.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I don't know how you can say that with any certainty. The actual wording of Article 50 does not say explicitly one way or the other, and as far as I'm aware, no court has given a ruling, because, again AFAIA, no court has ever been asked to give a ruling. Let's be honest, Article 50 was written on the assumption it would never be invoked.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Milkins
Interim Manager

Post by Milkins »

Locky_McLockface wrote:
I don't know how you can say that with any certainty. The actual wording of Article 50 does not say explicitly one way or the other, and as far as I'm aware, no court has given a ruling, because, again AFAIA, no court has ever been asked to give a ruling. Let's be honest, Article 50 was written on the assumption it would never be invoked.
No certainty in anything... but apparently we cannot be forced out of the EU. I believe if there is no agreement then it is down to member states to decide whether we can cancel - if they didn't allow cancellation, all kinds of unholy messes could ensue.

...well, they probably will ensue anyway.
Earl Grey
Interim Manager

Post by Earl Grey »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote:They (those guys) have realized Brexit will likely lead to bye bye Scotland and even Cheerio N Ireland thus reducing the former Bwitish Empire to Londinium, Hampshire and Sussex.
And I wouldn't count on Londinium staying with us either!
Stop looking for solutions to symptoms and start identifying the disease.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

At least it all detracts from the mushroom cloud looming over North Korea for a while.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Lost in Transportation
Guy Whittingham

Post by Lost in Transportation »

War is Hell...
Watching wheels spin and dust settle.