Southend

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Southend

Post by pompeygunner »

Dinksy wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:54 pm
Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:20 pm
pompeygunner wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:24 pm So happy to say well done KJ & the team.
I've been critical of KJ and his team recently, especially with regards to his team selection and substitutions or lack of them, but he has set the team up much better recently, and the big one for me last night is that KJ pretty much immediately brought on Harness when they pulled one back. Look what happened! Rather than trying to defend a lead we went for it and doubled our advantage instead.
True, although we made it safe only thanks to a debatable penalty decision. Had the ref not intervened, I wouldn't like to imagine how long it would have stayed 2-1 with Harness or without him. Southend offered almost nothing in the second half but these days it only takes one shot on target to unhinge us.
I don't get carried away when we lose, nor when we win. This side can prove what it's capable of this month. We will see.

Thought it was one of the most nailed on pens you'll ever see tbh.
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

I must mention Haunstrup who, coming on as sub for McCrorie, had a storming game - I may be wrong but I thought he made three of the goals with astute crosses/passes, the first one made the important opening goal for Marquis. He certainly teamed up well with Harness.
Haunstrup playing at right back (I thought he was purely a left back with a good left foot) looked head and shoulders above Bolton and McCrorie (who admittedly has pace but doesn't look like he knows how to defend). He must start the next match if there is any justice and I am unable to fathom out why a series of full backs like Brown, who is right off form, Bolton and McCrorie) were being preferred to him.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

streetrifle wrote:I must mention Haunstrup who, coming on as sub for McCrorie, had a storming game - I may be wrong but I thought he made three of the goals with astute crosses/passes, the first one made the important opening goal for Marquis. He certainly teamed up well with Harness.
Haunstrup playing at right back (I thought he was purely a left back with a good left foot) looked head and shoulders above Bolton and McCrorie (who admittedly has pace but doesn't look like he knows how to defend). He must start the next match if there is any justice and I am unable to fathom out why a series of full backs like Brown, who is right off form, Bolton and McCrorie) were being preferred to him.
Well I think we have to temper it a bit & remember that Brandon wasn't challenged last night to show his defensive qualities. He's always been decent enough going forward & his left peg @ this level is a bit of a wand. But where he's always been a bit lacking is positioning. Often caught upfield. Last night he was given licence to really get forward & it was taylor made for him. But a decent LW or LM would spot how one footed he is & make hay I fear if he's deployed @ RB. Hope not but feel that would be the case. But a storming game from Brandon last night. Great to see.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

pompeygunner wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:47 pm
Dinksy wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:54 pm
Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:20 pm
pompeygunner wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:24 pm So happy to say well done KJ & the team.
I've been critical of KJ and his team recently, especially with regards to his team selection and substitutions or lack of them, but he has set the team up much better recently, and the big one for me last night is that KJ pretty much immediately brought on Harness when they pulled one back. Look what happened! Rather than trying to defend a lead we went for it and doubled our advantage instead.
True, although we made it safe only thanks to a debatable penalty decision. Had the ref not intervened, I wouldn't like to imagine how long it would have stayed 2-1 with Harness or without him. Southend offered almost nothing in the second half but these days it only takes one shot on target to unhinge us.
I don't get carried away when we lose, nor when we win. This side can prove what it's capable of this month. We will see.

Thought it was one of the most nailed on pens you'll ever see tbh.
100% agree - from where I was sat it was a bonking certainty. Their defender literally dragged Raggett down. Stupid. Also, none of their players argued it was that blatant.