Brexit

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Brexit

Post by RubiconCSL »

False news!
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:36 am Heard a fascinating report today re a book recently out on the subject of the use of fake news and propaganda via social media.
The numbers quoted on Russian and other interference in the Trump election and in Brexit were staggeringly huge. As 1 brief example it is said that 58% of Trumps facebook followers were from outside the USA and mostly fake accounts.

It's here under the title The Weaponization of social media if you want a listen. Considering the size of this influence and the narrow victories in both cases, it doesn't reflect well for democracy.

https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Melbourne Graham
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Melbourne Graham »

Why do we always shoot ourselves in the foot ? Politicians should hide in shame at the way they have behaved over the last year, undermining all negotiations taking place and setting up Teresa May to fail. The EU negotiators have never been under pressure and were supported by in their job, they must have been rolling in the aisles with laughter at our negotiating stance. I don’t vote Conservative but do feel sorry for Teresa May who is trying to carry out of the wishes of the majority and is being undermined by her so called colleagues forcing us into a “ no deal” which suits no one.
What makes it worse at the moment is the lack of Pompey games to get rid of the frustration, even went to the Checkatrade game on Tuesday but surrounded by fans who preferred to sit quiet and looked at me when I was applauding the goals, can’t wait for the 27th and get back to the league and try to forget politics.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

We need another referendum with just two choices:

Option 1: the 500-page deal that has now been agreed with the EU (subject to further clarification in some areas)

Option 2: withdraw our application to leave and remain in the European Union with all the current agreements still standing, including the rebate negotiated by Mrs Thatcher.

Simples!
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

It’s a mess. Probably the only thing we can all agree on.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Noticeable that a certain Boris Johnson has been conspicuous by his absence from today's circus. Waiting for others to do the
back stabbing I assume.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:14 pm Noticeable that a certain Boris Johnson has been conspicuous by his absence from today's circus. Waiting for others to do the
back stabbing I assume.
Indeed. Probably aware that he who wields the knife rarely wears the crown.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Weybridge wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:37 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:14 pm Noticeable that a certain Boris Johnson has been conspicuous by his absence from today's circus. Waiting for others to do the
back stabbing I assume.
Indeed. Probably aware that he who wields the knife rarely wears the crown.
Precisely
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Milton End wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:12 pm We need another referendum with just two choices:

Option 1: the 500-page deal that has now been agreed with the EU (subject to further clarification in some areas)

Option 2: withdraw our application to leave and remain in the European Union with all the current agreements still standing, including the rebate negotiated by Mrs Thatcher.

Simples!
This - but it has to be in two parts A and B. A has the 587 page withdrawal agreement or a hard brexit (deal or no deal) and Remain/Leave (again) on the basis of the outcome of the first part..... and it will happen before the end of February. I am predicting the 3rd week of January -
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

Looking back as a Leaver myself, dear Mrs May was never up to the task of getting a deal, firstly her heart, as a Remainer, was never in the project and secondly she is not a strong tough enough cookie to take on the EU giants and has predictably been bullied in negotiations. Barnier and Tusk & Co have been more than a match for her.
just blue
Milan Mandaric

Post by just blue »

back stabbing I assume.
Yes, where is he and just what is Michael Gove up to?
Donald J Trump
Martin Kuhl

Post by Donald J Trump »

If I was PM you lot would have divorced the day after the referendum and all those failing Euro low IQ Johnnies would have paid us to leave.
Leave open the Irish border....wtf are they going to do if you leave incoming traffic open?
They need your market as much as you need theirs and they need your military and surveillance intelligence.
Negotiation 101
Done
Make America Great Again
past memories
Kev the Kitman

Post by past memories »

streetrifle wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:12 pm Looking back as a Leaver myself, dear Mrs May was never up to the task of getting a deal, firstly her heart, as a Remainer, was never in the project and secondly she is not a strong tough enough cookie to take on the EU giants and has predictably been bullied in negotiations. Barnier and Tusk & Co have been more than a match for her.
She`s working to the Bilderburgers agenda.
past memories
Kev the Kitman

Post by past memories »

Milton End wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:12 pm We need another referendum with just two choices:

Simples!
Have you read those 500 pages yet, read them and think again.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

If it gets voted down in parliament then what happens? Where does that leave us?

Also didn’t we have a referendum to join in the first place back in 1975? The people moaning about the idea of a second referendum now how come you don’t complain we already had one to determine is joining back then? Or is there some sort of idea that it’s ok but there needs to be an arbitrary period of time pass first?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:40 pm If it gets voted down in parliament then what happens? Where does that leave us?

Also didn’t we have a referendum to join in the first place back in 1975? The people moaning about the idea of a second referendum now how come you don’t complain we already had one to determine is joining back then? Or is there some sort of idea that it’s ok but there needs to be an arbitrary period of time pass first?
As I recall, there was no referendum to join but there was one to stay in 2-3 yrs after joining which was approved by a large margin.

As for referendums in general, there's a shedload of literature which explains why they are the worst form of democracy. Essentially, the great unwashed, uninformed parts of society get to vote on important carp.
Still....as Winston said....Democracy is the worst form of government.....except for all the others.
Div III. Call it what it is.